Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

General Apathy

Hi Fellow readers, regarding the seven portrait photographs I posted from #351 to #357 I was contacted by fellow forum member Wailuna with the following information, many thanks to Wailuna for this update. :thumbsup:

Interesting pictures you posted. Thought you might be interested to see this bit of info on the photographer, taken from an obituary (he died in 1999).

On Feb. 9th, Owen C. Stout died at age 86. He had been a resident

of Wernersville most of his life. For over 60 years he photographed

all that happened in western Berks, much of it using a large format

camera--often 4 by 5-inch form. If it happened west of Sinking Spring

between 1927 and 1987, chances are he took a picture of it. His

pictures were used frequently in the Reading Eagle. He maintained his

interest in photograpny until the day he died.

Cheers ( Lewis )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Removed from a falling apart scrapbook a photo of a group of Marine tankers with their machine guns on I believe Tarawa. Note their "regulation" uniforms. At lest one has his camo pants on.

I wonder if they souvenired the Japanese truck as well? Note the Japanese Navy gas mask, towel,

On the back is a US Navy censor stamp

post-5562-1253724530.jpg

• 2 months later...
WOW! Thanks! He was my dad's Company Commander at a CCC camp in Keosauqua Iowa. My father knew he had been captured and had suspected that he died on the Arisan Maru.

Hi,

Wow, the things I learn. I live about 35 miles from Keosauqua, and I never knew there was a CCC camp there.

Brian

marineamtracer

Just stopping by to add a few of my favorites. This first buch is from an album that I put back together from a GI in the 9th ID and all pics are captioned as taken in Normandy. These first two I couldn't get to come out very well. They are kind of fuzzy anyway. So the first is labled snipers nest and if you look you will see a lader built up the side of a tree. The second is labled landing field Normandy and if you look close at it you will see some of Rommels Asperagus.

post-5994-1262056865.jpg

post-5994-1262056883.jpg

marineamtracer

I really wish this had come out clear. When I have my scanner hooked up again I will get you guys a better image. This one obvioulsy shows the GI writting home but across his shelter half is actually a camo chute. And you can't see it at all here but there is a Kraut helmet hanging on a tree limb behind him....

post-5994-1262057084.jpg

marineamtracer

The classic ETO GI pose I think...sitting around a bombed out house playing cards on the floor. The guy with his back to us in the foreground is wearing his helmet liner not the whole pot.

post-5994-1262057236.jpg

marineamtracer

Two nice studio shots of a 71st ID GI. This is from another album I put back together several years ago. Some great shots in this one. The reversed negative is unusual but it seems like I see alot of them done this way to show the ribbon bars.

post-5994-1262057446.jpg

post-5994-1262057461.jpg

marineamtracer

Another shot from an album I rebuilt. This 42nd ID man was in Artillery. Tons of great pics in this album. There was another shot of he and his wife I could have posted but wow she was rough YOWIE!! Poor Guy!

post-5994-1262057734.jpg

This well-decorated Aviation Cadet was a former sergeant and B-17 radio operator-gunner, with 61 combat missions in the Southwest Pacific, before he began pilot training at San Antonio Aviation Cadet Center (link here).

post-1963-1262743197.jpg

These pictures are of a Staff Sergeant in the 10th Armored Division and his girlfriend or wife.
He appears to be Regular Army (cfr. ribbons on his Class A Jacket).

Promoted.

Colorized picture of his girlfriend or wife.

Something for "overseas"? B)

Erwin

post-22-0-34874400-1400629729.jpg

post-22-0-28380300-1400629732.jpg

post-22-0-19438900-1400629735.jpg

post-22-0-30174300-1400629737.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1263067884.jpg

Hi Erwin, great photo's you posted, I always look at this time capsule photo's and wonder about their lives, did he make it home, was she still waiting for him, did they stay together and have a good life, how did they age, and when did they pass.

So sad that they lived at such a time of trauma in the world. :unsure:

Cheers Lewis

Thanks for the reply ....... believe me, I wonder about these things too.

In this case, I tend to believe he did make it home, lived his life with her, saw the kid grow up, etc.

I sure hope he did.

Erwin