Flying Tiger items

hawkdriver

Colonel Gilliam was a two tour pilot with the Flying Tigers and Colonel Chennalt. He came to speak at a dinner yesterday and these items were on display. amazing how many interesting Soldiers are still out there.

2iqep29.jpg

2nkp81z.jpg

Very cool...isn't it great to be able to meet these old warriors? Unfortunately, they are fast disappearing.

Disney artists Hank Porter and Roy Williams (Williams was the big "Mooseketeer" in the 1950s Mickey Mouse Club television show), designed the Flying Tiger insignia.

Porter was given a cloisonne and gold pin, as a token of appreciation, by Harry B. Price of China Defense Supplies Inc., the official Chinese representative in all matters relating to Lend-Lease. The organization had its offices in the Chinese embassy in Washington, D.C.

I also have copies of the correspondence between General Chennault, thanking Price for securing Flying Tiger banners and insignia, and the letters between Price and Porter. All of the letters are from April and June 1942.

This is the pin that was given to Porter:

blog_flying_tigers_pin.JPG

Thats great stuff, about a year ago I was working an event for a local university... well to make a long story short I was able to meet a Lt Col from the Tuskegee Airmen. He had a hat on and we spoke for a little. I was honored to shake his hand and to have his business card.