Can anyone tell me what era this patch is?

Patchcollector

Patchcollector

Here is a HMM-165 patch I picked up a few weeks ago,it is beautifully Japanese made,with the typical

tight weave cotton linen backing.I have looked around on the web to see if I could find out what era this is,

I'm hoping it's Vietnam era,but there is a confusing number of designs for this unit,so I thought I would

post a pic of it,and let the experts comment.Thanks,and sorry for the image size,it's all I have right now.

post-13386-1290034916.jpg

Johnny Signor

If you know what they flew at the time try googling the Helo type and then see if there's any photos of the emblem on the Helos and or pilots/crew etc

Johnny

Or try finding a reunion site or current unit lineage on them.

Checked one site about them and there's a group photos of unit members with a wooden plaque on the table in photo with emblem just like your patch, the photo was taken in 1967 so it at least dates to that time .

Johnny

Patchcollector
If you know what they flew at the time try googling the Helo type and then see if there's any photos of the emblem on the Helos and or pilots/crew etc

Johnny

Or try finding a reunion site or current unit lineage on them.

Checked one site about them and there's a group photos of unit members with a wooden plaque on the table in photo with emblem just like your patch, the photo was taken in 1967 so it at least dates to that time .

Johnny

Thanks Johnny,I looked around online but found a confusing amount of patch designs and timelines.Do you remember what website it was that had the pic of the plaque?

Johnny Signor
Thanks Johnny,I looked around online but found a confusing amount of patch designs and timelines.Do you remember what website it was that had the pic of the plaque?

Aaaaa Yup ! Here ya go, type in , hmm165whiteknights.com/photos

There's abigger title on the aol pages - HMM-165 Photo History, once there click into the "Photo" section and then into the 1967 era and scroll down through them, the photo has a bunch of the crew guys standing in front of a table and one of them is holding a plaque with the emblem shown, you may want to enlarge the photo but it is the emblem design of your patch .

Glad to help !

Johnny

Patchcollector
Aaaaa Yup ! Here ya go, type in , hmm165whiteknights.com/photos

There's abigger title on the aol pages - HMM-165 Photo History, once there click into the "Photo" section and then into the 1967 era and scroll down through them, the photo has a bunch of the crew guys standing in front of a table and one of them is holding a plaque with the emblem shown, you may want to enlarge the photo but it is the emblem design of your patch .

Glad to help !

Johnny

Thanks alot Johnny,I saw your post just as I was heading for bed,will go view it now. :)

I just saw it,I was at that website before,and went right by it,your eyes are alot sharper than mine!

Johnny Signor
Thanks alot Johnny,I saw your post just as I was heading for bed,will go view it now. :)

I just saw it,I was at that website before,and went right by it,your eyes are alot sharper than mine!

Make sure and check oput page 16 of 1968, there's two photo of the patch on an G-1 jacket worn by a crewman , your patch !

Johnny

Patchcollector
Make sure and check oput page 16 of 1968, there's two photo of the patch on an G-1 jacket worn by a crewman , your patch !

Johnny

Yep there it is,yippee! :D It's a very nice website too,alot of great pics,man those Marine Helo units

had some tough ops in Nam