WWII Ploesti Veteran and POW , Harry Korger

KASTAUFFER

Thanks for all the comments! I definately spent more time creating this thread than any other I have done.

I forwarded the thread on to his Grand Daughter to see.

Kurt

Forgot about this one!

Here is a photo of the crew he normally flew with ( plus a few others) autographed on the reverse.

KORGER_12.jpg

Outstanding historical grouping full of emotion. This complete and very interesting thread shows that Mr. Korger's family made the good choice to entrust you the group. Mr. Korger was definitively a great man.

Thank you for sharing.

... Part of my promise to her was to do a thread about her Grandfather. I hope this thread will do justice in commemorating his military service and his memory.

To contribute a little to the effort I started a Remembrance for Col. Korger, based upon and credited to your research, at this link:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/usaf/...n&ID=129694

It lacks the Month/Date of his passing. Our format will not allow the posting of just the year.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

To contribute a little to the effort I started a Remembrance for Col. Korger, based upon and credited to your research, at this link:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/usaf/...n&ID=129694

It lacks the Month/Date of his passing. Our format will not allow the posting of just the year.

Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Thanks for doing the tribute, but I cant see it since I dont have access to the site.

You could screenprint it and attach it as a pic.

Kurt

Thanks for doing the tribute, but I cant see it since I dont have access to the site.

You could screenprint it and attach it as a pic.

Kurt

Oops... that is a glitch I was not aware of, being worked on there. Am investigating and will get back with usable link.

Thank you for taking the time to post this! Quite an amazing story and one heartfelt as I too am a musician. Just an incredible wealth of material, rarely are one's military experiences so well preserved. And no doubt you'll continue to.

Here you are Kurt. Sorry for the delay. Admin had just made some changes nobody knew about yet.

The link:

http://airforce.togetherweserved.com/profile/129694

Any suggestions will be incorporated as you wish. I did get his date of passing, 19 Oct 95.

The link works now ! Looks good !

Kurt,

That has to be one of THE most complete archives on a POW I have ever seen. You did a fantastic job of presenting it, and did the man proud.

Superb grouping, certainly museum-worthy!!!

Melanie

Kurt,

That has to be one of THE most complete archives on a POW I have ever seen. You did a fantastic job of presenting it, and did the man proud.

Superb grouping, certainly museum-worthy!!!

Melanie

Hi Melanie

I know you have some AWESOME POW groups as well. I would love to see some of them posted if you get a chance!

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, very nice Kurt! We are going to have to hook up once my book is almost ready. I still need to plan my trip to cover the PM's documents. I gave them a call and spook with them about it now I just need to get it together. Maybe 2011 will be my year?

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Kurt,

Thanks for taking time to do such a wonderful job sharing some of Col. Korger's papers and pictures with others. I adopted a few of his badges when they were listed for adoption and then took some time to learn more about his amazing experience with the 98th, specifically the Ploesti raid.

Anything you might find in the personal correspondence between he and Col. Kane that might shed some light on Col. Kane's post-WWII treatment by the Air Force, or more specifically a few Air Force individuals, could be historically significant. I was unable to discover from online information who Col. Kane had had troubles with. There might be a hint in the closing of the letter from Col. Kane to Col. Korger, that you posted where Kane cautions Korger to take care of stepping in any holes. I read that as more than a routine warning.

Here are the badges I have.

Paul S

post-3515-1293373342.jpg

Kurt,

Thanks for taking time to do such a wonderful job sharing some of Col. Korger's papers and pictures with others. I adopted a few of his badges when they were listed for adoption and then took some time to learn more about his amazing experience with the 98th, specifically the Ploesti raid.

Anything you might find in the personal correspondence between he and Col. Kane that might shed some light on Col. Kane's post-WWII treatment by the Air Force, or more specifically a few Air Force individuals, could be historically significant. I was unable to discover from online information who Col. Kane had had troubles with. There might be a hint in the closing of the letter from Col. Kane to Col. Korger, that you posted where Kane cautions Korger to take care of stepping in any holes. I read that as more than a routine warning.

Here are the badges I have.

Paul S

Hi Paul

Thanks for posting these. I knew she had sold these, but I did not know who got them. I actually went back to the other people who bought stuff and rounded it all up and bought it from them. I couldnt figure out who got the wings.

The Bombardier wings I do have are lead POW wings. I dont have any of his other WWII wings. If you ever want to sell the bobardier wings, let me know.

There was ony one letter from Col. Kane in the group, which is the one I posted. He didnt seem to happy with the authors of the book that was published in the early 60's.

Thanks

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All:

I am working on a Ploesti campaigns book since many related to HALPRO, 9th AF , 15th AF and 205GP RAF

the book is about to be ready. I would appreciate if you could post or email me any photos from Libya

you may have on Harry Korger especially a complete crew photos with Killer Kane and any other you may

have available. many thanks !

Best Regards

Alex K

post-22525-1295126202.jpg

The previous photo was shot at Tel Aviv on Aug 3, 43 along with Norm Whalen after return

from Cyprus with Kane Sternfels ( pilot ) . Attached photo of Rve.Whalen in the 60's

Alex K

Rumania Campaigns Historian

post-22525-1295192664.jpg

THE TRANSLATION FROM RUSSIAN :

In the memory of the meeting with the friend of Soviet people.

With respects. 7 May 1945.

PS :I wanst aware that Harry was a friend of the Soviet people then neither later despite being liberated by the Russkies

THE TRANSLATION FROM RUSSIAN :

In the memory of the meeting with the friend of Soviet people.

With respects. 7 May 1945.

PS :I wanst aware that Harry was a friend of the Soviet people then neither later despite being liberated by the Russkies

Thanks for the translation Alex. I am assuming the Russian was one of the soldiers that liberated Stalag Luft 1 and gave him the photo.

I will post some more pics as well. I dont have any more of Kane except one more that I am posting now.

Kurt