Show your WWII Soldiers Photographs

Ricardo

I found this 4" x 5" photo in a pile of photos at an antique mall a few years ago. It's captioned on the reverse:

Lt (jg) William H. Wishart

Taken In The Fleet - 1945

It's unusual to see nose art on Navy aircraft, but it appears Lt. Wishart had a lady painted on his aircraft as evidenced below his foot.

Gary

post-84-1169880221.jpg

post-84-1169880240.jpg

@ Tom Pearcy: NICE PICTURE w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Now look at what I bought on ebay last week :blink: A member of a Dutch forum also has one with almost the same picture as me, but from a different angle. Do you happen to know where this picture is taken?

germanyrk3.jpg

Sbas

This is an photograph taken on July 4th 1944 on Fort D'Homet somewhere nearby Cherbourg I supose. You can see soldiers from the 101st AB Division (which were helt POW by the Germans on Fort D'Homet) and (liberators?) soldiers from the 4th. Infantry Division.

I just love this photo!!

photograph0014thid101styz2.jpg

Bob

Great picture Bob!

Note the GI at the right. He has standard wool trousers and an M41 field jacket but he's wearing a jump helmet with jump boots.

Great picture Bob!

Note the GI at the right. He has standard wool trousers and an M41 field jacket but he's wearing a jump helmet with jump boots.

Well, the best part is that on the back of the photo all the names are written from the soldiers you see w00t.gif

Bob

autorifle,

That is an awesome photo....what a proud bunch guys, especially your grandfather.

Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us. thumbsup.gif

Greg

Guest KilroyIsHere

Just landed....Port Moresby, 1942

A small group shot......men of A/128th Infantry, 32nd Infantry Division. In the tent behind them, guarded by 2 MP's with Thompsons, was displayed Gen Yamashitas sword.

Dads dad, back home, November '45

Moms dad, 505th PIR, Ireland 1943.

Moms dad trying to get lucky..Sissone France May 45 ??????

Again, different lady......... :D

post-22-0-56192300-1400624953.jpg

post-22-0-97104500-1400624955.jpg

post-22-0-85193600-1400624958.jpg

post-22-0-82514500-1400624960.jpg

post-22-0-93996900-1400624963.jpg

post-22-0-35820700-1400624966.jpg

@ Tom Pearcy: NICE PICTURE w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

Now look at what I bought on ebay last week :blink: A member of a Dutch forum also has one with almost the same picture as me, but from a different angle. Do you happen to know where this picture is taken?

germanyrk3.jpg

Sbas

Sturmman, On the back of the photo of my father-in-law, it states that it is a bridge across the Saar river. According to a map of his trip across Europe, it looks like it might have been in the area of Hasseloch, Germany? Not sure. Here is a picture of the 286 Engineer Combat Battalion working on thet bridge.

post-244-1170698155.jpg

• 3 months later...

Dear All: I just wanted to add a photo or 2 to this topic. I collect AAF officers photos so if you have more please show them.

Tim W

post-303-1180300596.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather is third from the left in top row . He joined up in sept 44 at the age of 34. Was member of 7th armored division, troop D of 87th cavalry. He arrived in ETO in February 1945.

My grandfather is third from the left in top row . He joined up in sept 44 at the age of 34. Was member of 7th armored division, troop D of 87th cavalry. He arrived in ETO in February 1945.

it did not post earlier....post-967-1181603965.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know if this practice was tolerated

My Dad was in the 13th and 82nd and said they pretty much wore what they wanted to wear. He had officer's and enlisted overseas caps and until last year did not know the difference. He had coastal artillery collar tabs which I have found out was because they 153rd glider/artillery unit was made up from and old coastal artillery unit from Ft Fisher. They kept the collar tabs. After they got back form Europe they were palnning a massive AB attack on Japan and expected 90% loss of AB troops. My Dad was not concerned about dress uniforms but got a sack full of the new 30 round mags for his TSMG and a box of chin straps for the jump helmets.

13thAB glider artillery

post-498-1182689526.jpg

82nd AB with enlisted glider/parachute cap

post-498-1182689543.jpg

some of his stuff, I mean grouping

post-498-1182689951.jpg

Greg Sebring

copdoc,

Great pictures and interesting story. My dad was in the 319th Glider Field Artillery, 82nd Airborne. He rode in gliders during the war and became jump qualified in Berlin, after the war while on occupation duty. His reasoning for this was he had heard the 82nd was going to be committed to the Pacific and he did NOT want to make glider landings on an island...preferring to ride in on his own chute.

I have pictures of dad and some of his buddies wear pins on different parts of their uniforms...even wearing jump wings on his overseas cap.

Greg

post-118-1182694940.jpg

Great pictures and interesting story. My dad was in the 319th Glider Field Artillery, 82nd Airborne. He rode in gliders during the war and became jump qualified in Berlin, after the war while on occupation duty. His reasoning for this was he had heard the 82nd was going to be committed to the Pacific and he did NOT want to make glider landings on an island...preferring to ride in on his own chute.

I have pictures of dad and some of his buddies wear pins on different parts of their uniforms...even wearing jump wings on his overseas cap.

You always have nice Pics Greg. I have looked at your other posts. I quess if you had a 90% chance of getting killed being thrown out of an airplane into hell, who is going to tell you that you are out of uniform or you can't were a pin? My Dad was pulled out of the gliders and sent to jump school in England where he became liason to the French underground. He met some of them when he was drinking in a bar and they requested him.

Greg Sebring

...they were obviously a good judge of character and knew who could help them get their job done.

thumbsup.gif

...they were obviously a good judge of character and knew who could help them get their job done.

thumbsup.gif

:lol: Thanks Greg I'll tell him you said that. We thought until about a year ago they picked him because he spoke some high school French. About a year ago he told us the bar story. My Mom was a litlle upset because she knew that his contact was a woman. Dad said she killed more Germans than all the rest of us. her name was Michell(sp) and the group the represented were the French communist. My Dad was not too happy about the communist thing when he got assigned. I have tried to find information on the group but only found her name and the name of the group. Also of note he was given an 8th AAF uniform with captain bars to were at times. Paratroopers were not allowed into town. I just sent you and email.

Well since we are off topic (want more pics) and I don't want to get spanked, here is my Uncle who was in the Armor and sent to Japan. I am not sure which unit. I have a few of the patches somewhere.

post-498-1182698580.jpg

Here is a picture that I found on the net searching for one of my Dad's friends from the 13th AB 153 glider artillery. I think this might be him. Last contact was about 1947 when he sent my Dad a Chrismas card and a picture of them in the 82nd AB. His name is HP Myer and last address is 58 Bay St, Belmont Mass. I found a pic that may be him and tried to email his son/daughter but they do not accept emails on webshots. If anyone has any information on him my Dad would like to talk to him one more time if he is alive. His nickname was "Hot Poop" I have called the local police and even the older detectives had not heard of him so he probable moved years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

post-498-1182701588.jpg

I don't know why this will not show bu it can be downloaded. It is the address in his handwritting.

hpmyeraddress.bmp

craig johnson

OFFICIAL MARINE CORPS PHOTO

BY SGT E. H. NIERENBERG

PHOTO SEC. 1ST PROV MAR BRIG.

62133099-M.jpg

101st Airborne Medics

51910159-M.jpg

MARINES ON THE SANDS OF IWO JIMA

READERS DIGEST ILLUSTRATED STORY OF WORLD WAR 11

55477021-M.jpg

LC-USW33- 000454-ZC (Library of Congress)

51171251-M.jpg

43672783-M.jpg

Craig

My father at work..

post-1164-1183037211.jpg

Taken by my father in North Africa (Libya I think), yes, that is General Doolittle.

post-1164-1183037318.jpg

A quiet moment somewhere in Italy.

post-1164-1183037447.jpg

A really bad day for someone.

post-1164-1183037559.jpg

Dinner time

post-1164-1183037679.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some very nice photos guys! I Thought I would share a few from my collection. Hope you all enjoy my first post!

This was taken in North Africa.

Mike

post-1387-1185190627.jpg