Army Good Conduct Medals

Brig

Here's a bunch of US Army GC pieces I've picked up here and there. All 3 medals are slot broach, unnamed and non-glowing. I assume WWII. the box set is one group, and the bar and buttonere with the medal on the right is one group. Now, for the boxed medal, what are the scraps of ribbon for? I've seen them over the years and never know why they're included think.gif

Alright, center, button hole devices. Two different types, see rear photos. Does this indicate eras or just manufactorers?

Ribbon Bars. All different types. Looking for eras if anyone can tell...column 1, zinc slider in rear, just a hook type catch. Non-glow. I'm guessing later WWII?

Column 2. These are the style bars that come with the medals, so I'm sure they're WWII. Top one zinc slider, middle one plastic covered. All 3 non-glow

Column 3. Korea type bar, no slider. Non-glow

Column 4. Both zinc sliders, WWII looking I'm guessing. Non-glow

Column 5. Glows, I'm thinking more modern. Slider marked with a large 'A' and 'G-I'

Column 6. I forgot I had this. Non-glow, strange pin back reminiscent of the French types. I think it was theater made in Vietnam. Any other opinions?

thanks guys!

GC_Fronts.JPG

Brig,

I believe the button type ribbons are indeed different manufacturers judging from your pictures.

Further, I think the scrap of ribbon is to replace worn ribbons.

As for the sliders; I have a zinc one (Purple Heart) and a "golden" one (Bronze Star) which are from the little grouping from a 26th ID Combat Veteran.

So those are definitely WWII in my opinion.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Erwin

WW2 medals for the most part have a stich to each side of the ribbon below the mounting pin. Early WW2 medals have what they call the rap brooch which means the mounting pin or slide goes around and through the ribbon to the mounting pin. That is the way the ribbon is held to the medal. New medals have no stich the pin or clutch back slides directly into the suspension device. I am not sure this makes scene. I need to post some pictures to clarify this.

I'm aware of that. there's a good thread pinned on this forum entitled 'Brooch or Broach?' that has pics of them all. thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned this Army GCM for quite a few years. I came in an unnamed WWII period blue cardboard medal box without a label with 2 ribbon "cuts", a ribbon bar and an enameled lapel pin.

It has a suspension ring rather than a "knob". The only place that I have seen a GCM with a suspension ring is in the October 1943 National Geographic.

Does anyone have an idea as to who is the manufacturer and when?

Thanks,

Bill

post-248-1189982450.jpg

post-248-1189982459.jpg

• 1 year later...

Late to this thread but her's my 2 cents:

Bill: Your medal I suspect has been reribboned at some point. Here's why - the only AGCM with the ring suspension was the type 1 which was characterized by the ring suspension, wrap brooch and was numbered. It was made by the Medallic Art Co on the 4 Dec 42 contract. Is yours numbered on the edge - tiny numbers.

The type 2 was also numbered and had a wrap brooch but had a knob suspension.

The type 3 was unnumbered, had a slot brooch and a knob suspension - this was the most numerous WW2 type.

The type 4 had a slot brooch and a lug or sometimes a half knob (round in front flat in back) suspension

Type 5 is the current version - crimp brooch and lug suspension.

I don't have contract data on type2 but it was early war. Type 3 was made by a wide variety on contractors (Uncas, Medallic Art, Robbins, Bastian Bros, Cord, etc) in 44-45.

Type 4 probably immediate post-war, Korea, early VN.

Hope this helps,

Jim

FrankEaton01

Type 2 Army Good Conduct Medals were produced under the same 13 August 1942 Medallic Art Co. contract as the Type 1 medals (4 December 1942 purchase order). Approximately 250 numbered Type 1 GCMs with a ring suspension and wrap brooch were issued. In 1944, however, Coro Inc. also produced un-numbered GCMs with a ring suspension and slot brooch. When viewed from the front, the rings used by Coro are taller, due to a little stalk. The rings used by Medallic Art Co. were soldered directly to the edge of the pendant and are not as tall from the front.

f2d11710.jpg

a449ead4.jpg

2383abe6.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST
Now, for the boxed medal, what are the scraps of ribbon for? I've seen them over the years and never know why they're included

I have always wondered if these scrap pieces were for the option of folding and sewing the piece directly to a uniform to make a "bar". I don't recall seeing these extra pieces accompanying awards after WWII... dunno.gif

Frank,

Thanks for the info on the Coros type AGCM, I'd never seen this type before. I'll add your data to my notes. Bill's medal must then be a Coros variety. So this makes 6 types of AGCM.

Jim

• 5 years later...

Type 2 Army Good Conduct Medals were produced under the same 13 August 1942 Medallic Art Co. contract as the Type 1 medals (4 December 1942 purchase order). Approximately 250 numbered Type 1 GCMs with a ring suspension and wrap brooch were issued. In 1944, however, Coro Inc. also produced un-numbered GCMs with a ring suspension and slot brooch. When viewed from the front, the rings used by Coro are taller, due to a little stalk. The rings used by Medallic Art Co. were soldered directly to the edge of the pendant and are not as tall from the front.

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss261/frankeaton01/USMF/Medals/f2d11710.jpg

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss261/frankeaton01/USMF/Medals/a449ead4.jpg

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss261/frankeaton01/USMF/Medals/2383abe6.jpg

Bringing this thread back to the top. The pictures that Frank Eaton posted in his thread are, I suspect, exactly what I am looking for.

Frank Eaton (USMF id = FrankEaton01) hasn't posted anything since 2012. Does anyone know Frank, or have any contact information for him (email, phone, anything).

Thanks.

Ed