My first time posting,...

tsellati

...at least in this forum. And, the reason for my first (of many) posts is to share some photos of Vietnam War M56 webgear I am beginning to collect. I also hope to learn a lot more than I already do (which is virtually nothing) about the gear and how it was used.

So, to start, here is an M56 ammunition pouch I recently acquired -

ammopouchfront.jpg

Can you tell from the DSA number when the pouch was manufactured?

iammopouchnkstamp.jpg

Here are the various fasteners and attachment points -

metalfastener.jpg

Aliceclipsandstrap.jpg

I am particularly interested in learning how the strap with clip (pictured above) was used and how the side snap straps and side sewn canvas slots (pictured below) were used to secure the ammunition pouch to the M56 pistol belt.

sidesnaps.jpg

sideslot.jpg

Am I correct in thinking this hole in the bottom allows for drainage of water?

drainagehole.jpg

Finally, what was typically carried in such an ammunition pouch, loaded magazines for the M16 rifle and how many?

Thanks for the education and any comments on the ammunition pouch.

Tim

Greg Robinson

it was originally made as a "universal" ammo pouch and intended for M14 and BAR magazines. The side staps were for attaching grenades

greg

Hi Tim. The strap/clip arrangement attached to a D-ring on the suspenders...it helped support the weight of loaded pouches. On either side, the loops/snaps were intended to secure grenades. M56 pouches are interesting as there are several variants. They were initially designed to take M14 mags. When the M16 came along they used the same pouches but they weren't quite the right size for the newer mags. A quick fix was do drop a first-aid pack into each pouch to lift the mags up a bit. You'll find production differences too...some have plastic stiffeners on their rear face, others do not. '56 gear has always been relatively cheap and easy to find but recently prices have begun to climb so grab it while you can!!

Sabrejet

I am really thankful for the excellent information. I am also quite excited about my little 'project' to put together an M56 webgear display. Shortly I will be receiving a whole bunch of items directly from a Vietnam vet that used the webgear during the war.

Of course, I'll post pictures once everything arrives. I am certain to have more questions.

Tim

Tim - don't forget to search The Forum for TONS more info on M56 webgear. There are numerous threads discussing every item that was part of the overall kit. And we'll look forward to seeing more pix of your webgear setup :thumbsup:

Terry

Can you tell from the DSA number when the pouch was manufactured?

No. The PII code usually contains the contracting agency, the contract number, and the FISCAL year the contract was awarded. In the case of your small arms ammunition case that would be Fiscal Year 1966.

it was originally made as a "universal" ammo pouch and intended for M14 and BAR magazines.

The M-1956 LCE is adopted in 1956. The small arms ammunition cases are designated "universal" in that they could accommodate ammunition for the standard issue small arms of the time period: 2x BAR 20-round magazines; or 1x .30 Caliber bandoleer [with 7 en-bloc clips]; or 4 .30 carbine 30-round magazines; or two hand grenades [internally]. The small arms ammunition case was never designed around the M14 20-round magazine as the rifle was not adopted until 1957...after the M-1956 LCE was adopted. The M-1956 LCE was tested [see EX-54 examples] during 1954 through 1956 while the M14 was still being experimented with and not even under considered for adoption. It was just by sheer luck that the small arms ammunition case happened to be able to accommodate the 20-round M14 magazine.

The original "universal" small arms ammunition cases were slightly modified and the "universal" designation was dropped on 27 June 1962. The small arms ammuntion case posted by tsellati is the post-27 June 1962 small arms ammunition case.

They were initially designed to take M14 mags.

See above.

You'll find production differences too...some have plastic stiffeners on their rear face, others do not.

This is not a production difference. On 08 June 1966 the specifications of the small arms ammuntion case were changed to incorporate a plastic stiffener to allow easier removal of contents.

Hi Tim. The strap/clip arrangement attached to a D-ring on the suspenders...it helped support the weight of loaded pouches. On either side, the loops/snaps were intended to secure grenades. M56 pouches are interesting as there are several variants. They were initially designed to take M14 mags. When the M16 came along they used the same pouches but they weren't quite the right size for the newer mags. A quick fix was do drop a first-aid pack into each pouch to lift the mags up a bit. You'll find production differences too...some have plastic stiffeners on their rear face, others do not. '56 gear has always been relatively cheap and easy to find but recently prices have begun to climb so grab it while you can!!

Sabrejet

Sabrejet,

Thanks for the information and I will definitely do a search for more posts on the M56 webgear.

Tim

No. The PII code usually contains the contracting agency, the contract number, and the FISCAL year the contract was awarded. In the case of your small arms ammunition case that would be Fiscal Year 1966.

The M-1956 LCE is adopted in 1956. The small arms ammunition cases are designated "universal" in that they could accommodate ammunition for the standard issue small arms of the time period: 2x BAR 20-round magazines; or 1x .30 Caliber bandoleer [with 7 en-bloc clips]; or 4 .30 carbine 30-round magazines; or two hand grenades [internally]. The small arms ammunition case was never designed around the M14 20-round magazine as the rifle was not adopted until 1957...after the M-1956 LCE was adopted. The M-1956 LCE was tested [see EX-54 examples] during 1954 through 1956 while the M14 was still being experimented with and not even under considered for adoption. It was just by sheer luck that the small arms ammunition case happened to be able to accommodate the 20-round M14 magazine.

The original "universal" small arms ammunition cases were slightly modified and the "universal" designation was dropped on 27 June 1962. The small arms ammuntion case posted by tsellati is the post-27 June 1962 small arms ammunition case.

See above.

This is not a production difference. On 08 June 1966 the specifications of the small arms ammuntion case were changed to incorporate a plastic stiffener to allow easier removal of contents.

Wow, what a wealth of information. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge about this small arms ammunition case. Based upon your information my ammunition case was manufactured after June 1966 since it contains plastic stiffeners sewn into internal pouches on both sides and the back of the case.

I'll have to see whether I can scrounge up either 2x Vietnam War era BAR 20-round magazines or 1x .30 Caliber bandoleer [with 7 en-bloc clips] to display with my case and other webgear as I add to the collection.

Tim