WWII Era footlocker/trunk from US Embassy, London

Corpsmancollector

Corpsmancollector

During my lunch hour from work I stepped into a local antique shop I'd never been to before and it paid off! I saw this hiding in a corner and immediately recognized it as a WWII era footlocker. Much to my suprise it had the original markings on 4 panels (top, bottom and both sides) 'American Embassy, London England, 22635, US Dispatch Agent'. I've been looking for one of these for a while as I think they're great for display and storage, so this one fits the bill nicely!

Comments more than welcome. Especially what a 'US Dispatch Agent' might have done.

post-5339-1291059408.jpg

post-5339-1291059424.jpg

Really nice pick up Will...well done! Not the kind of thing that turns up every day in dear ol' Blighty! Now...if only it had its contents....?!

Ian :thumbsup:

Corpsmancollector
Really nice pick up Will...well done! Not the kind of thing that turns up every day in dear ol' Blighty! Now...if only it had its contents....?!

Ian :thumbsup:

Absolutely Ian! Every so often something will catch me off guard like it did today, where I thought 'it couldn't hurt to take a look for 5 minutes'. I'm a firm believer that things turns up in the most unlikely/strange places.

It's a shame there's no contents or the man's name and I think it's missing an inner tray also but I know of someone who might be able to construct one to original specs.

Hi Will. That's where our American buddies have a big advantage over us. How many times have you seen footlockers on the forum crammed with all manner of goodies, bought for peanuts (relatively) at garage and estate sales etc. Are we envious?......Hell yes!! :crybaby:

Ian ;)

Corpsmancollector
Hi Will. That's where our American buddies have a big advantage over us. How many times have you seen footlockers on the forum crammed with all manner of goodies, bought for peanuts (relatively) at garage and estate sales etc. Are we envious?......Hell yes!! :crybaby:

Ian ;)

I try not to think about it too much Ian, it keeps me awake at night :crying: (honest!)

Thats a great find you have got there well done thats for sure :thumbsup: handy for storage

Its not every day you do get to come across one of those in an Antique Shop. Well Done

Regards

Tomás

Corpsmancollector
Thats a great find you have got there well done thats for sure :thumbsup: handy for storage

Its not every day you do get to come across one of those in an Antique Shop. Well Done

Regards

Tomás

Thanks Tomas, they're a great display/storage solution.

Even though it's not specifically a USMC item, it's great to find some good US militaria in a suprising place! It's all about the hunt :thumbsup:

Ian ;)

Fully loaded footlockers at yard sale seem to be as American as apple pie... In France, they are always empty or full of mundane shirts and dozen of neckties.

Thanks Tomas, they're a great display/storage solution.

Even though it's not specifically a USMC item, it's great to find some good US militaria in a suprising place! It's all about the hunt :thumbsup:

Your welcome Will, :thumbsup:

No problem it might not be a USMC Item but its still an Excellent Find

And yes you are 100% right there great for storing away Items into very handy

and its from the Second World War.

Tomas.