Your Best Pick Up of the Year?

Jim Baker

It's almost December. I'd like to see what folks consider their BEST pick up of 2010. Anything US goes...... medals, guns, knives, patches...... and of course all the way until the end of the year. Decisions, decisions........ :think:

Here's one of mine.

post-78-1290876215.jpg

Hi,

My the best pick up of the 2010:

Untouchable group of BEF soldier - 5th U.S. Army (with one unknown Smoking Snakes patch drawn for Walt Disney).

LV_FEB1.jpg

copyrights_FEB_LV.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Hmmmm..... :think: I have to say that ONE of my great ones from this year has to be this green/blue combo I picked up, thanks to a collaborative effort of a couple friends on the Forum. Have yet to see it in person, but a few more months and I get a closer look!

Semper,

Ski

post-1867-1290878173.jpg

Just one of my "Best" - will be seen in a forthcoming thread

Niiiiiiiiiiice! "Officer Quality" to boot! Looking forward to seeing more of this guy! :thumbsup:

Semper,

Ski

teufelhunde.ret
Niiiiiiiiiiice! "Officer Quality" to boot! Looking forward to seeing more of this guy! :thumbsup:

Indeed it is, one of the finest WW2 enlisted I've put hands on. Served 1916-47...

jones3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Holy Cow that's a lot of hashmarks! Did you get the uniform by itself, or was there a grouping for this salty Gyrene?

Sadly, just the tunic, and rebuilding from there. The first and last names are EXTREMELY COMMON and requests have been at St Louis for 3 months trying to ID file, and 2 months w/ hired researcher.... very exasperating as I cannot rebuild rack until file is in hand. Albeit I have all the muster rolls, 19 Leatherneck magazine artilcles... But, w/o files :think:

Are you planning on using Wolf/Brown type ribbons, or modern replacements? Reason I ask: a few months ago I won a uni off of ePay, but lost on the ribbons (I know which ones they were, though...)

Any idea where to get some period replacements, or suitable substitutes?

Please post when you get the tunic "restored"!

Semper,

Ski

(BTW, sorry if this post appears to be "hijacking" the thread, mods feel free to move/remove if necessary)

I have has several great pick-ups this year but I'd have to say my BEST and favorite is this one, (recently featured in a posting in the helmet section)

My ID'd M1-C...with matched Westinghouse liner, shell with full chinstraps and chincup... :thumbsup:

Rick

post-9167-1290879944.jpg

post-9167-1290879995.jpg

post-9167-1290880168.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Any idea where to get some period replacements, or suitable substitutes?

Going the Viking Qwik-Set style, had begun buying misc ribbons of all styles here & ebay, quickly became a PITA. Fortunately a forum member came forwarded and offered to end my pain and build the rack using all period ribbons with similar/identical patina and wear.... just waiting for St Louis or researcher to come up with file and finish for a thread. s/f D.

My overall best pickup of the year was a Co-Belligerent Italian dress uniform but...

My best US pickup of the year was this little sweetie:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=90871

Tom

yeah, that is a sweet find Tom! It pays to watch other 'obscure' listings sometimes, you never know what you'll come up with!

Congrats on this one! :thumbsup: '

Rick

BILL THE PATCH
Hi,

My the best pick up of the 2010:

Untouchable group of BEF soldier - 5th U.S. Army (with one unknown Smoking Snakes patch drawn for Walt Disney).

LV_FEB1.jpg

copyrights_FEB_LV.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

the brazil patch is a very rare patch from ww2. it's for the brazilian expeditionary forces. and you have it on a uniform. nice

Brian Dentino
Hmmmm..... :think: I have to say that ONE of my great ones from this year has to be this green/blue combo I picked up, thanks to a collaborative effort of a couple friends on the Forum. Have yet to see it in person, but a few more months and I get a closer look!

Semper,

Ski

Oh snap Ski, that is a GREAT looking pair of jackets! Wow....so you HAVE been busy ;) while you have been away...... :w00t: Can't wait for you to get home so that you can start going through all your boxes and remembering things that you picked up along the way. Nice! :thumbsup:

My best pick up of 2010;

TDdogtags.jpg

Dogtags from a soldier in the 817th TD Bn.

I have been looking for TD dogtags for a very long time and finally was able to obtain a set.

And I also have been able to find information on this soldier.

Erwin

My best:

Uniform of 1st. Lt. William H. Mooney

British 211 Squadron

DH-9 No. D565

WWI ~ Wounded in Action ~ Prisoner of War

VERY Impressive!

Tom

It's almost December. I'd like to see what folks consider their BEST pick up of 2010. Anything US goes...... medals, guns, knives, patches...... and of course all the way until the end of the year. Decisions, decisions........ :think:

Here's one of mine.

post-78-1290876215.jpg

Me too :thumbsup: (maybe next year!!!)

post-1424-1290903435.jpg

post-1424-1290903589.jpg

Definite toss-up here between the named / numbered WWI Marine Purple Heart grouping (even if the vic medal is added) and the Gen. JS Turrill document grouping, especially the Belleau Wood stuff.

Ski -- I really like the greens/blues set you snagged there.

Teufelhunde -- can't wait to see how that uniform you got turned out.

Great stuff guys!! Keep it coming, it's the best of the best!

I'm waiting for Scottplen to get on here. He's gotten some nice goodies this year.