WWII deep wave submarine combat patrol insignia

Josh B.

Again, this one still utilizes the 4-nub roller, which is different from the typical examples of this style badge I've seen that use the ball type catch. So, does that put it slightly earlier in manufacture, or just a case of using whatever hardware was in stock?

post-50776-0-34240100-1383814487.jpg

Last item of interest is the type of stars. Unlike the earlier one posted, this has the crimped stars. Upon closer examination, it appears the stars are made from a silver colored metal and the tops are gilted. The gilt is wearing through on this example but you can still see the gold color.

At first, I thought the stars might be two-piece, as there is a noticeable ridge midway through but, I am not sure that's the case anymore. You can see by the reverse, these are clearly silver metal and it would seem near impossible and difficult (not to mention expensive & time consuming) to mount two pieces of such small size IMHO.

That brings me to the following conclusion: Perhaps why we see some examples where the stars are filed down, might be the submariner's attempt to change the appearance of a gold star, to appear silver denoting another award.

It would certainly be easier filing off the gold color to denote the fifth or successive "successful patrol" than having to remove a gold star and replace it entirely. Speculation on my part but it seems to make sense.

post-50776-0-40755700-1383815499.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim,

Nice Vanguard, and it sold for a very nice price. I forgot to throw a bid at it myself! Note the obvious bronze colored pin shaft. Sometimes as patina accrues on the planchet and pin its hard to tell the color difference.

Morning Josh!

Thank you and happy to see RC made a new section here just for subs!! Perhaps we will see more inputs now that the forum topic is easier to find.

Yes, the final price was actually $40. less than the first time it sold; winner failed to pay and I guess its another case where these clowns continue to bid on items just to jack up prices and never plan on actually paying. Worked for me this time!!

My understanding is, all the Vanguard pieces have this brass pin, or at least that was Jone's observations from reading his book.

Tim

Hi Tim

Yes I recall that useful pointer about Vanguard's patrol pins in Jones's book. However, one of mine has an apparently non-brass pin. Not sure what that means, if anything, but it is what it is!

Josh

Josh,

I personally wouldn't put too much into it, as long as it looks period. No author or reference calls out every possible variation and I think even Jones acknowledges that fact in his book; it was what he personally observed at the time of writing it.

Tim

• 5 months later...

This is an excellent post. Thanks to Tim and Josh for their work. Jones' book is not the last word on badges but I will say he came pretty close to listing most of the types collectors will likely encounter. By the way, he's a very nice guy and graciously helps other collectors.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...