Possible WWI-1920's Airplane squadron skin art

fordmustanggt_350

fordmustanggt_350

Hey guys,

This belongs to a friend of mine and I was trying to figure out more about it. When he got it he was told that it was art off a WWI or 1920's airplane skin. With all the experts out ther does anyone have any idea what it belongs to or maybe have a photo of a plane if this was on one? It was very cruedly cut out, but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-2569-1290305417.jpg

Johnny Signor

Hey ,thanks for posting this photo , I have a small black and white zerox from a magazine of a leather patch that was removed from a jacket of this same unit emblem!

I am also VERY curious as to what unit/era this emblem is, but at least now I have the colors for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would venture to say this is most likely 1920-1930's and "possibly" pre WW-2 , and it appears to be genuine aircarft fabric skin , cool find !!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Come on emblem pro's someone out there should be able to ID this one.....................................

Cobrahistorian

It has design elements used in the 1st Fighter Group unit crest (stripes, Maltese Crosses, downward pointing arrow), so possibly an early 1st Pursuit Group crest? The motto is different, but that might be the right direction to start looking. I'd check out the 27th PS. It wouldn't be the 94th PS, since their insignia remains the "Hat in the ring" to this day.

Jon

post-5470-1290440021.png

Johnny Signor

Hey Cobra , I was thinking along the same line of the 1st PS , but so far haven't found anything close to it, the motto like you say would most likely be fron that unit's era.

I'm thinking like one of the late30's biplanes seeing as this is Canvas and not metal , oh well hopefully someone may recognise it and come up with an answer !

Johnny

fordmustanggt_350

Thanks guys for the help, I have been trying to do more research off of your information and have not come up with anything close enough. Like you said hopefully someone will recognize it.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Johnny Signor

Hey Cobra, good job on contacting them, sure hope they can ID it, I ve had a black and white photo of an actual leather patch of this same design fro sometime and would really like to know what unit it is too !!!!!!

Johnny Signor