Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

Sturrman,

Nice picture...ya' done good. Since you posted an awesome 101st related picture here is one of my favorites...This is Major Richard Winters and Lieut. Harry Welsh HQ 2/506th taken at Kaprun Austria May 1945. Enjoy.

post-261-1168711116.jpg

Very nice! :) Who made this photo of you, or dont you know either?

The picture I showed has some very nice details...like the knuckleduster ww1 knife in a belt, drop down ropes, binoculars, folding stock M1 carabines...ect!

This is another favo of mine...a 2 star general a 4 star general and some MP's, somewhere in Bergtesgaden 1945.

(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

Sebas

Here are my grandfathers. My grandpa Coffman was in the 6th Infantry division 20th infantry regiment Co G. He was a Tech Sgt. He was wounded Feb 5th 1945 in Luzon and survived.

My grandpa Oravik was in the navy aboard the destroyer Uss Forrest and the assault transport Uss Lanier. I don't know all that much about his service except that he was a gunners mate. I guess he had a bad experience and that's why he didn't talk about it. My grandma told me that for a long time after the war he would have nightmares and wake up screaming. I know the Forrest was hit by a kamikaze so maybe it had something to do with that.

-Matt.

Guest squadleader

post-166-1169107742.jpg

Second LT David L. Briggs 1946 137th Infantry Regiment, 35 th Infantry Division. Graduated OCS 8 France 1945 Served with Company K and HQ 3rd Battalion S-3 NCO

Patrick O'Keefe - was with the 5th Armored Division
Here in Engeland in April-May 1944
German border in November 1944

Erwin
(originals in my collection)

post-22-0-96481000-1400624356.jpg

post-22-0-29618600-1400624359.jpg

Earl S. Peacock - 811th Tank Destroyer Battalion
This picture is supposedly taken on December 19, 1944 in Waldbillig (Luxembourg) where the Fire Direction Center was located.

Erwin
(original in my collection)

post-22-0-63599900-1400624403.jpg

My maternal grandfather, Martin J. Elle as a First Lieutenant. He served with the 17th Photo Recon Squadron, 4th Photo Group, 13th Air Force in the Pacific. They flew F-5s, the photo recon version of the P-38.

As a Major, freshly graduated from Command & General Staff College, he was on his way back when the war ended.

I'm not certain of the location of the color pics, but the black & white was taken on Guadalcanal.

Jeep_in_Color_2.jpg

Jeep_in_Color_1.jpg

Jeep_BW_1.jpg

This is one of my new favorite WWII photos.

On the left is Clifton A. Potts of Peck, Michigan, on the right is Junius W. Colbert of Norfolk, Virginia. Both are members of A Company, 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, 3rd Armored Division.

PottsColbert.jpg

Clifton Potts was KIA in Germany.

Father Pheney with US Add Cap. V. Walters:

bzph65jg.jpg

One detail...

Vernon A. Walters

Lieutenant General

vawalters-photo-02.jpg

His military career began when he was drafted into the Army in 1941. He was soon commissioned. During World War II, he served in North Africa and Europe.

In the immediate postwar years, he was an aide to General Mark Clark, the U.S. commander in Austria. At Clark's recommendation, General George Marshall, the Army chief of staff, moved him onto his personal staff. This led to his going to White House under President Harry S. Truman and, later, under Eisenhower.

General Walters had an uncanny ability to be present at large events. As an aide to Truman, he was the note-taker when the president fired Douglas MacArthur during the Korean War. He was in Tehran in 1953 when the CIA staged a coup in support of the shah of Iran and in Brazil when a group of generals staged a coup in 1964.

He also was involved in secret negotiations between the United States and North Vietnam. He once had the task of smuggling Henry A. Kissinger, then Nixon's national security adviser, into Paris. He did it by borrowing the plane of French President George Pompidou, an old friend.

In 1973, when the Palestine Liberation Organization killed two U.S. diplomats in Sudan, General Walters was ordered to make it clear to the PLO that the United States would not stand for such behavior. A meeting with PLO representatives was arranged at the palace of King Hassan of Morocco. Walters had known the king since World War II, when he gave him a ride in a U.S. tank.

a retired Army Lieutenant General, intelligence officer and diplomat who was a deputy director of the Central Intelligence Agency and ambassador to the United Nations, died February 10, 2002, at Good Samaritan Medical Center in West Palm Beach, Florida.

vawalters-100302-mrp.jpg

Font: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/vawalters.htm

Best regards,

Ricardo.

This is one of my new favorite WWII photos.

On the left is Clifton A. Potts of Peck, Michigan, on the right is Junius W. Colbert of Norfolk, Virginia. Both are members of A Company, 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, 3rd Armored Division.

Clifton Potts was KIA in Germany.

Photos like these are the reason I collect pictures. If you know the history behind them, they're a sober reminder of the human side of war, the friendships that are made and ended because of war.

Thank you for sharing this picture,

Adam

Here is my father, Sgt. Raymond Mohrlang, shortly before promotion to S/Sgt. He was squad leader for 3rd Squad, 3rd Platoon of Capt. Joe Dawson's Company G, 16th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. These photos were taken in Bridport, England in late winter or very early spring 1944, before they made the trip across the Channel and Omaha Beach. With the exception of two men, all of 3rd squad were veterans of Africa and Sicily campaigns.

Also, other shots of him and members of his squad.

Gary

post-84-1169607502.jpg

post-84-1169607520.jpg

post-84-1169607537.jpg

post-84-1169607553.jpg

This photo is of S/Sgt. Ed Tatara. Ed was Platoon Guide for 3rd Platoon and my dad's best friend. Towards the end of the war, Ed became 1st Sgt. of Company G. Among his awards are the CIB, Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Bronze Star Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster and numerous Purple Hearts. My dad told me that Ed was probably one of the bravest men he had ever known, usually throwing caution to the wind during combat. Ed was from Erie, PA and passed away a couple of years ago.

Second photo is of S/Sgt. Frank Greene and T/Sgt. Doug Ingram. Frank was killed before he could get off Omaha Beach. As of our last chat, Doug was still well and living in Texas.

post-84-1169608107.jpg

post-84-1169608178.jpg

This is my uncle Al Mohrlang, BM1 by wars end. He served the entire war on a sea-going tugboat in the PTO. When I was a kid, he used to let me look at his photo album of severly battle damaged warships his tug pulled and pushed around the Pacific. He was one of those uncle's you just couldn't help but love. He was a super guy and always the fun uncle to be around.

post-84-1169608718.jpg

My Uncle John Mohrlang. He was a PFC and .30 cal. watercooled machine gunner in Company H, the heavy weapons company of 2nd Bn., 8th Marines, 2nd Marine Division. He died of wounds at Betio, Tarawa Atoll on Nov. 20, 1943 and was buried at sea in the transport area three miles offshore on Nov. 21, 1943.

This photo was taken in Wellington, NZ in March 1943, after 8th Marines arrived there from Guadalcanal.

Gary

post-84-1169609102.jpg

His best friend and belt loader, PFC Bill Young. According to several friends of both Uncle John and Bill that I've talked to, told me Bill was one helluva boxer and represented 8th Marines in several matches while in New Zealand. Bill survived Guadalcanal and Tarawa, but was killed on Saipan by a mortar round.

Gary

post-84-1169609652.jpg