Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

A picture of my dad, the Ranger, visiting his brother with the 449th Bombardment Group at Grottaglie, Italy. March(?) 1945.

Is the brother Stanislaus Gorski, 716th Squadron ordnance?

Salvage Sailor

US Army Nurse in England 1944 - Served with 95th General Hospital and 104th General Hospital 1943-1945

001.jpg

• 3 months later...

post-34986-0-81551700-1458709024.jpg

A fella named Andy Kauffman, an Aircrewman as we see, 749th Bomb Squadron, 8th AF, he was shot down over Gdingen West Prussia April 9, 1944, held at Luft Stalag 17.

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifLions of Cantigny.jpg

An excellent portrait of a 28th Infantry 8th Infantry Division GI, one Carl Dinkler,of Clarksburg Ohio. photo most likely taken sometime in 1942. He was wounded in Brittany.

It has been quite the surprise to see this photo, actually......

Carl Dinkler was my uncle. In fact, my favourite uncle. He was indeed wounded in Brittany...several times...by a sniper. For the rest of his life, he needed leg braces to walk. Yet ...he farmed not only his own land, but helped his older brother and my grandfather farm their land as well.

My understanding is that he also received a medal (which one, I don't know as I never even knew about it until long after his death) for his actions which put him in front of that sniper.

He passed away 01November82.

Many thanks to Patches for honouring him.

It has been quite the surprise to see this photo, actually......

Carl Dinkler was my uncle. In fact, my favourite uncle. He was indeed wounded in Brittany...several times...by a sniper. For the rest of his life, he needed leg braces to walk. Yet ...he farmed not only his own land, but helped his older brother and my grandfather farm their land as well.

My understanding is that he also received a medal (which one, I don't know as I never even knew about it until long after his death) for his actions which put him in front of that sniper.

He passed away 01November82.

Many thanks to Patches for honouring him.

post-34986-0-06755500-1426050187.jpg

It is a rare occasion indeed when we can do this, and that you found him here, and it must be quite thrilling. In most respects this is what USMF is all about, the commemoration of men who wore the many uniforms/insignia, helmets and gear posted in the various forums here.

As to that other medal, it will be the Bronze Star, while it's not mentioned, it could very well be with the V Device, V for a Valorous award of the Bronze Star.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=148629769

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Review of troops. The back ground looks similiar to the Desert Training Center at Fort Irwin, CA. Also notice the combination of equipment M-1 helmets and M1917A1 helmets, etc. Unfortunetly the caption for the photo is no longer with it.

attachicon.gifNWNS_PHO...P_REVEIW.jpg

This photo was taken in Iceland. Gen. Bonesteel on far left.

SKYLINE DRIVE

attachicon.gifphpuDyF99PM.jpg

One Lieutenant Oid Wineland, from Osborne County Kansas, he fought in the 121st Inf, 8th Div in the big one.

https://ochf.wordpress.com/2012/10/14/oid-lee-wineland-1996-inductee/

This picture was taken in Diekirch / Luxembourg, by the local photographer Mister Jules Ferry. The curtain and the tiles are a sure giveaway. The 8th Infantry Division was posted in northern Luxembourg, along the Siegfriedline, from 30th September 1944 until 19th November 1944. There are dozens of similar pictures in the collection of the Diekirch National Military History Museum. I have a picture of Captain Philip M. Turner of the 687th FA BN, taken in the same room.

post-82906-0-35524900-1464804425.jpg

bellasilva

This handsome fella is Captain William S. McCauley. He commanded Troop C of the 4th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, landing on Utah Beach on June 9th, 1944, and fighting through Normandy's hedgerows alongside the 101st Airborne Division..

He was killed by German small arms fire during a 200 yard dash in an attempt to take Bogheim, Germany.

post-104906-0-20350600-1464810386.jpg

post-104906-0-20350600-1464810386.jpg

• 2 months later...

What is the one in the old Tin Hat? Philippines

This handsome fella is Captain William S. McCauley. He commanded Troop C of the 4th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, landing on Utah Beach on June 9th, 1944, and fighting through Normandy's hedgerows alongside the 101st Airborne Division..

He was killed by German small arms fire during a 200 yard dash in an attempt to take Bogheim, Germany.

Here's an official Army Brief from the Armored School Fort Knox Kentucky of 7 March 1948 on the 4th Cav Grp in WWII from D-Day to Saint Lo, McCauley is mentioned on page 10.

http://www.benning.army.mil/library/content/Virtual/Armorpapers/NormanBrooks%20O.%20MAJ.pdf

And on the Battle of Bogheim, say Troop C commander wounded, did he DOW?

http://lbha.proboards.com/thread/4582/bogheim

When I got this one home, I discovered that behind this photo, hidden in the same frame, is this Sailor's HS graduation photo, his USN enlistment photo, and this, from the end of the war.

Posted Image

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

SSgt Bernard "Barney" Major Jr. 82nd AB Communications. D-day, Market Garden, The Ardennes, and Op. Varsity

Posted Image

attachicon.gifkauffman004-009.jpg

A fella named Andy Kauffman, an Aircrewman as we see, 749th Bomb Squadron, 8th AF, he was shot down over Gdingen West Prussia April 9, 1944, held at Luft Stalag 17.

What is the small square patch near his cuff?

Thanks

Paul

Salome, AZ

My Dad, Gary H Underhill Sr., was a 20 year old medic with the 63rd Engineer Brigade Combat in Germany in 1956. The 63rd EBC was tasked with repairing bridges destroyed by allied bombing during the war. My dad is still with us, and says that some of his happiest years were in the Army.

36909a11f6753b9c9d953cf82c72a029.jpg

I know that this photo isn't US, but it's Canadian, which is close enough. I only ask that this photo be allowed in this thread of honor. This is my Great Uncle, Theophilus Ellery Underhill, #794053. He was 18 years old when he answered his country's call and enlisted in the Canadian 26th Infantry Bn., New Brunswick Regt in 1914. In 1915 he deployed to France with his regiment and saw nearly three years of continuous trench warfare. On the 1st day of the Battle of Alsace on 8 August 1918, Private Underhill was killed in a German mustard gas attack...just three months shy of the Armistice! He is buried with his mates in the Wood Cemetery, Marcelcave, France. RIP, Uncle Theo!

Posted Image

An unidentified US Army nurse, somewhere stateside, possibly Camp Roberts or Ft Ord.

Posted Image