TheGrayGhost

NJ Sekela

Just wanted to pass on my recent experience with the reproduction vendor Nick Sekela (www.njsekela.com).

Earlier this month I purchased an M41 Field Jacket, one of the few WWII Gi items he sells. When I got it out of the box I could immediately see that the color of the shell and liner were pretty far off. But then again, color can be a little off in originals as well. Then I tried it on... The collar did not fit right, the epaulets were on the front of my shoulders and the back of my shoulders were so puffy from excess fabric, I could fit a parka under it. Needless to say, I was not pleased with the jacket.

The next week I contacted Nick about the issues i was having with the jacket, here is where it goes from bad product to horrible support:

To Nick:

Hello,

I would like to return this coat, I just really do not like the way it fits. It is unused. What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Brandon

To which he responded:

Exchange it for another size?

My response:

No, it's not a size problem, it is a fit problem. For some reason the back around the outside of the shoulders is loose and puffy and not tight like it should be, also the epaulets sit way forward on the shoulder. However, the rest of it seems to fit fine. I have worn a few M41s and can tell you the fit is different. I have been very happy with your service, just not, unfortunately, with this particular product.

Thanks,

Brandon

I received no response from the last email. A week later, after Thanksgiving. I wrote to Nick again:

Hello,

I am writing again about returning this jacket, I never heard back on my last message. What is the address I need to send it to?

Regards,

Brandon

He finally responded with this:

I thought about this and it is absurd to suggest that I make custom made M41 field jakets. We have a two day inspection and a 30 day guarantee on normal wear. You are long past the two day inspection.

Two Day Inspection! I couldn't believe that anyone could have a two day inspection policy. This made me a little angry...

I didn't ask for a custom m41, just for one that fits right. 2 day inspection is a ridiculously short period of time, every other business in the world (including mine) has a 30 day policy. I didn't even get a chance to try it on until after the 2 days. I haven't worn the jacket, I've only had it two weeks, and I don't want to argue about returning it!

Regards,

Brandon

Again, no response to my message, only silence. Today I wrote him again for the last time:

Nick,

Once again, another email without a response. As a business owner I am astonished at this lack of customer and product support. I cannot imagine treating one of my customers this way. If something is wrong with the product you make it right, if you can't make it right you offer alternatives, if you don't have any alternatives you allow the customer to get the right thing elsewhere. None of those things seem to be happening here.

I had high hopes of doing future business with you and was prepared to purchase the BFoNG Thompson as soon as it was available. However, if current experience of product quality and support is any indication, the gun would have to be field tested in 2 days and broken in less than thirty to get anything other than, too bad. If that be the case, my time and money are better spent elsewhere.

I wish to continue business with you, and hope to have a fast and satisfactory resolution to this issue.

Regards,

Brandon

To which I received the curt response:

The matter is closed.

I am not one to point blame, his "Shipping and Returns" page does indicate a 2-day inspection policy, but I is buried and in with another 30 day garment policy.

I mean to show this as a point of complete inflexibility and lack of caring about his customers. I will never purchase another product from this individual again.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

INTERESTED IN WWII ITEMS RELATED TO THE

CORPS OF ENGINEERS

Update:

Gave the product a poor review on his website, nothing inappropriate, just relaying my experience with the problems I had with my coat and my dissatisfaction with his 2-day policy.

My review has been removed and he has banned my IP.

Classy.

CORPS OF ENGINEERS

When I got it out of the box I could immediately see that the color of the shell and liner were pretty far off. But then again, color can be a little off in originals as well.

Keep in mind there is no one color. If you want a great education on this read what the crusty owner of ATF repros says at http://www.atthefront.com/us/uniforms/whatiskhaki.html

He has several graphics including this one:

khaki_4.jpg

I don't know why it is, but the repro makers/sellers seem to be especially crabby. Must be something in the dyes they inhale. :)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

He states in his returns policy the 2 day inspection period, and he also has an online support system.

To be perfectly honest, I myself, would not have exspected At The Front or WWII Impressions quality

for their price of $64.75 per jacket, but thats just me.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

There can be some "collective power" on the forum.......see the attached thread.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...amp;hl=arclight

Having said this, let me also say that you want to make sure that you are correct in what you believe are the sellers obligations and yours, under the "buyer, seller contract".

If you are in fact seeing things correctly, the members of this forum will support you. Especially if there have been other cases of misleading or deceitful conduct.

Stay tuned to this thread, and judge member response to your complaints.

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/301020-robin-ray/

I was looking at his stuff as a cheap option for my unit and for use in dressing up some kids for edufun. I realize that there is a lot of variation in color and was willing to expect that. But the fit was extremely poor, far beyond acceptable.

But what really got me was his attitude, he seemed completely unwilling to do anything to help.

I didnt find anything negative about him on the forum, and have had great experiences with many retailers in the community, so I assumed he would be the same. From what I have now been told, I am not the only one with trouble with his customer service.

$64 isn't much, but I was planning on buying a re-enactors Thompson from him that was complex and cost about $3000, image where I would be if something wrong there. That is the mistake I hope I can keep someone else from making and ending up with a $3000 paper weight.

@Forum Support - love ATF, he is a great read for content and entertainment. I have had great experiences with support from ATF.

CORPS OF ENGINEERS

That is a most unfortunate situation. I never heard of this site until your review. It is ashamed he treated your concerns in such an unprofessional manner. According to his website he is located in Butler, NJ which happens to be very close to where I live. Had this been a positive review I would have been eager to give him a try, especially being that he is local.

The 41 on his website appears to be a Swanson/Mil Tech made jacket. Is that what was sent to you?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I look at the timeline from when the jacket was delivered to when it was reported to the vendor. Having been a

reenactor I have personally witnessed people take brand new clothing and wear it for a public display then pack

it back up and send it back. I'm not saying this falls into that catagory, but the vendor dosen't know that. I got

one of the Sportsman Guide tanker jackets last year, when I tried it on I knew right then I didn't care for their

jacket, so right back in the box it goes and the next day it gets sent back. When something goes wrong I get on

a phone, I don't e-mail because I want somebody to know and understand EXACTLY what I'm talkin about so we

don't have any misunderstandings. I don't wait, regardless of a timeline.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Hi! Sorry for your woes. Did you use a credit card? Maybe contacting them? Paypal is always the best. Maybe better business bureau? Here is their web site.

www.newjersey.bbb.org Dont take this from a dealer. You are entitled to a refund. I have doggedly gone after creep vendors and have won all my cases. Just call the BBB and see if they have advice. It's free and cant hurt ya. Its your money and if you feel that someone has been dishonest or flat put lying, you do have rights. Just check it out. Email him and tell him that you contacted the BBB and that you left what happened on this site. He will get nervous!!!

Keep us posted!!

Paul

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have been a Civil War reenactor for the past 10 years and have had many dealings with Nick Sekela. I have always recieved a very well made product and had good service from him. Hope all works out for you.

Dirk

Rise from the grave, or ancient thread long dead!

Okay, I'm having some issues with this same seller, along somewhat similar lines.

On NJ Sekela's website he has listed some WWII fabric scraps. Thinking I could use these as the basis of a larger cloth comparison, I asked to order his entire supply, and he agreed to sell the whole shebang for $125. That was on Oct. 7th.

Now 2 months have gone by, during which time I have asked about them many times. He has told me that he has some of the scraps, but the rest of them are somewhere in his collection of 40 years of collecting, and that he hasn't found them yet. I've practically begged the guy to just knuckle down and find them or send me a refund, and he's basically said "yep, I'll get right on that" each time.

So now the conversation has gone like this:

----

Me: "I figure if the scraps haven't been found by now, they probably won't be any time soon. Could you please send me a refund? Once the refund is received, we can talk about my buying the scraps that are currently available and ready to send."

NJ Sekela: "
I will send what I have. There is more"

NOTE - I do NOT want this guy to send me a partial order before he has refunded me, as I don't want him being able to claim that he fulfilled the entire order, making it difficult for me to lodge a dispute if he sends me just a handful of scraps. I'm willing to buy the scraps he has on hand, but I want the old order nullified first, so the next purchase can be from a clean slate for a lesser amount. I've been down this road before.

Me: "Well, send the refund first. THEN we can figure out what pieces are available to send right now, and I'll pay for those separately. I don't want a partial shipment associated with this payment, I want the full payment returned so the next charge can be calculated separately."

NJ Sekela: "This is getting absolutely childish. I am NOT refunding you after tearing through my warehouse gathering everything for you, because you thing that it has taken too long. I will send what I have along with swatches of what else is here. It is over 40 years of collecting all in multiple tubs. I will send that today and we will go from there."

Me: "
Do not send me an item I have not ordered. I am launching a dispute with Paypal. I don't give a damn about how much time you spent searching for the scraps. I am not paying you for your time and/or carelessness in losing something you claimed to have, I am paying you for the item. No item, no payment."

----

I've launched a dispute with Paypal. I've been a Paypal user for nearly 20 years but I've never had to launch a dispute through them, so I'm hoping this turns out okay. But either way, I can see this guy obviously doesn't give a damn about his customers. Evidently I'm just a cash cow, and once he has my money in his pocket, he feels no real compulsion to live up to his end of the bargain.

EDIT - Paypal forced the refund, so there's that.

$64 isn't much, but I was planning on buying a re-enactors Thompson from him that was complex and cost about $3000, image where I would be if something wrong there. That is the mistake I hope I can keep someone else from making and ending up with a $3000 paper weight.

Same here. He claimed to have some other stuff that I was ready to purchase once this deal went through. Even if he hadn't found the rest of the supply, I was prepared to buy everything he did have at full retail, and then purchase his supply of other fabrics that he had found. In all, I was ready to go a few hundred bucks down that road with him just to start.

But he tried to jam me on a measly $125 for the time he spent looking for a thing he already sold me. And now he gets nothing, not even the $125 he tried to screw me for, and here I am blabbing about my bad experience to potential customers.

Hell of a way to run a business.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.