1903 RUSSELL BELT/MILLS SHOULDER HARNESS HYBRID?

INIMICUS

mates - I wanted to share this interesting find in light of the great, related threads from last year and this on 1903 belts and shoulder strap assemblies (for which, many thanks to all contribs!)

this rig is unissued with no marks save for what I take to be unit ink stamps. it has burnished eagle snaps with 1895/1896 pat. marks inside them. pocket bottoms taper from top to quite narrow, per other posters' comments. it belonged to an a.e.f. sergeant, whose dogtags I also acquired. (the son is trying to unearth his dad's papers.)

anyhow, belt and straps appear to have been together 'forever;' so I wonder how often the output of (not so friendly) competitors mills and russell got hitched up like this. they seem quite compatible....

also, as I'm more into german, anyone reckon a fair value range for this combo? seems $350-450's about right, maybe a bit more 'coz condition is near mint. thanks for looking and commenting!

post-496-1290183458.jpg

well it appears BOTH the best and the sh. straps are russell with no mills parts.

ya know I figured what with so very few of these things around someone would've have chimed in at least to say 'hey nice score.' OR 'it's an obvious fake!' but nothing. bit disappointed frankly by the lack of response. happy thanksgiving all.

Its kinda tough to price things.Pictures never quite do it for me. I like things in hand. But 300-400 seems about right. Being in mint condition adds to it. Robert

Sorry about missing you post or responding to your PM. I was suppose to be on the way to Alabama to visit my son whos in USAF School for thanksgiving. But due to his brother-in-laws sudden death he's flying back to Idaho for the funeral.

Guess it matters what the current interest is. I've had the same belt, minus the suspenders, for sale for a couple weeks with no one showing interest. I like the belt (yours and mine), it's just not what I collect and I picked it up by mistake.

thanks a lot guys. very sorry about the death lt. frank allbest, david

Guess it matters what the current interest is. I've had the same belt, minus the suspenders, for sale for a couple weeks with no one showing interest. I like the belt (yours and mine), it's just not what I collect and I picked it up by mistake.

The early Mills 1903 straps didn't have the logo and patent stamps until 1905.

The Russell suspenders were different as the front strap on each side was one piece that split into the two straps that attached to the belt. The narrow straps were not seperate sraps like the Mills. Ray

thanks rayg; that's interesting.

The early Mills 1903 straps didn't have the logo and patent stamps until 1905.

The Russell suspenders were different as the front strap on each side was one piece that split into the two straps that attached to the belt. The narrow straps were not seperate sraps like the Mills. Ray