Desert Night Camouflage

Littleguy

What do you mean not cool .............

you are crazy kid .

I just found the Night parka liner the other day ,,,,,not that IS cool.

owen

There is no denying I am crazy, I assure you. However, it is not has sexy(My term for good camo patterns, planes, and girls) has other camouflage pattern of the time and was usesless. I remembver reading that the white snow camo BDU's were much more effective than the DNC's. The pattern itself has grown on me and it might just end up making the cut for my winter clothes, since I don't mind at all standing out for good things. Not to talk fashion, but it is much better than wearing something meaningless or stupid. I personally want a DBDU set and a DCU set and even maybe a USAF/USN fighter helmet.

I still have the trousers, but not sure KFC happened to my parka. The over trousers were used as "pajamas" when we had the rare opportunity to actually sleep on a cot, in a tent, and in our bags. They still serve as the "work" pants around the house/yard at times.

I saw the entire ensemble being worn much more frequently during Bright Star 1982. As has been mentioned, I used to see worn sort of as pajamas; the troopers wear them to the latrine/shower tents at night.

I saw the entire ensemble being worn much more frequently during Bright Star 1982. As has been mentioned, I used to see worn sort of as pajamas; the troopers wear them to the latrine/shower tents at night.

There was a point where a couple of the guys were down to wearing these for "real" as their uniform when we finally had some QM laundry set up in early Dec '90, and naturally all their crap never came back! I recall one guy going three or 4 days until the logistics were in place before some replacements were finally found for him. Needless to say, most of us just continued to hand wash our own rather than chancing the laundry :lol:

The only problem with them being worn as a stand alone uniform is that they don't have standard pockets, just slashes to allow you to reach through to get into the underlying DBDU pockets.

Mr. X .... Nice looking night camo boonie.... have not seen that before.

PANZERWERK (or anybody else).......... In post #12, what is the dot camo parka you show along with the night camo do-rag ?

Also that pullover NC anorak is choice.

LITTLEGUY, welcome aboard.

Thanks,

JC

I still have my NDC set from the Cease Fire after Desert Storm, circa 1992. I don't ever recall boonie hats, NDC caps mimicking the BDU cap or any other headgear being issued in NDC during that time frame. By the next time I went to the desert in 2001, the choco chips and the NDC were long gone... as in not even issued anymore. Here's my set...

Wayne

post-3743-1290820854.jpg

post-3743-1290820927.jpg

Misanthropic_Gods
PANZERWERK (or anybody else).......... In post #12, what is the dot camo parka you show along with the night camo do-rag ?

Also that pullover NC anorak is choice.

That is Austrian dot camo...I wont get into it more here because it isnt US, but PM me if you want more info

Commercial reverisble DCU/three color jackets:

revers12.jpg

Image above scanned from book TRIUMPH IN THE DESERT published 1991 by Random Century Group Ltd.

Note: They are wearing plain khaki with reverisble night camo.

It was also used in early OEF/OIF.

28bg1g0.jpg

dscf4018.jpg

dscf4019.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My son wore this one last winter when went up to San Diego County's Palomar Mountain to sled ride in 18 inches of snow: the parka kept him and warm dry.

nightcamo1.jpg

These night camo parkas are direct descendants of the M51 fishtail parkas, which later evolved into the OG M56 parka. The fishtail name comes from that distinctive bottom on the back:

nightcamo4.jpg

I found a parka and liner combo in a pile of misc jackets at a flea market recently and was able to spot them due to this thread. This is a really interesting pattern and just goes to show how great this forum is for learning about new things. I was real stoked to finally pick up a top since the surplus stores around here don't have this pattern. :D

• 1 year later...
frederik.geudens
Very true. My surplus store has four or five night camo parka for sale. They all appeared to be in excellent conditions however they have different shades (some lighter, some darker).

This post is pretty old but today I happened to come across this page which explains the different shades of Night Desert pattern. http://www.desertstorm1991.com/files/UNC/PATTERNS.htm

If I'm not mistaking, the author (Flashesandovals) is also a member of the forum.

I remember US Cavalry suppliers offering a commercial rip-stop BDU in the night desert pattern around the same time (maybe immediately after the Gulf war? Circa 1992) I just remember staring at them as a kid when I'd get the US Cav catalog in the mail.....wonder how many they sold? I'm guessing they lost money and the few sets that did sell are odd to find.

craig_pickrall

I bought a set of them. Still have them in new condition. I expect they did okay selling those. There are a lot of people that will buy any new thing like that.

• 2 weeks later...
Here are a couple of pics of my boonie.

P1010022.jpg

P1010021.jpg

When Mr-X and i worked together in retail land the shop had BDU shirts and pants in Night Desert and if memory serves poncho liner

I have a couple pair of the pants(some place)also a Parka from one of the local vets.There was a small surplus store I use to visit in Minnesota and the guy had piles of the pants.

post-1424-1346903034.jpg

post-1424-1346903051.jpg

Here's another style of the boonie hats that are out there. Just judging by the tag, I think these were all civilian market. For as many of the parkas and pants that turn up in unissued condition, I've yet to see any of the boonies with DOD tags in them.

The only government sanctioned items in NDC were the parka and trousers, all caps are commercial. Plus, I never could understand the purpose behind a SUN hat in NIGHT camo. :blink:

Here's my Desert Storm parka with a commercial USMC cover.

post-32676-1347065857.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just got one of these. It is so comfortable! I am looking to find a liner for it so I can wear it as "Combat Pajamas" when I head off to weekend events for CAP.

• 3 years later...

I have 3 very large crates of this camo.

The NSN for the medium parka is 8415-01-102-6280

The NSN for the Med-Reg Trousers is 8415-01-102-6292

I took a pair home and tried it with my ATN NV Site and it works quite well.

I havent had a chance to sort them by size but I am sure I have most every size.

I have 3 very large crates of this camo.

The NSN for the medium parka is 8415-01-102-6280

The NSN for the Med-Reg Trousers is 8415-01-102-6292

I took a pair home and tried it with my ATN NV Site and it works quite well.

I havent had a chance to sort them by size but I am sure I have most every size.

Will you be intending to sell these here in the for SALE Forum?