VFW Uniform

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a nice Veteran of Foreign Wars tunic for a WWI veteran over the weekend. It is a custom made VFW tunic named to the veteran and made in the style of the Model 1926 officer uniform. The neat thing about it is the direct embroidered VFW patch on the shoulder and a bullion overseas stripe on the left cuff.

VFW_tunic_side.JPG

VFW_tunic_label.JPG

Here is a closeup of the VFW patch that was directly embroidered onto the shoulder when it was tailored.

VFW_tunic_patch.JPG

Since the VFW does not recognize military ranks I wonder if wartime rank insignia (such as Lieutenant bars, etc.) would have been worn on this uniform? I know the practice seems to be allowed to wear rank, DIs, pins, etc. on the VFW overseas cap but would it be appropriate on a uniform such as this? I think it is interesting that he chose to wear his overseas stripe on his uniform.

Nice jacket.

Thanks Pauly. I thought it was nice when I saw it, particularly with the direct embroidered VFW patch.

The tunic is made in the general style of the Model 1926 Officer's Coat but it does not have patch pockets on the breast. It does have the metal belt ramps for a leather Sam Browne belt. It will go nicely with a 1938 dated VFW etched blade presentation Model 1902 Sabre that I have.

VFW_tunic_belt_ramps.JPG

If the VFW uniform regs then are like they are now (which is practically non-existent), he could have worn anything he wanted...I've got a summer uniform from just after WWI...the man added his WWI 37th ID patch, a VFW patch, and his WWI Victory Medal ribbon...and nothing else....some of the VFW Honor Guard's I've seen...well, you could deck yourself out as a Bolivian Field Marshal if you wanted to!

Mark sends

If the VFW uniform regs then are like they are now (which is practically non-existent), he could have worn anything he wanted...I've got a summer uniform from just after WWI...the man added his WWI 37th ID patch, a VFW patch, and his WWI Victory Medal ribbon...and nothing else....some of the VFW Honor Guard's I've seen...well, you could deck yourself out as a Bolivian Field Marshal if you wanted to!

Mark sends

Thanks for your thoughts on insignia Mark. That actually goes along with what I was thinking. Since it seems OK to wear pins and insignia on the cap why not on the uniform? In this case he obviously wore his overseas stripe and I have seen ribbon bars with both a WWI Victory medal and a VFW medal ribbon.