Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

A 7th Cavalry soldier on occupation duty in Japan ca. 1946, with a nice job of cross-stitching on his 1st Cav. patch.

post-1963-0-46768800-1365040544.jpg

A 7th Cavalry soldier on occupation duty in Japan ca. 1946, with a nice job of cross-stitching on his 1st Cav. patch.

post-1963-0-46768800-1365040544.jpg

Nice one, too bad no unit crests on worn as of yet, maybe he just arrived in Japan and was just recently assigned to the 1st Cav Div.

I have so many great pictures I have bought over the years it is hard to choose just a few. I think this picture tells a great story. In the back ground there are posters showing the fields of fire for a B-17 and B-24 so I think he is with the 8th AAF. In the many books I have read they talk about how tired they would get after a mission. Could be he fell asleep awaiting the mission briefing, or after. Who knows? I can relate this picture to what I have read about my favorite subject.

Reminds me of a picture I have of my 1SG. We had been doing back to back 16hr+ deliberate clearance missions for weeks, he fell asleep in a house we set up in to take a break.

Johnny Signor

a very and crips 8x10 photo taken on this Lt's wedding day. Does anyone know which unit patch this is?

Mike

WW2 Alaskan Air Command patch on his shoulder

Johnny

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, that is a sweet looking rig. I have always wanted a paratrooper carbine. One of my best friends has one and he won't let it go.

This is my Great Uncle Myrl J. O'Connor. He was Killed In Action on February 10th, 1945 when his B-29 was brought down after a bombing mission. I was told that his plane made a crash landing in water and that he and other crewmen made it out. He went back in to help get others out when it went down, taking him with it. His name is listed on a memorial in the Punchbowl National Cemetery in Hawaii.

30u9w2b.jpg

firefighter

This is my Great Uncle Myrl J. O'Connor. He was Killed In Action on February 10th, 1945 when his B-29 was brought down after a bombing mission. I was told that his plane made a crash landing in water and that he and other crewmen made it out. He went back in to help get others out when it went down, taking him with it. His name is listed on a memorial in the Punchbowl National Cemetery in Hawaii.

30u9w2b.jpg

So Sad.Thank you for sharing his picture and story.

• 5 weeks later...

Nothing earth shattering but a nice colorized photo of a member of the Mighty Eighth! I think by the uniform it is post war.

Steve

post-5349-0-34180700-1370116090.jpg

@renfield, the shirt on the 8th AF guy is indeed a WWII model, a earlier one, I forgot this description, a M1933 or 38?, you can tell it differs by the peated front button closeure. the wartime ones lacked this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...