Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

Serving with ACORN 19 on Mindoro in 1945. The tent in the background may be of some interest. I recall Dad saying that they lived in tents with wood floors but the AAF personnel had tents pitched in the dirt. The Jolly Rogers B-24 squadron flew from the Navy field because it was longer than the Army field on Mindoro. Dad said he wished he had had a camera in those days.

post-54142-1323044717.jpg

Here is a prewar colorised photo of my Grand father Jesse Ressler.

Mike

Mike,

That's a neat picture. My dad's ties were all a lighter tan colored. I wonder what the different color means, if anything.

Greg

Black ties went out in Spring 1942 -- just one of the many changes, like no more campaign hats and leather garrison belts no longer mandatory for EM. Black ties can still be seen later on, worn occasionally, but not often. Some senior officers -- maybe only generals -- stayed with black.

thanks Greg for the compliment. The work ws done by a friend that lives in Australia and I think he did a superb job. As J stated this was worn pre 42 and this photo was taken in mid to early 41'

Mike

Mike,

That's a neat picture. My dad's ties were all a lighter tan colored. I wonder what the different color means, if anything.

Greg

thanks Greg for the compliment. The work ws done by a friend that lives in Australia and I think he did a superb job. As J stated this was worn pre 42 and this photo was taken in mid to early 41'

Mike

Nice Mike!

• 2 months later...

Here are pictures of two of three bothers who served in World War II. They are distant cousins of mine. First is Corporal V. L. Mitchell, 507th Parachute Inf., taken in 1944. I don't know anything about his service but from the fact he is wearing a Presidential Unit Citation, this must have been taken after the regiment fought in Normandy with the 82nd Airborne Division. Ultimately, it was assigned to the 17th Airborne Division and participated in the Battle Of The Bulge and made a combat jump into Germany as part of Operation Varsity.

Second is Felix M. Mitchell, Co. L. 393rd Infantry Regiment 99th Division. The back of the photo says it was taken July 12, 1945 in Germany. Although he is wearing Technician 4th Grade stripes, his notation on the back refers to himself as a PFC.

The third brother served in an Anti-Aircraft Artillery unit in the Pacific, I believe in Hawaii.

post-1761-1329406064.jpg

post-1761-1329406073.jpg

On the left is Lt. Garland T. Byrd of Reynolds, GA. He was the company commander of Co. B 163rd Engineer Battalion. He earned the Silver Star and Bronze Star for actions in France and later went on to be come a lawyer and politician, eventually serving as Lt. Governor of Georgia. I worked for him before his death in 1997. This picture was taken in Adamswiller, France December, 1944.

post-1761-1329411427.jpg

Robswashashore

My father, MSGT William B. Gould, with his buddies of the 8th Weather Squadron at Narsarsuaq Air Base (Bluie West 1) in Greenland 1944. Bluie West 1 was a major stopover for aircraft on their way to the ETO. Dad is the second from right, sitting.

post-12350-1329429534.jpg

Here's a photo of recruits at Camp Croft SC. They all signed the back of the photo with addresses. Found it in a junk shop in NH. They are 90% New England boys.

post-67191-1329881155.jpg

Here's a WWII vet taking a smoke break while on vacation in Hawaii ca. April 1946.

post-1963-1330109551.jpg

Wailuna, great shot of IKE, sharp, crystal clear, the photo is almost a candid one at that. We see his tie is Black, or is that dark "chocolate" color ? probiliy the dark OD, would not be the OD one, they didn't start to really be seen till around 1948.

...Gen. George C Marshall (3rd from right) in 1937 at the 4th Army Manuvers. I can't really make out his rank, but figure he was a 2 Star at that time...

Marshall was a Brigadier General in 1937. He commanded 5th Infantry Brigade (3rd Division), from Brigade headquarters at Vancouver Barracks, Washington, from October 27, 1936, until July 2, 1938. Fifth Infantry Brigade assembled with 3rd Division at Ft. Lewis to participate in Fourth Army maneuvers in August 1937, while 41st Division assembled its National Guard units from Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming at Camp Murray, Washington.

The general standing next to Marshall (second from right) looks like Brigadier General Alfred T. Smith, who commanded 3rd Division at the time. The general seated on the bench (left) is Brigadier Maurice Thompson, Adjutant General of the State of Washington. The Major General seated next to General Thompson might be the maneuver commander from Fourth Army. Major General George S. Simonds commanded Fourth Army at the time (but this general doesn't look like Simonds). If you can make out the SSI in this picture you will probably see 3rd and 41st Division patches on most of the standing generals. General Thompson wore Washington National Guard SSI and the general sitting next to him might be wearing Fourth Army SSI. What do you see?

Hello all,

This is my Great Uncle, Raymond Rock, somewhere I believe in Europe in '44 or 45. anyone recognize the building he is in front of?

and here he is standing in front of a statue with another friend. Strange looking statue, in my opinion.

Mark

post-22-0-70471000-1400630535.jpg

post-22-0-97259600-1400630537.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A 2nd Cav trooper, Sam Thorgesen, Stuart Tank Driver, 2nd Cavalry Group, 2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squad (Mechanized), Third Army, awarded Silver Star

post-34986-1331529064.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Left-handed Medical Corps captain with 151st Medical Battalion (Separate) at Camp McQuaide, Calif., ca. 1941 (note cross-draw holster with M1917 service revolver(?)).

post-1963-1332700136.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is my dad, 1LT Donald R. Wilson, with his F4U Corsair. The picture was taken in late August 1945 on the island of Peleliu while my father was assigned to VMF-122. The nose art is of "Miss Lace".

post-83683-1333661774.jpg