AMERICAN MEMORIAL SERVICE, ALDBOURNE ENGLAND

FAAA

American Memorial Parade, Remembrance Sunday

img155.jpg

DSCF4143.jpg

On Sunday 14th November a detachment from the First Allied Airborne Associations Color Guard swapped dirty Jump suits and HBT fatigues and replaced them with squared away Class A Uniform and spit shined Jump Boots to muster in Albourne for the American Memorial service in the Village Church.

Working in support of the Screaming Eagles Living History Group all aims was achieved and a successful service was undertaken.

The day started early with the Color Guard arriving in the village in time to attend the villages Remembrance Sunday service at the war memorial outside the Aldbourne Village Hall. For this smart civilian clothes were the order of the day for the team. After a short service to include the minutes silence and Kohima the congregation were invited into the hall to continue the service.

DSC00513.jpg

Troops Start to arrive in Aldbourne

DSC00473.jpg

Rev Simon Weeden performs the service for the village of Aldbourne

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

The team from here moved up to the Church to recce the service location and “Walk Through, Talk Through” the format of the posting and retiring of the colors. The church its self is steeped in history and dates back to the 12th century. It was this church that Lt Richard Winters chose to visit regularly instead of of using his passes to visit the towns and cities near to Aldbourne. Behind the church Dick Winters often sat contemplating his Regiments and personal part he would play in the forthcoming invasion. For those with an interest in the 101st and US airborne of WWII in general we were for sure on hallowed ground, certainly for us in the Color Guard the significance of the church and village was one of the main reasons we felt obliged to return and pay our respects to the American Forces of WWII.

2719585462_81a5253571.jpg

St Michaels Church Albourne

DSC07161.jpg

Service in Ramsbury home of 3rd Battalion 506th

To gear up in WWII American Uniform, in fact any uniform from past wars on such a day as Remembrance Sunday can understandably be seen as controversial and I have no doubt some in the hobby reading this may have something to say about it, however the decision to do this was not taken lightly, as a former member of HM Forces I felt uncomfortable about this initially, however knowing it in no way detracted from the Royal British Legion Sunday Morning Remembrance service I had agreed the year before to get involved. Now having seen the gratitude expressed by the Serving American Officers who have attended I now feel a lot more comfortable with the marking of the day in such a way and looked forward this year to the memorial service safe in the knowledge that at least those American serving Officers attending were happy with what was taking place.

At 1400hrs the SELHG Troops who had that morning had split to attend both the Aldbourne and Ramsbury services assembled on the village green ready to receive the two American Officers, Lt Colonel Johnson US 1st Infantry Division and Maj Hamilton USMC. After a short inspection where the two Officers spoke with many of the groups members the troops moved up to the Church for the service, the Color Guard were in position at the entrance, on passing the colors the Officers saluted their national flag before taking their seats at the front of the church.

DSC07226.jpg

DSC00602.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00587.jpg

The service was conducted by Rev Simon Weeden who had much experience in undertaking Remembrance Services and had conducted the service in Aldbourne that morning. Simon had indicated to me that he was not fully understanding of the wearing of WWII uniform at the service, but was fully supportive of its aims, after the service Simon was very keen to see the memorial service happen again and was behind the ethos of what we were all trying to do. I was pleased that at least our combined efforts had educated people to what we at least are all about and had gained official support of this Church.

As soon as the congregation was seated the service started with a warm welcome from Simon, after which 1st Lt Kate Lees read the 506th Prayer, the Colors were posted. With background music booming the colors were presented and laid up in front of the Alta.. After the simple and moving service where Colonel Johnson read a very poignant reading the Colors were retired.

DSC00626.jpg

DSC07301.jpg

DSC07303.jpg

aldbournememorialday116.jpg

aldbournememorialday117.jpg

aldbournememorialday118.jpg

Col Johnson reminded us that conflict goes on and today many of the same units who fought in WWII are still at war. What at the time was not know to any of us was on the same day we were remembering the fallen of the 506th and other units of the 101st Airborne todays the 101st Airborne Division were still paying the ultimate sacrifice.

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of five soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

They died Nov. 14 in Kunar province, Afghanistan, when insurgents attacked their unit with small arms fire.

Killed were:

Spc. Shane H. Ahmed, 31, of Chesterfield, Mich.

Spc. Nathan E. Lillard, 26, of Knoxville, Tenn.

Spc. Scott T. Nagorski, 27, of Greenfield, Wis.

Spc. Jesse A. Snow, 25, of Fairborn, Ohio.

Pfc. Christian M. Warriner, 19, of Mills River, N.C.

They were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.

DSCF4144.jpg

I am as always very proud of the performance of the guys in the group who undertake the duties of the Color Guard, none of which have any previous Military training, but give 100% to the tasks we are given, as far as I was concerned their drill was flawless and it was another good job completed.

WWII Veteran of A Company 506th sent this message

What a wonderful tribute to all veterans.

The detailed precision of movements, the flagstaffs held exactly verticle, the sermon and the location, in church. Held in holy dignity as it should be for those British and American who gave all.

Our thanks to the Church and Church officers for their permission to hold services for fallen comrades in the cause for freedom worldwide, and for their personal appearance.

Thank you each and every one, may God Bless,

Don Burgett, Sgt, WWII

A Co, 506, 101st Abn

Formely Aldbourne, England, 1944-45

The one thing this special service has done is to bring a group of people together who may normally have done no more than watched the Sunday morning march past on the TV and the Screaming Eagles Living History Group should be commended for doing just that. The Memorial Service will again take place next November on Remembrance Sunday, it is hoped that perhaps more Living Historians will join the current serving US Military representatives and the locales for this very special memorial service.

Lee Bowden

Color Guard Commander

First Allied Airborne Association

After the Memorial Day I stayed in contact with Colonel Johnson and I asked him if I could use his reading in my report on here and the ones forwarded to the 506th Association and the Curahee troops on operations, the Col graciously gave his permission and I reproduce it below.

For those who ever wonder what the current serving American Military feel about what we do, while I cannot speak for everyone, this senior Officer understands why we do this hobby in the way we do and supports the wearing of the American Uniform of WWII and all that goes with it. While we do not ever seek permission to undertake the honourable hobby of WWII Living History, it is reassuring to know such experienced Combat officers such as Col Johnson are behind our aims.

aldbournememorialday117-1.jpg

It is an honor to return to Aldbourne to again represent the United States Ambassador and the United States Army at this simple yet solemn ceremony. It is yet another honor to again be part of a ceremony that keeps alive so many memories. The memory so vivid that lives today in the men of the Screaming Eagles Living History group and the First Allied Airborne Association, if CPT Richard Winters and his band of brothers were here today they would be humbled as this was never why they or the men of the 506 PIR went to war in 1944. They went to war more simplistically, because their nation asked. It is on this occasion, Remembrance Day we take time out of our lives to remember the sacrifice of so many that have come and gone before and to those in harm’s way today in all corners of the globe.

Remembrance Day is not about us the living, but friends, comrades and allies who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. It is the willingness of free men and women who, when their nation calls, they answer and it is that answer that has been heard many times in many areas as we try and bring the ideals of freedom to all corners of the world.

I can think of no greater place to be on Remembrance Day then in the United Kingdom and in the village of Aldbourne to honor the sacrifice and remember the veterans both United States and United Kingdom past present and future. The sacrifices of our veterans are the enduring tribute to the grand ideals and freedom that form our national identity. Those enduring symbols are in every city, every town and every village as a living memorial to what it means to be free and that freedom is never without sacrifice. Our fallen service men and women define us as a people, a culture and a nation and they represented the best of what our nations have to offer. It is the military that secures our nations prosperity; it is a Soldier who stands watch ready to responds when our nations call. It is the military that is the 2nd most recognized symbol of our Nation behind our national colors. Between our collective nations over the last five hundred years it has not been our diplomats that brought peace and prosperity. It is not our politicians that fight for the freedom and prosperity they enjoy that responsibility lies with the Soldiers, Sailors and Marines who ensure our security throughout the world.

John F. Kennedy once said "a nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but by the men it honors, the most importantly the men it remembers."

I would be remiss if today I neglect to mention World War 1, the war to end all wars, the first of the modern world wars and the spark that triggered the formal establishment of Remembrance Day. After five years of combat the United Kingdom lost over 1.1 million killed. That sacrifice alone totaled 2.1% of the entire national population a staggering amount to ensure peace in Europe. That was a humbling sacrifice for Freedom and one that is remembered in every community with a monument to the fallen. If these walls could talk you would hear the stories of sacrifice from the families of the fallen from the first 1st English Civil War 1130-1150 to Helmand Province.

I would like to personally thank the 101st Airborne Living History Group for sharing this day with us, a couple of American Veterans of our current conflicts. It is your efforts who so humbly keep alive the memory of Easy Company 506 PIR who trained, lived and drank here in this village in the months that led up to D-Day. It was the Blue Boar where my family ate again today, that the Officers of the 506th called their mess. However, while theirs is a mission to honor the memory and courage of Easy Company, from their ranks there are veterans I would be remiss if I did not mention that several of the men here are British Veterans from the Falklands to the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Thank you for your service.

As I close I honor the memory and sacrifice of our fallen. For the British, from Hastings to Agincourt to the Somme and Helmond Province; For America, from Yorktown to Antietam to Normandy and the Middle East we will never forget your sacrifice - I salute you.

Outstanding. I'm very thankful that our friends in the UK remember the men that invaded your country in 1942. At times I think you honor our fathers better then we do here.

Thank You Again.

Appreciated

We try to do our best by them, if we can give something back in regards to remembering, then we are achieving our aims, God bless them all

LB

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I appreciate that you represent our military better than many in the States. Troops were filthy in the field but in garrison they were mostly proud of their uniforms; especially Paratroopers.

Of course those that can't shine boots will claim that it was never done. That the Filthy 13 and Dirty Dozen was the true representation of military life in wwii.

Rock

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I appreciate that you represent our military better than many in the States. Troops were filthy in the field but in garrison they were mostly proud of their uniforms; especially Paratroopers.

Of course those that can't shine boots will claim that it was never done. That the Filthy 13 and Dirty Dozen was the true representation of military life in wwii.

Rock

Rock

Thank you for you kind words Rock.

I guess it may be striking a balance. As a former serving Soldier, Airborne too you will know all Military personel start off in Barracks regardless of what unit they end up in, Elite or not, all learn the basics of Soldiering and that includes an element of Bull and lots of disipline. I have come across many fine Living History Group, of all periods, many on here and on the Dutch forums, by far the better groups and individuals IMHO are those who can do both Scenarios, in Camp and in the field.

I will leave it up to others to argue the point, what is easier, Dirty in the field or In camp with all that goes with that! In regards to ourselves we like to do both and continue to learn.

Regards

Lee