Best Displays

LtRGFRANK

As I have traveled this great Country I have visited Museums and battlefields all over. This past week I helped my son move into his house at Ft Riley and hit all the military Museums. On the way back through Nebraska I stopped at one that advertized one Million items. What a big disappointment. (he must have counted pages in his book) I've come to the conclusion the best displays are on this forum. What ever topic or item you want to see or learn about all you have to do is ask and you will see more that any museum has. In retirement and limited funds for thavel all I have to do is set down and type. Keep up the good work.

I agree. This forum is the best place to see everything. All you have to do is ask and you normally always get. I also have traveled the US looking at every museum I can pull my car into. So if anyone wants to see anything I have ask.

MI CASA, TU CASA.

4starchris

As I have traveled this great Country I have visited Museums and battlefields all over. This past week I helped my son move into his house at Ft Riley and hit all the military Museums. On the way back through Nebraska I stopped at one that advertized one Million items. What a big disappointment. (he must have counted pages in his book) I've come to the conclusion the best displays are on this forum. What ever topic or item you want to see or learn about all you have to do is ask and you will see more that any museum has. In retirement and limited funds for thavel all I have to do is set down and type. Keep up the good work.

Hi Frank,

Can you share so pics of your visit? Would love to see what you saw.

4starchris

Sorry I didn't take any pictures as I didn't see anything that I don't have in my collection. And I can't get my computor to download pictures to the forum. If and when my son can come home on leave and fixes the problem(computor or me) I can't accomadate your request

Sorry I didn't take any pictures as I didn't see anything that I don't have in my collection. And I can't get my computor to download pictures to the forum. If and when my son can come home on leave and fixes the problem(computor or me) I can't accomadate your request

Understand. Thanks for the post.

4starchris

I agree that many so called military museums offer very little in the way of the unusual and are usually a very big let-down (I will say that I have been to some that are great!) What makes me upset, even beyond the "let-down" is that many of these "so called" museums have no standards of preservation leaving the artfacts (usually donated by unsuspecting individuals) to suffer a horrible fate. A classic example is a small "military museum" about an hour from my home that has an identified Civil War frock coat rotting off a bust...I mean rotting with pieces on the floor under the display and one sleeve now partially unattached (I should add that this has been going on for four years). Some argue that these small museums mean well and don't have the funds to do high grade preservation. I agree however 1) I offered my professional services free of charge-which they turned down (I have a degree in Public History and training in artifact conservation) and 2) Even though their artifacts are falling apart (they have many other military items from the Civil War through the present which are in sorry condition), they are still seeking and receiving donations.

I also agree that this is, by far, hands down, one of the best sights for the collector of US militaria...and one of the best places to view displays! I know many in the museum profession who don't approve of "collectors" but boy could they learn a thing or two from many of the "collectors" on this sight. I should also add that I am impressed with the lenghts the collectors on this sight have gone to preserve their collections. I am a firm believer in the old saying of "just when you have seen it all something new comes along" and this sight makes that statement 100 percent true.

Now I just have to get my self in gear and start posting my collection!

Steve

I agree this forum is invaluable when it comes to checking out gear. I will admit however when my wife and I stayed at a chateau on the northern coast of France (Normandy Region) for a couple days and tried to hit all the museums in the area (and there are a lot), it seems like every farmer with a spare quansit has a museum, I saw some pretty fantastic stuff. I have been to a lot of museums all over this country and abroad. If I could go back to only one of them (a military museum) it would have to be the Imperial War Museum in the U.K. simply awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you come by the museum here at Fort Riley by chance? If you get a chance to come back this way drop me a line, I work at the museums here on post.