M-1950 Weapons Case Airborne

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

post-1412-1188142209.jpg

post-1412-1188142250.jpg

The fact that this is military issued and I happened to pass it at an estate sale I just could not resist buying it, $15.00. The bag is dated 1981. Can anyone fill me in on the history of this case and do they still issue them? Thanks

The parachutist's adjustable individual weapons case, M1950 is described in TM 57-220 TECHNICAL TRAINING OF PARACHUTISTS, dated June 1968, FM 57-220/TO 14D1-2-2 BASIC PARACHUTING TECHNIQUES AND TRAINING dated December 1984 and FM 57-230/TO 14D1 -2-1-121 dated September 1989. The latter manual describes how to rig the ALICE pack and the M1950 case as a tandem load to lower on the same lowering line. The 1984 Manual also describes Container, Weapons and Individual Equipment (CWIE) which was much more complicated to assemble and had a semicircular cable device and a round red handle at the top. After the parachute has opened and when approximately 200 feet above the ground, the parachutist pulls the red handle and the container drops the length of the 18 foot lowering line. This device was known as a red apple. This container is also shown in the 1989 manual. I don't have any later manuals so I can't tell you how long they were used.

Retired

Manchu,

Yes, the M-1950 weapons case is still used today for the M-4/M-16 and there are rigger modified versions for the M249 SAW. It is worn on the left side of the jumpers body when jumping with combat equiptment. When you reach "tree top" height you lower your rucksack, then release the M1950 weapons case to slide down the lowering line and hang below you with your ruck. This way you sfuff lands before you and since you are moving with the breeze you should not land on top of your stuff. Landing without lowering your equiptment not a very enjoyable experience.

Vance