Your Best Pick Up of the Year?

Jim Baker

I would list 4 (hard to single out so few though...)

- WWI Victory Medal with 4 bars

- USAAC Blue Star service flag

- Collection of 21 PEP Squadron pins

- Small grouping of BrigGen Robin Olds' memorabilia

craig johnson

My best cart pick up of the year is a 1942 Marine Corp contract RL-16A Cable Reel Cart

933645371_fvjmD-M.jpg

933644720_Gnhec-M.jpg

Photo from historylink101.com

Communication personnel of US Marines on Guadalcanal lay a telephone line through a coconut grove.

479041825_XCGW9-L.jpg

310583154_sTtn6-M.jpg

I've had quite a few great pick up's this year and I've narrowed it down to two... sorry, I can't bring it down any further. First up: WWI 90th Infantry Division Chaplain Uniform Group of Chaplain Walter O. Lewis

Chaplain_Lewis_012.jpg

msg_13667_1281164574_1.JPG

I shared this on the "Latest Finds & Acquisitions" thread but figured I'd post it here since it's my favorite find this year.

John

HenryAshby.jpg

My best and favorite find of the year is a British made 52nd Troop Carrier Wing DI. I don't have a pic of it as I'm pretty tech challenged about those things.

My Best pickup of the year was a named Ike jacket with collar brass and DUI's and Brassard from the 62nd Military Police Company (Highway Patrol)

Second up: 101st AB, 501st PIR Market Garden time period Medic helmet:

Wow! Scott, that is one awesome lid!! I am verrrrrrrry jealous! :thumbsup:

(I really like the Chaplain uni as well, but this helmet is incredible!)

Rick

If this WW2 USN Captain's combination cap looks vaguely familiar it's because I purchased off a fellow forum member some weeks ago. It's a real beauty and I'm delighted to own it! As you can see, the cap device is handmade bullion which adds to the overall appeal of the cap.

post-8022-1291317281.jpg

vintageproductions

The two best pieces we found this year are, this USN SACCO 14th Air Force Attached Intelligence patch set:

sacco.JPG

Then the next best is this South Vietnamese Army 23rd Infantry Regimental Flag. I have collected ARVN for 30+ years and have never seen one of these on the open market, only a very few photos in books. By the construction it looks like late 50's - early 60's, and was brought home by a US advisor.

flg1.JPG

flg2.JPG

I will be the first to admit I am very jaded on what gets me excited in the militaria field anymore, but everytime I look at this flag its like finding the Holy Grail.

:jeal0001:

Great thread ! I am super jealous of Doyler... jealous of Arch.... and back in my younger years I would have been totaly jealous of Bugme ! :bravo:

I think this DCU would have to be one of the best finds for me this year. This is an early DCU with all early Afghan made insignia.

Really really nice! :jeal0001:

Well since I am now old and now single and my house (mind you I don't have shoe boxes Like General Apathy) is full of old Army junk...this has been my best pick up of the year!

post-261-1291453975.jpg

Well since I am now old and now single and my house (mind you I don't have shoe boxes Like General Apathy) is full of old Army junk...this has been my best pick up of the year!

:w00t:

Come on man, you ain't that old......... yet.

You know your shot out when you turn on that bathroom light in the morning and can't remember who that guy looking at you is!! ;)

My best finds this year, with some help from Dave on the first, are my Great-Cousin's uniform and medals from WW1(some of the stuff I had already from my Gramma)

PICT0017-1.jpg

scan0031.jpg

scan0035.jpg

MORE:http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/WW%201/Rainbow%20Division/Pvt%20Howard%20Cummins/

and a bunch of pictures and a unit history from my Uncle Russel in WW2

scan0020.jpg

scan0012.jpg

MORE:http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/WW2%20US%20stuff/Army/Groupings/Pfc%20John%20R%20Finster%20Co%20A%20801st%20TD%20Bn/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

I've bought a lot of cool stuff this year. However, of things that MEAN the most to me, this is by far one of the most meaningful things in my collection. It is an ammo holder taken from an insurgent during the fighting around Fallujah in November 2009. It is signed by the person who captured it, along with the nice letter, a couple of coins, etc. This means a lot to me because it was from a friend...and will never leave my collection.

Dave

NatonskiCaptured.jpg