WWI Air Service Silver Star & Purple Heart

bobgee

Upon seeing the the discussion on WWI Purple Heart medals to Aviation recipients resurface, I thought I'd share a recent acquisition. Obtained from an old collection along with the Col. Waltz group previously discussed, I have been awaiting the Award Cards from NARA St. Louis, Alas, they did not surface so more work will be required to find them.

The medals, along with the original Pershing Commendation for Distinguished and Exceptional Gallantry, surfaced 20 - 25 years ago at a NE U.S. medal auction. The collector from whom I purchased them stated that he received them as shown with the patch (no glow), collars and ribbon bar.

Each medal is correctly engraved and numbered.

Alexander_Pershing_Gallantry_Citation__B_W.JPG

While the original document is dated "1919", I suspect this is in error and actually was produced in December 1918.

Alexander_medals_001.jpg

The recipient was a Corporal who volunteered as an Observer/Gunner after the unit sustained heavy casualties. On 5 Nov 1918 during the last combat bombing mission of the war he and his pilot were flying in the "tail-end charlie" position when they were attacked by an overwhelming force of enemy aircraft. The recipient was wounded but managed to continue in action keeping the enemy aircraft at bay while destroying one which crashed in flames. He was recommended for a D.S.C. (his pilot received one) but his gallantry resulted in the silver citation star.

More docs and photos follow.

Bobgee

The following are copied from the Battery Press reprint edition of the 20th Aero Squadron history. The story of the recipient and the mission are well-documented.

Creat0016.JPG

Creat0017.JPG

Creat0018.JPG

Creat0019.JPG

Some original 20th Aero Squadron pics which accompanied the group"

Pilots & Observers

20th_Aero_at_Maulan_Pics_3.JPG

Aircraft

20th_Aero_at_Maulan_Pics_10.JPG

The recipient's pilot and "crew" Unfortunately he's not among them.

Creat0001.JPG

Enjoy.....Happy TG Day! Bobgee

IMPERIAL QUEST

Well Bob, as you know, I am not one to be at a loss for the gift of sappy and prolific ramblings when it comes to posting. However, you have managed to leave me completely speechless (well, almost). I will only say that this would be the find of a lifetime for me...wow... :salute:

Bob,

I missed this one! - What a wonderful group! Enlisted to boot. Very hard to find with VERY few valor awards given to non-officer flying personnel. The 20th was a great combat group.

Hope you are doing well.

Regards, Dennis

teufelhunde.ret

Whoa.... how did I miss this thread? Too much turkey? Superb medal group Bob, certainly not many enlisted Aero groups like this one, especially when you tip-in the original Pershing Certificate. Thx for sharing this with us Bob. s/f D

• 2 months later...
What are the chances that this RAY that I just bought online is the same ray from this grouping?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Nice image. It's possible that this fellow is Cpl.Raymond Alexander but this fellow is wearing an officer's flying coat and what appears to be leather puttees. Enlisted men would normally wear leg wraps. On the left side of the overseas cap there appears to be a Lt's bar which would rule out Alexander. Also, the date on the photo reverse is November 8th.......Alexander was wounded on the 5th so we have to wonder if he would up & about at the photo studio so soon. Thanks for sharing.

Bobgee

Nice image. It's possible that this fellow is Cpl.Raymond Alexander but this fellow is wearing an officer's flying coat and what appears to be leather puttees. Enlisted men would normally wear leg wraps. On the left side of the overseas cap there appears to be a Lt's bar which would rule out Alexander. Also, the date on the photo reverse is November 8th.......Alexander was wounded on the 5th so we have to wonder if he would up & about at the photo studio so soon. Thanks for sharing.

Bobgee

Thanks for the informative reply. Is it possible he was given an officers flying coat after his action on the 5th?

I scanned the image and am posting here for everyone to see. Maybe we can figure out who this mystery man is!

He actually resembles Leslie Koepfgen - is there any way to get a higher res scan of Koepfgen to compare to?

post-10756-1297123547.jpg

post-10756-1297123561.jpg

post-10756-1297123601.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've resurrected this thread as I have finally gotten the Award Cards from NARA St. Louis via Forum member & Researcher, Adam R. Thanks Adam!!!! :thumbsup: Previous attempts to obtain them proved unsuccesful.

Several interesting things are revealed. It appears to have taken over a year in 1918/19 to handle the recommendation for the DSC to Alexander. I had previously stated that the Pershing AEF Citation which is dated 8 December 1919 was likely a misprint. In fact that is the actual date of the Award, likely following a long consideration as there is reference made on the Silver Star citation card, "See 18th Ind. GHQ, AEF, Dec. 8, 1919" The certificate shown was sent to him on March 5, 1920.

We also see the notation, "QMSO directed to send silver star 3-15-22" This refers to the actual silver device for wear on the Victory Medal. Not the medal as the medal was not yet in existance. There is no small SS on the Victory. It also suggests that he received a formal Silver Star citation document. If so, its wherabouts are unknown. I would like to see the paper trail on his original DSC nomination from HQ, 20th Aero Sq. through the final decision at GHQ, AEF. Unfortunately I have no idea if that file exists or where it might be. Think it would be an interesting read!

He was awarded the Silver Star Medal on 11-28-32 and the Purple Heart on 3-21-33.

Copies of the Award Cards follow:

Alexander_Email0001.JPG

Alexander_Email0002.JPG

Thanks for looking..........Bobgee

Jack's Son

Bob,

It's always satisfying to get the official paperwork for these WWI awards. I hope you have more good news in the next posts! :thumbsup:

• 6 months later...
  • 8 years later...

My daughters father-in-law gave me this picture yesterday. He had it packed in with some of his dad's old 1920's Indianapolis race car pics and knew nothing about it. I read some entries on the forum as to Raymond Alexander and I'm wondering if this might be him ie: Observer Wing on coat, enlisted collar devices, not sure of the ribbon though. Had sent a PM to Baker502 as to his opinion but haven't heard anything yet; then came across this posting. post-70300-0-13999400-1579446475_thumb.jpg Close-up follows on next entry