unknown airborne patch question

snake36bravo

This is a scan from Yank Magazine Sept 1 Vol 3 No. 11 featuring a story on 1st Sgt. Manuel Serrano who spent 10 or 20 months depending on which caption is correct fighting alongside Italian Partisans after escaping from a POW camp.

My question relates to the shoulder patch he is wearing. Not being worn on the correct shoulder I am wondering if this might be a censorship job on a flipped photograph or has any other Airborne collector seen something like this? Note there is no Airborne tab. Unit isn't identified in the article.

Thanks.

post-2582-1289980432.jpg

Looks like it might be a large embroidered jumpwing from that angle...though I've never seen such a patch worn in that position!

Sabrejet :think:

I'm hoping someone has an Italian made example out there.

I agree with you. Looks like large shoulder patch size airborne wings on some color and type of background. I'm just hoping for an ID.

:thumbsup:

It is 100% on the right sleeve,,his hat is on the right way hhmmmmmm...

In addition, the flap on his jacket is left over right, so the photo is correct.

-Ski

It may be a version of the Winged Boot emblem usually associated with USAAF/RAF, awarded for escaping/evading from behind enemy lines -- walking out. And, in escaping captivity and serving with the partisans, he seems to have done that.