WWII VF-3 Felix the Cat Squadron Patch

KASTAUFFER

I posted pics of these patches on a thread here : http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=17512&st=0

I also thought they should be posted on their own here,

This is a shipboard made VF-3 patch on canvas and a blood chit that came from the estate of a retired VF-3 / VBF-3 Naval Aviator.

Its getting tough to find these ship board made patches.

VF-3/VBF-3 served on the USS Yorktown during the 1944-45 cruise.

post_105_1290893092.jpg

post_105_1290893099.jpg

Corpsmancollector

That is one stunning patch! I love the Felix the Cat patch, it's definitely one of the best WWII naval aviation designs.

Being a complete novice where patches are concerned, could you please elaborate on 'ship board made' (was this common, did it affect the quality of patches etc.)

Thanks for sharing!

They used this blue/grey canvas that was available on board ship and then stenciled/spray painted the design on to it. Most of the ones I have seen from VF-3 were cut apart with “ pinking “ shears which left the jagged edges on the patch.

Corpsmancollector
They used this blue/grey canvas that was available on board ship and then stenciled/spray painted the design on to it. Most of the ones I have seen from VF-3 were cut apart with “ pinking “ shears which left the jagged edges on the patch.

Thanks!

I'd imagine (like you say) that ship board made patches aren't that common? I really like the jagged edges, gives the patch a great look. Was the canvas used for these patches just surplus on board ship or there for a particular purpose?

Thanks!

I'd imagine (like you say) that ship board made patches aren't that common? I really like the jagged edges, gives the patch a great look. Was the canvas used for these patches just surplus on board ship or there for a particular purpose?

I think it might be the same canvas used for hatch covers ETC, but I could be wrong!

Kurt

teufelhunde.ret
I think it might be the same canvas used for hatch covers ETC, but I could be wrong!

Kurt

Sure does look like same material... :think:

Thanks for posting the VF 3 patch. I've seen these before, but yours confirms shipboard WW2 coming from the aviator's estate. What is the diameter if you don't mind me asking? Jeffro

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for posting the VF 3 patch. I've seen these before, but yours confirms shipboard WW2 coming from the aviator's estate. What is the diameter if you don't mind me asking? Jeffro

Sorry for the delay. It is 3.5 inches accross.

Kurt