My collection

zljones

One main thing I always look for when trying to distinguish between 1894 rates and 1905 is the chevron style. The 1894 style chevrons have stitching parralell to the edges such as the CPO Yeoman that Navyman posted recently in his collection section. The 1905-1913 pattern had stitching around the edges of the chevrons. The eagle also looks upward as was the style from 1905-1985, that is another thing I look for. I wish that was a 1894 CPO Carpenter's mate I have, I would be quite happy if it was since anything from that era is very hard to get.

Examples of chevron stitching (below). (Note: the eagle/crow on the left is a rare variant from the 1897-1905 era. Four examples of this design have been found in the last year. There is also a photo in John Stacey's book, on page 10, showing where a previous owner has "picked out" the thread from the legs, tail and nesting bar of this design's eagle so the rating badge would appear closer to the regulation rating badge design.) Jason, on this forum, also has two or three examples of this variant eagle design.

-dan

post-769-1291041543.jpg

Very nice collection. As a rate collector, I can appreciate the effort and the enjoyment.

-Fritz

Thank you for the kind word Fritz, I have also enjoyed looking at your CPO Airship riggers you posted in the past.

These were dropped in 1975 (according to John Stacey). Also at that time, Females were directed to wear the Male size marks.

Steve Hesson

Can you tell me which page that was on, I must have skipped that section.

Can you tell me which page that was on, I must have skipped that section.

pg 40, first para. I also remember it happening. It was a pen and ink change until 1978. They were really just an annoyance as there were four months between E-1 and E-2, and advancement was automatic, the stripes were not on there long enough for the Navy to bother stocking them. The Navy was shifting to the all embroidered insignia and didn't bother to make them.

Steve Hesson

pg 40, first para. I also remember it happening. It was a pen and ink change until 1978. They were really just an annoyance as there were four months between E-1 and E-2, and advancement was automatic, the stripes were not on there long enough for the Navy to bother stocking them. The Navy was shifting to the all embroidered insignia and didn't bother to make them.

Steve Hesson

I knew I read something like that in Stacey's book but I was not sure if I had read correctly, thanks for the clarification Steve.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sergeant Major of the Marine Corp established 1957. Green on red chevrons.

The position was created in 1957. This design was established in 1970. From 1959 until then the SMMC wore a standard sergeant major chevron. From 1957 to 1958 he wore the original chevron of 3 stripes up and 3 rockers down with a 5-point star in the angle of the chevrons.