17th Airborne PH

Pete-o MSU

I bought this unresearched heart at a military show for pretty cheap. After about 15 minutes of research found out it was a 17th Airborne Operation Varsity KIA. Sometimes you get lucky.

Pete

post-236-1290548844.jpg

Brian Dentino

"Sometimes you get lucky." has got to be one of the understatements of the year! :w00t:

Very nice pick up, Pete......and congrats on your luck. :thumbsup:

Pete,

I see on p. 147 "Thunder From Heaven" Nesbit is listed as being in the 466th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion as you indicate. He is listed as Nesbit, Jackie Jr. PH KIA

In Brandon Weigand's book "Index of General Orders: 17th Airborne Division" his Purple Heart is listed as:

"Nesbit, Jackie Jr., T-4, 466th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion, 17th Airborne Division PH KIA (17 ABDivAGOBD)"

Weigand's annotations refer to the 17th Airborne Division Adjutant General's 1947 Battle Death Report for the 17th. (1)

Note (1): Brandon T. Weigand, Index to the General Orders: 17th Airborne Division,

Brackenridge: D Day Militaria, 2004, n.p,

It was just the heart the seller knew nothing about it, I added the WWII patch to spruce up the group haha

Thanks for the answer.

Great medal, I love it!

Excellent find you have got there and well done :thumbsup: For sure Nice Score

Its attached with a lot of very important History to that P.H. I like it.

• 5 months later...

Found a photo of Jackie Nesbit jr On a Reber High School Memorial page Vineland NJ

Also He enlisted in Nj National Guard sept 16 1940 Field Artillery

Killed 1st day of Operation Varsity March 24 1945 with 466th PFAB 17th Airborne

I believe the DIs are NJ national guard ones???

Did 466th Go in gliders or were the Paratroops??? A dumb ??? i suppose !

post-620-1304026781.jpg

scottplen

Found out he was battery B 466th PFAB Most likely Killed fighting to take DZ from German Artillery and 20MM Flak guns

513th AB was missed dropped in british DZ and 466TH had to fight as infantry ,set up Guns and KICK A$$ !!!

Its an Honor to own this Medal know!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Does someone still have this medal? Nesbitt is my mother in law's father. I would very much like to talk to whom ever owns this Purple Heart and see if there is anyway I can return the medal to her. I can provide documentation to prove my mother in law is his daughter. Please contact me if you have this medal. My mother in law was born 3 months before her father was KIA in Operation Versity and he never got to meet her.

Very nice medal! Thank you for posting!

Mike

Do you have this medal? I'm trying to track it down to return to Nesbit's daughter, my mother in law.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This medal has been returned to the family as of today. We are planning something very special for the official return to Nesbit's daughter (my mother in law). Thanks to all those that helped return this medal to my family.