Assault Jacket / Invasion vest on D Day

Jamecharles

I've few questions about the Assault Jacket / Invasion vest on D Day:

how many soldiers used it?

someone have a photos of an Assault Jacket / Invasion vest on D Day in Kakhi color ?! becouse i've seen alot of photos but always in Od shade...

what usually the soldiers carryng on it? and where

Do you have an original Assault Jacket / Invasion vest ? can you post some photos here?

Thank you all

Giancarlo

Johan Willaert

someone have a photos of an Assault Jacket / Invasion vest on D Day in Kakhi color ?! becouse i've seen alot of photos but always in Od shade...

Here's a small study I made regarding the use of tan jackets in Normandy. It is not always clear on original images to see whether it's dark or tan. Even if you look at the contrast of the edging and the straps.

That even a tan jacket can appear a bit darker is clear on the re-enactment image below which shows me wearing my original tan jacket in 1992. Compare to the M41 field jacket and the rest of the gear...

Ranger.jpg

I'm sure Bryan can add to this...

Johan

Johan is correct about comparing shades of color in B/W photos. Very difficult to make out which is truly a "dark OD" or "light OD" assault vest when compared to M41 field Jackets the soldiers are wearing. Best way to tell (if the quality of the photo is good) is by comparing the trim on the vest to the body of the canvas. In B/W photos light OD vests will not have a lighter shade of trim as all known examples of light OD vests have dark OD trim. Harian and JA Shoe were the only manufacturers of light OD bodied vests. Dark OD vests can have either dark or light OD trim with lighter trim showing up in the vast majority of original photos. Tweedie and S. Froelich vests are known to only have been made with light OD trim on a dark OD canvas body while Harian dark OD vests have a mixture of dark OD and light OD trim. Nearly all light OD vests in collections today are in unissued condition while the vests that have come out of Normandy for the past 60 years have been dark OD. I've only seen a couple of used light OD vests, one of which is in my collection (cut down), whereas I've observed nearly a dozen combat used dark OD vests in personal collections or museums. Although I am positive the majority of vests used on D-Day were dark OD with light OD trim, there is at least some photographic evidence that suggests light OD vests were there as well.

Bryan

Here's a recently dicovered photo of an assault vest being worn by a sailor after D-Day off of Omaha Beach. Note also that he is wearing a black or dark blue jacket or sweater under the vest.

BAR.jpg

BAR015.jpg

I hear my name being taken in vain...

Anyway, I stand by my original research that there were no British Made jackets in WW2, except for the ONE (or maybe two) shown in the Wooecombe photo. There is no written evidence in any file, One record clearly states that a prototype was made in the UK and SENT TO THE USA for further work, and I have not been able to find anyone that ever saw one pre-1980.

I have seen the one in the windrow book in person- it has been sold since then and I do not know where it is. I am quite sure it was a fake due tot he patterns of wear on the surplus british webbing that was used. It was also not at all marked in any similarity to any ofther british made gear. They were not sure about it during the book shoot, and it slipped in. And I spoke to a person that I know very well who told me who had made some up in London to make some money. The maker DID NOT have an original to work from.

A dealer involved in te selling of one claimed "it came from a pallet of British MAde gear he bought from an old webbing factor. And has since distanced himself from the claim. Especially as he told people he only found one- and a few turned up throh his hands.

Thereis one in the USA which I have not seen perosnally, but a number of photos of. It was bought overseas and has a "combat servicible" tag on it - which makes no sense, and I feel was added to "sweeten the pot." I have only seen that tag used in the USA- not ever from the ETO. Correct me if I am wrong.

The owner paid good money for it, and will not accept the fact that there is ZERO evidence any were ever made. Thus myths are born.

As all evidence points to Brit Made Assault Jackets being an extraordinary claim, then extraordinary evidence needs to be presented I think it would very cool for someone to prove they made them.

But I am not holding my breath.

Johan Willaert

Thanks for giving your view, Jon

I don't think anyone here really believes the British actually made more vests than the one used at Woolacomb.

Johan

In fact I shopuld offer a reward to anyone that can convince me they made them. Which would be period documentation, period photographs, or absolute proof one was in a collection before, say 1970. Anyone that can do that I will send a signed copy of Spearheading D-day with an appropriate message of contrition.

In fact I shopuld offer a reward to anyone that can convince me they made them. Which would be period documentation, period photographs, or absolute proof one was in a collection before, say 1970. Anyone that can do that I will send a signed copy of Spearheading D-day with an appropriate message of contrition.

Hi Jon, great to see you here!

I'd be more than happy to throw in something for the reward too. ;) I can't tell you how many times collectors have asked me about "British Made" Assault Jackets which I would always respond, "they didn't exist beyond the prototype".

Bryan

Dear All

Here are some pictures of mine ( US Dark color model )

This assault jacket was displayed in June 1979 ( 45th anniversary) in the window of an electrical appliance shop in rue Saint Jean, mainstreet of Bayeux Normandy.

I entered the shop and have asked if the jacket was for sale but the shopkeeper was unable to reply since the jacket belonged to one of his employees who was not in duty this particular day.

I went again early the next day and fortunately the guy was present in the shop and was willing to sell the jacket.

A acquired same for 1000 former french francs,( 200 USD of today) plus a german WWII map.

The guy told me that, as a boy he collected the jacket shortly after WWIi and used same for fishing ( no wonder , I later found another completely cutted down for this purpose)

In the 80ies a lot of brand new jackets ( light colored) apperared in the region of Lyon-France and was then sold on the french trade shows for about 3000 FF ( 600 USD of Today).

The last one I have seen for sale ( Detrez in 2004 at Ste Mère Eglise ) was offered for 3000 € (1 € = 1.35 USD).

Better investment than stocks and bonds

6cwu1li.jpg

4z3uusk.jpg

4q6dqp1.jpg

63c4it1.jpg

Yours

Teufelhund

Better investment than stocks and bonds

No doubt, especially these days. :lol:

Is "S. Froelich" the maker on your vest?

Thanks,

Bryan

No doubt, especially these days. :lol:

Is "S. Froelich" the maker on your vest?

Thanks,

Bryan

No it is maked " AVERY" T9???

Size Medium

T

No it is maked " AVERY" T9???

Size Medium

T

Thanks for checking.

"AVERY", hmmm now thats very interesting. think.gif

You've got a real one for sure but that's the first Avery made vest that I've heard of.

Thanks for checking.

"AVERY", hmmm now thats very interesting. think.gif

You've got a real one for sure but that's the first Avery made vest that I've heard of.

I confirm... AVERY

KEEP on the line Bryan

Will make a pic of the marking ASAP and Post it Soon

F

T,

Thanks a BUNCH! :) Never have actually seen a "Avery" vest until now. I know Jon Gawne had written in his assault vest article that Avery possibly did make them. Well now we have an example, thanks.

Bryan

I now have to restrip my mannequin...22H22 here

But maybe will wait a little while... for better pics

Hope I was of some help

In 1979 we met

Sky Jackson

John Zimmer

Fred Lashmet

Don Hastings

Eugene Sawyer

Tom Morrisson

Al Pedroni

John kelly

dan kosskimaki

Robert Rader

Dan Murphy

Larry Lutz

Joe Lutwig

Charles Weise

Joseph Koback

Roy Popp

Henry Rittler

All of them 101st Vets

I am almost a vet myself

A vet who meets the real vets

Teufelhund

Johan Willaert

Unless that's Thomas' first name...

Doesn't the stamp with AVERY and T... look one stamp?

Just playing the devil's advocate here....

Not at all Johan

Thomas is Inked hand written on the back spade flap

while "Avery " and the T( I dont know what figure, maybe 9) is Stamped INSIDE the jacket

Obviously the stamping

AVERY T (??not legible)

MEDIUM

is coherent and has nothing to do with the inked "Thomas"

Maybe you may come at my place and have a look by yourself after the Wavre trade show next saturday ,

I always keep some good belgian beers in the fridge

Teufelhund