WWII Ploesti Veteran and POW , Harry Korger

KASTAUFFER

The original Telegrams about his capture and the official government correspondance from the time he was a POW

k42.jpg

k43.jpg

k44.jpg

k45.jpg

This letter was sent by MIS commending him for his service as a code writer during the war. Note the vague language used .

k46.jpg

THE WAR IS OVER

On May 1st the Soviet Army liberated Stalag Luft 1. Harry commemorated the day in his diary.

k74.jpg

He also liberated this photo of " Uncle Hermann" from the camp commandants office

k57.jpg

k58.jpg

One of Harry's liberators. If someone can translate the Russian writing on the back of the photo, I would appreciate it!

k34.jpg

k35.jpg

After the War , Harry was discharged however he took an opportunity to join the regular Air Force .

Here is his separation qualification document and his commission as a 1st Lt.

k40.jpg

After the War Harry continued to serve in the USAF until his retirement in 1971. Here are the citations for two of the decorations he received during this time period.

k67.jpg

k68.jpg

After the war, Harry kept in contact with John Kane and Norm Whalen . Here are letters from them 20 years after the war. They both still had strong feelings about their experiences over Ploesti on that day in 1943.

k61.jpg

k62.jpg

I always feel it is best to save the best for last. It takes us back all the way to the beginning to that day on August 1, 1943 .

This letter was written by Harry 3 days after the Ploesti mission while his memory was still vivid and expresses his thoughts about John Kane and the mission.

k18.jpg

k19.jpg

Well, thats all for now. There is a lot more I could post and will when I get some more time.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Harold F. Korger and the rest of the men who participated in Operation Tidal Wave.

Well, thats all for now. There is a lot more I could post and will when I get some more time.

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Harold F. Korger and the rest of the men who participated in Operation Tidal Wave.

Kurt,

All I can say is, WOW!!! That is an exceptionally nice and complete grouping!!!

I'm sure Harry's family is proud of the beautiful tribute.

Melanie

Kurt

I think the family did the right thing selling the grouping to a collector/historian, such as yourself, who will appreciate it and make good use of it, rather than a museum where it would have just sat in a storage closet for all eternity (or until being stolen). Your excellent posting here gives it far more exposure than a museum ever would have provided.

Kurt

Brian Dentino

I can only echo what others have all ready said on this one Kurt, but it is another outstanding grouping you have shared with us! Amazing in its completness. Wow! :thumbsup: