Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

Here is another from me. A marine and a Corsair.

Mike

Mike -

An interesting shot, that's an F4U-4. Any other information on the pic?

Regards,

Rich

Sadly no Rich. It was a single photo pick up with no writing on reverse.

thanks for the model clarification. I have a few more corsairs with the jolly roger but they appear to be post WWII so I have posted them here on the thread.

Mike

Mike -

An interesting shot, that's an F4U-4. Any other information on the pic?

Regards,

Rich

Here's one of my dad, a Pfc in the 244th Engr Cbt Bn. He was a medic, attached to Co C. Photo taken near Bleckede, Germany, May 1945. Bleckede is on the w. bank of the Elbe R. approx 30 miles s. of Hamburg. GIs like my dad drove Patton crazy because of his use (their use) of captured vehicles for personal use- note the Kubelwagen w/ US markings. Since the 244th was in the 9th US Army, General Simpson said they could drive what they wanted.

post-622-1199410341.jpg

Here's one of my friend, Pfc Harry Miller, HQ Co, 740th Tank Bn. He's wearing a 740th patch and DAREDEVIL tab on his left shoulder, a 3rd US Army on his right, a PX Armor patch on his left chest, and a woven mini-740th patch on his o/s cap. Photo tanken near Hamburg, 1945. Intereresting enough is that the 740th Tank Bn crossed the bridge (as did the 505th PIR - 82nd Abn Div) that my dad's engr bn built across the Elbe 30 Apr-1 May 45.

post-622-1199410620.jpg

Very nice photos tredhed!

Here are acouple of new scans from a negative lot that came in the mail today. One of these days I am going to invest in a scanner that can do 4x6 and larger negatives.

Mike

post-1387-1199508729.jpg

post-1387-1199508752.jpg

Nice pics My Dad was in the 82 at the end of the war.

He is my Dad and his corporal. They are in AB AA training just before leaving for Europe. By the time he got to Europe they did not have much need for AB AA of AB AT units so he was assigned to be liason to the Free French Forces.

Here is the patch from the uniform.

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

Very interesting photos.
Was there a reason that you know of why he didn't wear the insignia?

Here a few from my personal collection;

Lee Lopez, member of the 823rd Tank Destroyer Battalion.
Picture taken in Germany, 1945.

James Ferullo, 328th Regiment, 26th Division.
Linz, Austria, 1945.

Major General George Ruhlen, CO 3rd Armored Field Artillery Battalion, 9th Armored Division. Taken in 1944, he was a Lieutenant-Colonel then.

Erwin

post-22-0-39736300-1400625446.jpg

post-22-0-69947800-1400625448.jpg

post-22-0-26535700-1400625451.jpg

John Dewire, 101st Regiment, 26th Division.
Taken in November 1943.

Nels Block, Jr. 687th Field Artillery Battalion.

Orville Broden, 21st Armored Infantry Battalion, 11th Armored Division.

Erwin

post-22-0-77388400-1400625550.jpg

post-22-0-70775400-1400625552.jpg

post-22-0-74740500-1400625554.jpg

great photos everyone! I really enjoy this thread and all the wonderfull history that is shown here.

Here is one from a negative lot I recieved recently. Did a search on Col. Craw. Brave man & MOH winner

Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action above and beyond the call of duty. On 8 November 1942, near Port Lyautey, French Morocco, Col. Craw volunteered to accompany the leading wave of assault boats to the shore and pass through the enemy lines to locate the French commander with a view to suspending hostilities. This request was first refused as being too dangerous but upon the officer's ins1stence that he was qualified to undertake and accomplish the mission he was allowed to go. Encountering heavy fire while in the landing boat and unable to dock in the river because of shell fire from shore batteries, Col. Craw, accompanied by 1 officer and 1 soldier, succeeded in landing on the beach at Mehdia Plage under constant low-level strafing from 3 enemy planes. Riding in a bantam truck toward French headquarters, progress of the party was hindered by fire from our own naval guns. Nearing Port Lyautey, Col. Craw was instantly killed by a sustained burst of machinegun fire at pointblank range from a concealed position near the road.

post-1387-1199917680.jpg

another from the Morrocan negative set.

I am not too hip on the ID info on the bumpers but could this be a vehicle attached to the 12th AAF?

post-1387-1199930499.jpg

...I am not too hip on the ID info on the bumpers but could this be a vehicle attached to the 12th AAF?

My lucky guess is Detachment 24, 12th Weather Squadron, USAAF: It was there.

Charlie Flick
Notice my Grandfather isn't wearing any insignia.

With the disclaimer that I don't collect insignia or uniforms (and therefore probably don't know what the heck I am talking about) , I am wondering if the reason is that perhaps the group pictured are Aviation Cadets and therefore no rank insignia was necessary. I saw your indication that your grandfather was a top gunner on the B-24, a position usually filled by an NCO. Did your grandfather go through Aviation Cadet training at some point in his USAAF career? Perhaps that might explain the officer uniforms, the caps with the winged propeller instead of the eagle, and the absence of insignia.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Thanks so much. The 12 and the AAF patches led me to think that.

My lucky guess is Detachment 24, 12th Weather Squadron, USAAF: It was there.

Here is one from an ablum showing two brothers who were in the AAF.

post-1387-1200008289.jpg

post-1387-1200008562.jpg

Thanks Karl! Means a lot coming from you.

I am going to post a few from an LCI(L) grouping I have. I started a thread in the vessels forum but got no response. Thought the photos guys would enjoy!.

Mike

Some nice photos and negatives you have there Mike. thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Karl

post-1387-1200196069.jpg

post-1387-1200196129.jpg

post-1387-1200196188.jpg

post-1387-1200196209.jpg

Nice scanned negative Karl! It has the feel of mid to late 45' to me and I sure do love that CBI patch.

Mike

Hi

Not sure about the date on this one. Was sold as being on the other side of the world. Long story. :lol:

Cheers

Karl

post-662-1200334247.jpg

Capt. Clark Gable and Capt. Verl Shaffer, 351st Bombardment Group (Heavy).

Mr. Shaffer was a customer of my dad's a few years back. They got to talking one day, and Mr. Shaffer had mentioned he had served in WWII with the 351st Bomb Group and Clark Gable. My dad told him that I just happened to be a military history fanatic, especially when it comes to WWII, so the next time Mr. Shaffer came in, he brought a copy of a picture of him with Clark Gable to send to me. He said Clark Gable was "a truly great guy".

6uiely0.jpg