Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

Here is a picture of my friend Zoot Snyder Company A, 517th PIR. Picture was taken in Nice, fall 1944.

Zoot went all the way from Toccoa to the end of the war with the 517th.

710.jpg

• 1 month later...

My grandfather Marvin M. White on leave at home in Michigan.

3rd Armored division 83rd recon bn.

I have bunch of pictures I scanned a few years back of him on a M8 howitzer motor carriage I'll have to dig out sometime.

post-6395-1243238460.jpeg

post-5732-1243544885.jpg

My mothers cousin, James Olin Reeve, (from Kansas) of the 3rd Ranger Btn. Served in North Africa, Salerno, & Anzio. This photo was taken "on leave" in Naples, Italy in late November 1943. He survived the Cisterna operation (1/29/44) as he had been reassigned from "HQ 3rd Rangers" to the newly established "4415 Provisional Ranger Force" HQ while at Anzio. (The entireity of the 1st & 3rd were either killed or captured at Cisterna.) But luck can be short lived in war. He was killed by artillery fire on 2/14/44 near Netuno on the south flank of the Anzio perimeter. Col. William O. Darby the Ranger force comander was slightly wounded by artillery that same night. The provisional Ranger force (1st 3rd & 4th Btns / "Darbys Rangers") was officially disbanded on 2/16 with surviving Rangers (mostly 4 Btn, and Force HQ) reassigned to the 1st Special Service Brigade. (USA-Canada) or sent back to the US to train / join the 2nd Ranger Btn for the coming invasion of France. Jimmy is buried at the American Cemetery in Netuno. (Col. Darby, serving with the 10th Mountain division, would later be killed in the final week of the war, by artillery fire in northern Italy.) Gary Bachman

My father always said that he had to grow up in a hurry in the AAF. After his old pictures passed to me, I found a couple of loose snap shots that, to my eye, clearly illustrate what he was talking about.

After recently exchanging some emails with an offspring of his pilot, I had a couple of pictures of him as a kid charged with flying B-17's over occupied Europe. Although his experience was shorter than my father's at the time of the pictures, his experience was harrowing enough to have effected some noticeable changes in him also.

The cartoon is one that circulated widely during the eighties and nineties in the 8th AAFHS chapters.

post-3515-1243598785.jpg

• 2 months later...

Some of the pictures I bought from the vets son, wish he had the 152nd AAA A/B patch!!!! Got some neat hankies with the campaign and 152nd AAA, and the 11th A/B book and his patch.

post-4732-1249858908.jpg

You got a copy of his citation?

I dont have a hard copy, but I found a good bit of info on the U.S.S San Francisco website which is actually where I got this picture. Sadly, he was killed in a training accident shortly after the war. I have some other good pictures of him but I have yet to upload them to my computer.

I should also say that he is actually my great uncle (my grandma's brother) but we always refer to him as "Uncle Max in my family.

This is the information that I found...................

U.S.S. SAN FRANCISCO

SOUTH PACIFIC FORCE

OF THE UNITED STATES PACIFIC FLEET

HEADQUARTERS OF THE COMMANDER

In the name of the President of the United states, the Commander South Pacific area and South Pacific Force, takes pleasure in presenting the NAVY CROSS to

MAX M. ARCHIBEQUE, SEAMAN FIRST CLASS, 372 04 08, UNITED STATES NAVY

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

"For extraordinary heroism, while serving on board the U.S.S. SAN FRANCISCO, in the action against Japanese naval forces in the Solomon Islands area on November 12 and 13, 1942. After an enemy plane had crashed into the after machine gun platform and started a large fire, ARCHIBEQUE, with utter disregard for his own personal safety, ably assisted in leading a hose to the top of turret III, and although this turret was firing, he effectively fought the fire while facing the terrific blast. During the night action while under heavy and accurate enemy fire he gallantly assisted in leading a hose into the starboard hangar door in the face of terrific blast from turret III then firing to starboard. Largely as result of his heroic action the fire inside the hangar was extinguished with minimum damage. His performance of duty was in keeping with the highest traditions of the naval service.

W.F. HALSEY,

Admiral U.S. Navy

Temporary Citation

CERTIFIED TO BE A TRUE COPY:

J.C. WEEMS,

Ship's Clerk, U.S. Navy

Signed Feb. 13, 1943

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the NAVY CROSS to

MAX M. ARCHIBEQUE, SEAMAN FIRST CLASS, 372, 04 08, UNITED STATES NAVY

for service as set forth in the following

CITATION:

"For extraordinary heroism, while serving on board the U.S.S. SAN FRANCISCO, during action against enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands area on November 12 and 13, 1942. When a hostile plane crashed into the after machine gun platform and set up a raging blaze, ARCHIBEQUE, with alert presence of mind and courageous initiative, helped lead a fire hose to the top of Turret 3 where, although the turret was firing, he effectively fought the flames while facing a terrific blast. During the night action, still under heavy bombardment, he gallantly assisted in the fire inside with minimum damage. His conscientious devotion to duty and utter disregard of personal safety were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service."

For the President,

FRANK KNOX

Secretary of the the Navy

He was also a great athlete as well, having won the Golden Glove Championship for his weight class, as well as the State of Colorado Basketball Championship while in high school. He set several records while attending school in Dolores Colorado attending Dolores High School, graduating in 1937.

He was laid to rest in the Mt. Calvary Cemetery in Salt Lake City, Utah.

General Apathy

post-344-1250585264.jpg

Hi Members, I have seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by

' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. ', only one has a name pencilled on the rear.

Would be nice if we could add names to these guy's but probably an impossible task. So first up is the only named one ' William Fisher ', I thought at first that this was a reversed image as his collar dogs are on the wrong lapels, however there is a sleeve insignia on his left sleeve.

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1250585486.jpg

Hi Members, This is photo number two of seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by ' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. '

This officer has mounted his Chemical Corp insignia upside down on his lapels

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1250585620.jpg

Hi Members, This is photo number three of seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by ' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. '

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1250585687.jpg

Hi Members, This is photo number four of seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by ' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. '

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1250585939.jpg

Hi Members, This is photo number five of seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by ' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. '

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1250586001.jpg

Hi Members, This is photo number six of seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by ' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. '

USAAF wings on his collar and the earlier black neck tie

Cheers ( Lewis )

General Apathy

post-344-1250586190.jpg

Hi Members, This is photo number seven of seven portrait photos to add of unknown soldiers of WWII, possibly all processed by ' Owen Stout, photographer, Wenersville, PA. '

Cheers ( Lewis )