18th Tactical Fighter Wing Patch

Capt.Confederacy

Capt.Confederacy

I got this patch recently and was wondering where it was made at. I don't know if it comes across well on the picture, but the green background material doesn't look like any background material I've seen on U.S.-made patches and the "Dryer Sheet" backing frankly reminds me of Iraqi-made patches. (However, I don't think this likely since I don't believe the unit was ever in the Middle East.)

Given that the unit is based in Okinawa, could this be a Japanese-made item? (Forgive the ignorance, but, unfortunately, I've little experience with Japanese-made patches.)

Thanks.

18th_TAC_Wing__Front_.pdf

I was in this unit in okinawa,,from 1986-89,,I wore this exact patch,,,I do believe they were sourced locally

I still have some never been worn patches but they are in the states,,do you collec tthis type of patch?

I have all the squadrons patchews for this wing as well,,,and the fancy "William Tell" contest patches,,

let me know if your into these,,as I really dont know what else to do with my old patch collection

Capt.Confederacy

Thank you for the info. I generally collect army patches, but I couldn't pass up that squadron patch given how unusual the construction was.

Thanks again.

I would be interested in one of these as well as what you have to get rid of in your collection

Thanks

Rick

I was in this unit in okinawa,,from 1986-89,,I wore this exact patch,,,I do believe they were sourced locally

I still have some never been worn patches but they are in the states,,do you collec tthis type of patch?

I have all the squadrons patchews for this wing as well,,,and the fancy "William Tell" contest patches,,

let me know if your into these,,as I really dont know what else to do with my old patch collection

• 5 months later...
I got this patch recently and was wondering where it was made at. I don't know if it comes across well on the picture, but the green background material doesn't look like any background material I've seen on U.S.-made patches and the "Dryer Sheet" backing frankly reminds me of Iraqi-made patches. (However, I don't think this likely since I don't believe the unit was ever in the Middle East.)

Given that the unit is based in Okinawa, could this be a Japanese-made item? (Forgive the ignorance, but, unfortunately, I've little experience with Japanese-made patches.)

Thanks.

I was in the 18th TFW 75-78. We had many patches along this line (the Surrendering Chicken). Most were made off-base and not much quality control was involved. I was issued one that looked in no way possible like the wing insignia; it was even hard to see a chicken of any kind, let alone a rooster.

here is another 18th TFW subdued patch that is fully embroidered from the 1980's that came of a OG-507 utility shirt that was locally made.

Mark

post-1786-1303954858.jpg

post-1786-1303954872.jpg

Capt.Confederacy
I was in the 18th TFW 75-78. We had many patches along this line (the Surrendering Chicken). Most were made off-base and not much quality control was involved. I was issued one that looked in no way possible like the wing insignia; it was even hard to see a chicken of any kind, let alone a rooster.

Thanks for data. It's amazing the difference in construction techniques used between mine and the one Mark1 posted.

Capt.Confederacy
here is another 18th TFW subdued patch that is fully embroidered from the 1980's that came of a OG-507 utility shirt that was locally made.

Mark

Nice patch.