battle-torn M-42 on e-bay from fantasio10a2

1canpara

carbinephalen

Wow, what an item! :o I'm excited to see what the experts have to say on this one. If it were real it'd be one of the coolest looking jump jackets I have ever seen. The seller has definitely done his homework on the purported former owner. With 7 days left it's already at over $1500.00 USD!

My obvious objection to this jacket being real is that anything that can cause a wear through on the elbow of the reinforcing material would also have caused damage to the underlying fabric... it hasnt. Judging from the shredding on this, that one thing is a glaring inconsistancy to me. Even if I hadn't had questions of this seller's authenticity before seeing this one. Two thumbs down on this one. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Wayne

EDIT: Upon further looking at this thing, it appears that areas around some of the damaged areas have been exposed to bleach... note the lighter yellowed coloring around some of the damaged areas. Also, I wonder if maybe an acid was used to cause the damage to the apparently shredded areas. If this is "BATTLE DAMAGE" as claimed, where the heck is the blood, because PVT Vanderslice would have been a human seive. Any jacket this severely damaged would have been turned in and replaced. After turn it would have been burned or buried. If it had been buried, the only thing they would have found me maybe bits of the snaps and zipper. Again, two thumbs down... the more I look, the more I find I don't like about this one.

Sixty plus years ago this thing would have been out at the curb in a trash can, five minutes after it was brought

thru the door.

Ain't no way it's come this far.

BILL THE PATCH

I AGREE WITH 17THAIRBORNE, LETS SEE THE UNDERSIDE OF THE ARMBAND, THE JACKET SHOULD LOOK NEW UNDER THERE, NO FADEING SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY :think:

I don't like it :thumbdown: . The seller has sold many fakes in the past.It has been proved that he uses this account (fantasio10a2) as well as others (Pierlien2) to peddle of his fakes. IMO I wouldn't trust what he says on this item ( if it is real, he cried wolf too many times). As for what's wrong with it, There is no soiling, there should be sweat stains at the pits and collar, the holes are soooooo sporadic and aren't in places of frequent wear and tear. There should be more wear on the elbows and the collar, not the belt area and ends of the sleeves. Once again, just my honest opinion, I wouldn't buy anything from this man because he ruined one of my helmets with fake markings and tried to sell it off as an original piece http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...4806&hl=4th.

-Grant G.

I AGREE WITH 17THAIRBORNE, LETS SEE THE UNDERSIDE OF THE ARMBAND, THE JACKET SHOULD LOOK NEW UNDER THERE, NO FADEING SOMETHING SMELLS FISHY :think:

Smells like the easy green of jump jackets

RD

opps ....and I quote,,"The jacket is a size 36, it's very used and damaged, the armband of the red cross and the 101st patch are original ! It's a reinforced jacket, you can look some pics."

So the armband is real and so is the patch,,what about the jacket..???

opps ....and I quote,,"The jacket is a size 36, it's very used and damaged, the armband of the red cross and the 101st patch are original ! It's a reinforced jacket, you can look some pics."

So the armband is real and so is the patch,,what about the jacket..???

Taken in context of the entire description, he is putting this up as an original jacket. This is the entire description:

Extremely rare M42 reinforced paratrooper jacket !

This jacket is identified at :

Name : PVT George VANDERSLICE

Army serial number : 33596963

soldier of the 101st - 506th PIR B - Medical Detachment

The jacket is a size 36, it's very used and damaged, the armband of the red cross and the 101st patch are original ! It's a reinforced jacket, you can look some pics.

the jacket was find in 1993 in France, in Normandy by an old collector, I have buying this jacket in october 2010. The jacket was find in an old farm with some paratrooper items.

The soldier Vanderslice was dead the 23 july 2003, and I have contacted his family for have the autorisation for sell the jacket.

I have some internet files of the paratrooper VANDERSLICE, the NARA identification, the Medical Detachment Roster of the 506th PIR, the last roll call, and the Military Unit Associations with the contact of family.

The jacket is damaged but good, inside 2 marking : V6963 and George Vanderslice , used (look pics)

End Description

There is no doubt that this is being sold as a real original M1942 jump jacket. I feel sorry for the one who buys this abortion... even if the patch and armband are real, thats an aweful lot to pay for them. That jacket is worthless.

Wayne

All excellent observations and comments! :thumbsup: The points mentioned by all of you are bang on and exactly what I thought before I posted it....no blood stains, odd and uneven shredding of the fabric, and the mere fact that something this badly damaged likely would have been disposed of many years ago!

Well done men! It's sad that the seller is going to make a ton of dough from some poor schmuck for an old pile of rags, but then just a little bit of research and common sense would save a lot of pain and money!

Rick

I've said it before and I'll say it again, A fool and his money are soon parted.... Do we feel sorry for the fool because he doesn't take the time to know exactly what he is buying? How about the collector who should by all means know better than to buy the story? How hard would it be to get a name, contact NARA and get the info he used in the auction then use a pencil or some other means to mark the item himself? Call me cynical, but I can't feel sorry for them if common sense doesn't help them. I do however have major issues with people deliberately attempting to defraud others...

Wayne

I've said it before and I'll say it again, A fool and his money are soon parted.... Do we feel sorry for the fool because he doesn't take the time to know exactly what he is buying? How about the collector who should by all means know better than to buy the story? How hard would it be to get a name, contact NARA and get the info he used in the auction then use a pencil or some other means to mark the item himself? Call me cynical, but I can't feel sorry for them if common sense doesn't help them. I do however have major issues with people deliberately attempting to defraud others...

Wayne

Don't get me wrong Wayne, I'm with you on this, and that's one of my favorite sayings (a fool and his money are soon parted...and I have been one of those fools on occasion :pinch: )...anyone parting with this much dough without doing some homework deserves what he gets....I mean the internet has provided more access to research than any other resource in the history of man and still these suckers spend thousands on an item with trumped up provenance without doing the minimal amount of checking....oh well, at least I have you guys to vent to about these things :thumbsup:

Rick

Don't get me wrong Wayne, I'm with you on this, and that's one of my favorite sayings (a fool and his money are soon parted...and I have been one of those fools on occasion :pinch: )...anyone parting with this much dough without doing some homework deserves what he gets....I mean the internet has provided more access to research than any other resource in the history of man and still these suckers spend thousands on an item with trumped up provenance without doing the minimal amount of checking....oh well, at least I have you guys to vent to about these things :thumbsup:

Rick

No insult intended, and I too speak from experience... from when I first got started, picking up items foisted as original and when you get it its obviously fake. I tend to look at items a bit differently now after being a member here for about two years ... I've learned a lot. I'm no expert, but I know enough to question some items... and usually if my radar goes off, its usually right. I just hate that people take advantage of others so unscrupulously... I was an MP for 14 years before I retired (I was infantry for the other half)... so Fraud is something I'm really disagreeable with. I have no problem forking over money for a repop if I think it's worth it to me... I just like to know up front. I don't like being misled, and if we are warning Ebay and they do nothing, that makes them complicit in the fraud perpetrated by these people... ya know?

Wayne

No insult intended, and I too speak from experience... from when I first got started, picking up items foisted as original and when you get it its obviously fake. I tend to look at items a bit differently now after being a member here for about two years ... I've learned a lot. I'm no expert, but I know enough to question some items... and usually if my radar goes off, its usually right. I just hate that people take advantage of others so unscrupulously... I was an MP for 14 years before I retired (I was infantry for the other half)... so Fraud is something I'm really disagreeable with. I have no problem forking over money for a repop if I think it's worth it to me... I just like to know up front. I don't like being misled, and if we are warning Ebay and they do nothing, that makes them complicit in the fraud perpetrated by these people... ya know?

Wayne

no offence taken Wayne, and I totally agree, if complaints and reports are made and enough evidence is provided and they do nothing then they are part of the problem (and in actuality a party to the offence, of course that'd never hold up in court)....and fraud is one of my big beefs too as that is what I do for a living, investigate frauds and false pretences and let me tell you, there is an absolute worldwide fraud epidemic with no real cure in sight! Once they breach international boundaries they are pretty safe to continue to perpetuate the frauds, unless it involves millions, then there's a slim chance that INTERPOL will get involved, but even then it's tough going to get these guys to court.

I was an MP also in my early days but switched over to the civvie side of LE a long time ago.

cheers,

Rick

I would think this Is from the same stable as the last re-enforced set that was posted here.

The plating on the snaps is a very strange substance and doesn't look like any original I've ever owned, ditto the zips. They have shown a lot of pictures but have been careful NOT to show any of the Important areas In close up. One thing that Is really glaring Is the label! I've owned In excess of a dozen examples of these jackets, Includng re-enforced ones, and I would not expect to see such a complete, undamaged label on an Item showing this level of distress. These labels fade and break up very quickly and for that label to be In that condition on that jacket Is no less than amazing!

If real that is :lol: .

Regards, Guy.

Looked at all the pics in the auction & I see the bleach stains clear as day. Probably used acid on the rest & somehow it got out of control (sneezed while pouring, etc.).

I also looked up his history & saw he has mostly bought collectible airborne stuff, including 4 transactions(purchases) with Easy-green & 1 purchase from perlien2. Red flag right there. :thumbdown:

Aminals I use to describe this sort of behavior:

fishy, skunky, snaky, rat!

OMG! Dumb and dumber! I can't believe that someone is taking the bait, hook, line and sinker! The farms/barns of France must be full of waiting-to-be-discovered rare items of militaria. It's the same old chestnut we hear time and time again...and people still fall for it?! More money than sense! CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Sabrejet :pinch:

OMG! Dumb and dumber! I can't believe that someone is taking the bait, hook, line and sinker! The farms/barns of France must be full of waiting-to-be-discovered rare items of militaria. It's the same old chestnut we hear time and time again...and people still fall for it?! More money than sense! CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Sabrejet :pinch:

Anotherquote come to mind... something like.. "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.."

I remeber back when i was a kid, adding water to an old car battery (back then thats how they were)....splashing some battery acid on my shirt, didnt even really notice it until a little while later and my favorite Black Sabbath concert shirt was shredded just like that M42!!!!!..... :blink: ...mike

It really looks like damage from chemicals. Probably an experiment with aging that went horribly awry. I'm wondering why the seller needs "aotorisation" [sic] from the family if it was the classic "barn find". It's not theirs and never was. I wonder why there is no pic of the rear of the arm band. If legitimate it should be serial numbered. This seller has sold two previous jump jackets. Those barns in France must be loaded with paratrooper stuff! This thing is probably a fake and if real is so ratty looking I can't understand why anyone would want to pay nearly $900 dollars for it. And it still has six days to go! Insane!! :blink: