Your Best Pick Up of the Year?

Jim Baker

This is only one of my favorites of this year.

A Fairbairn-Sykes 1st Pattern Dagger by Wilkinson Sword

post-8213-1291573031.jpgpost-8213-1291573597.jpg

:w00t:

SWEET!!!!

Curved guard too..shes a beauty

Ron

Great looking group Jim..Im still working on the Bronze for ya.. :thumbsup:

Thanks!! That would be icing on the cake. :thumbsup:

My best finds this year, with some help from Dave on the first, are my Great-Cousin's uniform and medals from WW1(some of the stuff I had already from my Gramma)

PICT0017-1.jpg

scan0031.jpg

scan0035.jpg

MORE:http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/WW%201/Rainbow%20Division/Pvt%20Howard%20Cummins/

and a bunch of pictures and a unit history from my Uncle Russel in WW2

scan0020.jpg

scan0012.jpg

MORE:http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e400/1stDivVet/WW2%20US%20stuff/Army/Groupings/Pfc%20John%20R%20Finster%20Co%20A%20801st%20TD%20Bn/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

NICE......... VERY nice!! :thumbsup:

This is probably my best pick up of the past few years; An Army Certificate of Merit Medal group that I acquired in August. The first five medals are numbered (Certificate of Merit No. 49) and all trace to Sgt. (later 1st Lt.) James W. Willford. The CoM was awarded for an action on Samar in the Philippines in 1901. A thread on the group is posted here; http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=84817

I'd wanted an attributed Certificate of Merit group for many years. However, less than 400 were ever awarded, so they're very difficult to find and prohibitively expensive when they do turn up.

post-10651-1291746223.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
This is probably my best pick up of the past few years; An Army Certificate of Merit Medal group that I acquired in August. The first five medals are numbered (Certificate of Merit No. 49) and all trace to Sgt. (later 1st Lt.) James W. Willford. The CoM was awarded for an action on Samar in the Philippines in 1901. A thread on the group is posted here; http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=84817

I'd wanted an attributed Certificate of Merit group for many years. However, less than 400 were ever awarded, so they're very difficult to find and prohibitively expensive when they do turn up.

Bravo Adam! Always a pleasure to a Samar group! s/f D.

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite pick up of the year, my 80th Division Officer's grouping... trunk, uniforms, headgear and a Silver Star winner to boot!

Wow, that is one extensive grouping. Very impressive.

Hi,

probably three of my best pick up of 2010....!!!

ijoc6hinii.jpg

i8e9jtxopu.jpg

04r2110o1u.jpg

Merry Christmas to all forum members and their families.

Cheers,

Easy502

I've bought a lot of cool stuff this year. However, of things that MEAN the most to me, this is by far one of the most meaningful things in my collection. It is an ammo holder taken from an insurgent during the fighting around Fallujah in November 2009. It is signed by the person who captured it, along with the nice letter, a couple of coins, etc. This means a lot to me because it was from a friend...and will never leave my collection.

Dave

AMAZING!!!! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

My red lined English made 93rd bomb group bomber pilot's ike was my best find of the year. He bombed Berlin twice in one day and this beauty cost me $20 at a Goodwill.

IMG_1120.jpg

Second up: 101st AB, 501st PIR Market Garden time period Medic helmet:

I would give up almost any of the wonderful things i picked up this year for this amazing lid. I have been lucky for sure but not this kind of lucky. What a beauty!!!!

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Love this group! And, super rare to boot!

Jack

I've had quite a few great pick up's this year and I've narrowed it down to two... sorry, I can't bring it down any further. First up: WWI 90th Infantry Division Chaplain Uniform Group of Chaplain Walter O. Lewis

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Here is my best (well one of them) from this year. This is the tunic and pants of CPT Harlowe Harding, who commanded the Radio School as Issodun France for the Air Service in WW1. The guy that I got this from, had run into a research dead on it. I hit Gorrels and tried searching for the possible French spellings of his last name, since Gorrel's used French transcribers. Well, his last name was spelled Hardique vice Harding. Picking up NARA paperwork at the end of the month. I think (as does cwnorma, who has seen this live) it is a French wing. Either way, I'm happy with it.

Jack

post-21147-1295112328.jpg

post-21147-1295112338.jpg

post-21147-1295112348.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

MINE WOULD HAVE TO BE THIS GROUPING FROM A TOP TURRET GUNNER IN THE 15TH A/F I MEAN I GOT EVERYTHING FROM THIS AIRMENS SON. UNIFORM, PAPER WORK, ENGRAVED, DSC, AM, DIARY, LETTERS HELMET LIONER, " GARAGE SALE FIND, LARGE GROUPING OF A B24 TURRET GUNNER"http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=88489&view=findpost&p=647701

It is great to see how many wonderful items there are still out there waiting to be found. "There's Gold in them there hills!" Keep digging boys! :thumbsup: