Assault Jacket / Invasion vest on D Day

Jamecharles

I also feel that the vest is a reproduction, though I never owned one. But the stitching looks a bit strange. The thread seems to be too thin for example.

But maybe I´m wrong with that.

post-5069-1326283600.jpg

Hello Johan, I totally agree with you (even if the photos are not of the best quality).

You can clearly see on the picture posted here that it has been artificially aged using a washing machine (white marks on the od fabric resulting from the use of modern products). Also, rust on the metal parts look really "fresh" (washing machine also...).

post-8590-1326370237.jpg

The question with the Avery AJ is that the documentation I found was that only 4 companies made them. Now this was in a letter to those comanies thanking them for getting thw work done in such a fast manner.

Did anyone else make them? possibly but I think that needs to some actual proof. However Avery is a possible exception as (and this is not taking into account the provanace of the known example) is that Avery was the maker of the fittings. So they did have a connection with the project and may possibly have whipped some up to make sure the fittings were all the right size or something, or they were unable to finish their batch before the invasion (in which case we should see some mint ones in the states).

• 11 years later...
isaiaygrat27

Hi, I am kind of new to this forum but I was wondering, how many Assault vests were delivered to the GIs for D-Day and what Companies got them? I read that some GIs in both the 1st and 29th IDs got them but (mainly b/c of the lack of photos at the beach) I never really see them wearing the vests. If someone can send me photos of this that would be great.