UDT/SEAL/LDNN insignia

Spike

Corpsmancollector

Spike,

Fantastic pieces. Were the Solid Anchor/Sea Float patches souvenirs or actually worn on fatigues? Would you also be able to elaborate on some of the insignia in post#2 (top case) I assume most are LDNN qualification awards?

Really great stuff.

Patchcollector

You have a bevy of beauties there Spike,I'm lusting for that K-9 patch,that's awesome! :twothumbup: I just acquired a grouping of Seal stuff,yeah I know the two

patches are plastic backed modern copies,but I really just wanted to get the UDT 22 patch.Do you know anything about the UDT 22 unit?Were they in Nam?

I have not been able to find out much about UDT 22 on the web.

post-13386-1290606223.jpg

post-13386-1290606230.jpg

As far as I know, UDT 22 didn't go to VN. A part of UDT 21 saw service in VN as they were used to help build up UDT 13 that was established in 1969 for VN commintment, that being said UDT 21 as a unit didn't not go to VN, just some of their personel.

"Would you also be able to elaborate on some of the insignia in post#2 (top case) I assume most are LDNN qualification awards?"

I have not been able to find out if these insignia were actually used let alone find out what the colored thread around the tank means.

Corpsmancollector
"Would you also be able to elaborate on some of the insignia in post#2 (top case) I assume most are LDNN qualification awards?"

I have not been able to find out if these insignia were actually used let alone find out what the colored thread around the tank means.

Thanks Spike. I was trying to remember what year the trident came in and when SEALs began to wear it on fatigues? (about '69?)

You have a bevy of beauties there Spike,I'm lusting for that K-9 patch,that's awesome! :twothumbup: I just acquired a grouping of Seal stuff,yeah I know the two

patches are plastic backed modern copies,but I really just wanted to get the UDT 22 patch.Do you know anything about the UDT 22 unit?Were they in Nam?

I have not been able to find out much about UDT 22 on the web.

No, UDT22 was never in Vietnam. Team 22 operated the underwater subs for the East Coast Teams and later became SDV-2 while UDT21 became SEAL Team 4.

Patchcollector
No, UDT22 was never in Vietnam. Team 22 operated the underwater subs for the East Coast Teams and later became SDV-2 while UDT21 became SEAL Team 4.

Thanks for the info! :)

• 2 weeks later...
No, UDT22 was never in Vietnam.

Wasn't UDT 22 training in the Carribbean (or maybe the Keys) for high speed boat insertions and retrival during late 60s? Weren't they training to be deployed to VN?

Wasn't UDT 22 training in the Carribbean (or maybe the Keys) for high speed boat insertions and retrival during late 60s? Weren't they training to be deployed to VN?

All the East Coast teams Trained out of Roosevelt Roads PR, and did high speed boat ops and retrivals. Thats what UDTs did, not a special 'thing' for Vietnam. There was the Counter-Insurgency School at Little Creek that did most of the Training for Vietnam. UDT 21 or 22 never deployed to Vietnam as Teams, but personel from the UDTs deployed with ST-2 and West coast UDTs

All the East Coast teams Trained out of Roosevelt Roads PR,....

Yep, PR. Stirring the memories of books I read long ago...thanks

Patchcollector
All the East Coast teams Trained out of Roosevelt Roads PR, and did high speed boat ops and retrivals. Thats what UDTs did, not a special 'thing' for Vietnam. There was the Counter-Insurgency School at Little Creek that did most of the Training for Vietnam. UDT 21 or 22 never deployed to Vietnam as Teams, but personel from the UDTs deployed with ST-2 and West coast UDTs

The reason I asked was because I have a UDT 22 patch that appears to be made in the P.I,or maybe Thailand.That's why I bought the UDT 22 tape to pair up with it.I'll try and dig it out and post a pic so that

you can look at it.I'm sure it is just a foreign made patch for a unit that never actually made it over there,just as you say.

The reason I asked was because I have a UDT 22 patch that appears to be made in the P.I,or maybe Thailand.That's why I bought the UDT 22 tape to pair up with it.I'll try and dig it out and post a pic so that

you can look at it.I'm sure it is just a foreign made patch for a unit that never actually made it over there,just as you say.

Got to remember that the east coast Teams are just that, their AO is the Atlantic / Europe /the Med / Caribbean ect. That is Why they did not deploy to the West Coast AO. ST 2 ,while an east coast Team did deploy Platoons to Vietnam. They rotated with other Platoons in the Atlantic AO. While UDT21/22 did not deploy to Vietnam, having theater(Japanese,PI,Korea ect..) made insignia is not uncommon. Again, ST2 did alot of Training with Koreans and Taiwan Combat Swimmers(west coast AO). I have seen the PI made version of UDT22, which was unoffically worn. I remember that Tom Clinton had the patches in his catolog so I do not know if Tom supplied the patches or if He just came across the mfg. The only UDT 22 'unit' patch I have seen with the Team is the PI made version above and a US made computer made patch which was sold along with the new SDV-2 patch (same design) and available at MAA at the time they switched from UDT to SDV. This US made patch has been faked since the mid 80s.

Patchcollector
Got to remember that the east coast Teams are just that, their AO is the Atlantic / Europe /the Med / Caribbean ect. That is Why they did not deploy to the West Coast AO. ST 2 ,while an east coast Team did deploy Platoons to Vietnam. They rotated with other Platoons in the Atlantic AO. While UDT21/22 did not deploy to Vietnam, having theater(Japanese,PI,Korea ect..) made insignia is not uncommon. Again, ST2 did alot of Training with Koreans and Taiwan Combat Swimmers(west coast AO). I have seen the PI made version of UDT22, which was unoffically worn. I remember that Tom Clinton had the patches in his catolog so I do not know if Tom supplied the patches or if He just came across the mfg. The only UDT 22 'unit' patch I have seen with the Team is the PI made version above and a US made computer made patch which was sold along with the new SDV-2 patch (same design) and available at MAA at the time they switched from UDT to SDV. This US made patch has been faked since the mid 80s.

Here is my UDT-22 patch,the 22 looks like ZZ,but I think it was just the way it was sewn.

post-13386-1291603273.jpg

post-13386-1291603283.jpg