Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

I saw DVL's tag on the B-17 and it prompted me to get my Grandfather's photo of his crew and his B-17 scanned. He was in the 551st bombardment squadron, 385th bombardment group, 8th AF. He operated as a waist gunner and back-up tail gunner.

xdrvgn.jpg

Here is a picture of my uncle Joseph L Rigney(left) and his friend Richard Rayman(right) both of Co. I 36th Armored Inf Reg 3rd Armored Div you may have seen it before in the groups forum Joseph was kill in March of 45

327383143.jpg

There's a story that goes along with the note about Col. Frank R. Bagby in the roster posted above. According to Lt. Bales, the Team Leader, Bagby showed up at the last minute before takeoff and insisted on going along. This was not a career move, quite the opposite. He was attached to Eisenhower's staff at SHAEF and had been involved in the planning of the assault. He later said that he just HAD to see how it went. He couldn't bear not to go to where he was sending the troopers. They were expecting a great majority to be casualties so it took some nerve to go, for sure.

Bales was not at all pleased, but was outranked. After takeoff, the Colonel asked him how to rig up! He had never jumped! He jumped safely, but at some later point came to Bales under heavy fire and asked to be taken to the beach to get back to HQ, saying Eisenhower was going to kill him. Bales declined but sent another man with him and I guess Eisenhower let him live.

Much later, Bales was back at HQ working on some sort of experimental beacon equipment when he heard "Hey Bales!" It was Colonel Bagby, who then told him how it was that he came to be jumping with the team.

This tale is told 3rd hand, as I am writing what my wife, bail's daughter, remembers her Dad telling her.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

This was posted elsewhere, but hey! What the heck. The first is most likely the 1034 Guard Squadron...notice the KEEP OFF GRASS sign to the left. Enjoy.

Andrew

post-889-1232462767.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Three unidentified soldiers assigned to 82nd Infantry Division, about mid-1942, probably at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, before the division was redesignated and reorganized as an airborne division in August. The weapon is an M2HB .50 cal. machine gun on a pedestal mount.

post-1963-1233772911.jpg

Another colorized studio photo of Staff Sergeant Sidney Ayres, 747th Bombardment Squadron, 456th Bombardment Group (H)

15th Army Air Force. Sgt Ayres was a tail gunner on a B-24 that flew out of Cerignola, Italy.

Bummer. The Links to my Images are gone. AOL shut down its webpage server and I had to move all my files.

Here are my photos again.

Staff Sergeant Sidney Rivers Ayres, 747th Bombardment Squadron, 456th Bombardment Group (H), 15th Army Air Force, Cerignola, Italy. But this photo was taken in Tonapa, NV after he completed 24 missions as a B-24 tail gunner. Sid is still going strong.

Ayres01.jpg

A colorized studio photo of Private Cleaston Patterson, 339th Regiment, 85th Division, went MIA the first week of their first offensive. Declared KIA when the war ended 11 months later.

PatPatterson.jpg

A nice studio shot of my uncle Clyde V. Hill, Co. C, 119th Regiment, 30th Division. He was a replacement soldier who was seriously wounded by a German MG, but survived.

PvClydeHill.jpg

And one additional soldier....

PFC Warren G. Stichtenoth , Company C, 310th Engineer Battalion, 85th 'Custer' Division.

Stichtenoth.jpg

PFC Stichtenoth had a gift of drawing. He drew portraits of many of his friends and this is one of Rusty. After the war, he became a commericial artist.

StichtenothDwgRusty.jpg

Steve

Winfred Tolbert served his country twice before the end of WW2. He served with the Marines from 1937 to 1941 on the U.S.S. Texas and U.S.S. New York and traveled to Santo Domingo, Puerto Rico and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Here is his photo as a Marine.

MarineTolbert.jpg

On April 25, 1942, Winfred was inducted in the Army and served with the 310th Engineer Battalion, 85th Infantry Division.

On April 21, 1945, Winfred was killed in action at San Agata, Italy, just below Bologna. Here is his photo as an Army Engineer.

WinfredTolbert.jpg

Steve

Here is a picture of my uncle Joseph L Rigney(left) and his friend Richard Rayman(right) both of Co I 36th Armored Inf 3rd Armored Div was taken at Camp Polk In 1942. Joseph was KIA in Germany in March of 45

post-2521-1234242056.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Heya Karl! been a while.

Sadly all the color ones are defintely Stateside and all appear to be taken at lowery field. There are about 20 color transparencies and all are 4x6 inches, so a bit bigger than i am used to.. I think this fellow was involved with photography as there are a bunch of very good quality studio negatives in the grouping. Percentage of military are about 25% but made it worth the purchase

take care Karl.

Mike

Mike

Nice!

Are they all colour or just a few and are any from Berlin or was he stationed somewhere else?

Cheers

Karl

• 4 weeks later...

My two favorite subjects in one photo; US Army and German Shepherd dogs.

1st US Army GI with a German Shepherd Dog.
"Your pal Johnnie - Belgium - 1944".

Erwin

post-22-0-13555200-1400627467.jpg

Pictures of my wife's grandfather Charles T. BROUGHTON, Jr. We thought these were lost, but my M-I-L found them recently. He was a Lieutenant on the USS MONTOUR (APA-101) in 1945 as the Assistant Beach Master.

He served with the USNR from 1942-1965 with a final rank of Commander(T).

1942 ENSIGN

post-3661-1238268420.jpg

1944 LIEUTENANT

post-3661-1238268742.jpg

Nick

ItemCo16527

My grandfather, Technical Sergeant Albert Wiest, US Army Signal Corps, home at last. Photo taken on his parents' front porch in October 1945.

331qh50.jpg

My great uncle Lloyd Personette, home on leave sometime during the war.

4hphyv.jpg

Another great uncle, MM3 Eddie Personette, USN, taken sometime in 1945.

2h6xeh2.jpg

Lastly, my great uncle, Technical Sergeant (then Corporal) George Christel. Photo taken while he was home in New Jersey on leave sometime in 1942 while the 165th Infantry was on garrison duty in Hawaii. The baby he is holding is my great uncle Richard's son, Ronald.

wwiw6g.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

a unknown 1st Army Captain "Somehwere in Europe"

I can reach to see a Medical corps branch collar device but it's a bit fuzzy ...

post-3574-1239351161.jpg

Yancy Irwin

great thread guys! i especially like seeing pictures of relatives-here is my grandfather William Irwin,he served on the USS Chicago and the USS Bowditch during WWII

post-3084-1239543761.jpg

post-3084-1239543774.jpg