ID needed on USN Pre WWII Flight Suit

Teamski

Hey guys,

A friend of mine wanted me to post this Pre WWII USN flight suit in hopes somebody would know something about it. A couple questions:

1. Is this a standard cold weather flight suit or something more specialized? He thought the guy might have been a dirigible flight crew.

2. What does "MR-24" on the back signify?

3. What is the Modification "2" on the tag?

4. What does CASF mean?

5. Was the guy a dirigible aircrewman?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

-Ski

post-3043-1290692089.jpg

vintageproductions

This is a really hard to find flight suit, that has also seen much better days. It was issue to Navy & Marine pilots in the 1930's. The toughest part to find is the flight jacket that goes with it. I think its name is something like a 34RJ or RJ34. Those numbers could be wrong but going by pure memory as I have only ever seen two real ones on the marketplace.

There is one of these on a Japanese page at http://cider104.blog14.fc2.com/blog-entry-400.html - converting Yen to Dollars, it looks like they were asking $1,880 for it. It also has a MR number on the back:

mr13.jpg

Bell's Aviation has one for sale for about $850 (in good condition): the call it 1930s USN S-89 Mod 1 Corduroy Flying Suit

The writing on the suit shown here indicates it was worn by Aerographer 1st Class M.O. Erwin. The was a guy by the name of Mason Oren Erwin who enlisted in the Navy in 1933, got a commission in 1943 and retired as a Commander in 1962. He served with Sino-American Cooperative Organization, whose reunion website says "SACO supplied the Fleet with regular weather reports from many occupied areas in the Far East" so an officer with an aerographer background would have been a natural. It'd be interesting to get Mason Oren Erwin's records and see if he was an enlisted Aerographer