Army shoulder loops

pfrost

Hello,

My dad recently found these should loops. They are not U.S. Navy and since they have an Army button we believe they are in fact U.S. Army. However, I have been unable to find anyone who can tell me that they are in fact Army and/or what branch of the Army they represent. I suspect they date from the early 1900's. They were made by The Pettibone Co., Cincinnati, Ohio.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks

Patrick

post-1519-1289604915.jpeg

craig_pickrall

This is a shot in the dark without checking references but check to see if that leaf insignia is possibly Public Health Service.

A close up photo of the button would narrow it down as to what service would have worn this. An old Army style shoulder pad with a Naval type medical insignia :think:

Patrick-

These are really great! These type shoulder knots (some collectors call them shoulder "paddles") came to be around 1872 and pretty much went away when the new M1902 uniform was authorized.

The buttons appear to US Army Staff Officer buttons. The "branch" insignia are a real mystery to me. I've never seen these before. The gold leaf part does resemble a USN medical insignia. But those had a silver acorn, not a star.

My best guess would be, despite having Federal staff buttons, these are for some State Guard or Militia and the leaf is this state's own special "branch insignia." Possibly aide to a general???

I hope someone knows for sure, as I am very curious.

Kurt

Patrick-

These are really great! These type shoulder knots (some collectors call them shoulder "paddles") came to be around 1872 and pretty much went away when the new M1902 uniform was authorized.

The buttons appear to US Army Staff Officer buttons. The "branch" insignia are a real mystery to me. I've never seen these before. The gold leaf part does resemble a USN medical insignia. But those had a silver acorn, not a star.

My best guess would be, despite having Federal staff buttons, these are for some State Guard or Militia and the leaf is this state's own special "branch insignia." Possibly aide to a general???

I hope someone knows for sure, as I am very curious.

Kurt

Thanks for the help all. Still more to figure out, but I think the information helped.

Best

Patrick