Repro campaign hat's?

HoovieDude

Not real up on the repro side, so thought I would ask you guys here who are. Is there a maker or manufacturer for campaign hats? I have a friend who runs an online Cavalry site, and is looking for some to offer along with the traditional stetsons. Especially since the 11th ACR has began to wear them again, in lieu of the stetson for the special or ceremonial "purty hat days".

Thanks, Hoov :thumbsup:

Hoovie,

11 ACR wears brown Stetsons; neither black nor campaign hats. I've never been in the cav, so don't have a dog in the fight...when I asked why, though, they say that it's more historically correct.

My own 2 cents says that Stetson campaign hats is truly historically correct, but I'm not a cavalryman, nor do I get a vote in how they cling to their tradition!

Steve

Campaign hats are still used daily by police and ranger organizations along with drill instructors in the services. I know Stetson and Stratton still make them. I'm sure there are a ton of other manufacturers.

Tom

Steve, right you are. Brain fart moment on my end. :blink: Most have no issue with the brown stetson, as it is traditionally acceptable. What is a big issue among many is how traditions have been watered down by the PC... ahhhhh never mind. Will just get myself worked up. Anyway......

The original question remains concerning the campaign hats.

Not real up on the repro side, so thought I would ask you guys here who are. Is there a maker or manufacturer for campaign hats? I have a friend who runs an online Cavalry site, and is looking for some to offer along with the traditional stetsons. Especially since the 11th ACR has began to wear them again, in lieu of the stetson for the special or ceremonial "purty hat days".

Thanks, Hoov :thumbsup:

What price Glory has 1911 and 1930's style campaign hats.

Scott

Tom,

Right you are as well. But the friend is looking to compare prices, etc.. and if he can get repro cheaper he will. He is interested in them more for novelty items rather than everyday wear and quality, if that makes sense?

Have you given any thought to checking some of the 'Rough Rider' and 1st Vol. US Cav. reenactor sites? Seems like

the last time I checked there was a place in Texas that they were steering people to for the uniforms and gear.

This was late last year,if I remember right.

Apparently the price of campaign hats has sky rocketed. I bought mine from WWII Impressions and paid no more than $30 or $40, now they are listed for $120.

Here's some Google shopping results for "Montana Peak" campaign hats: http://www.google.com/search?q=campaign+ha...0fa48930cd2b7df

I also have an M1889 campaign hat that came from F. Burgess and Co. but they no longer appear to be in business. I paid less than $100 for that.

Try this place: http://www.eureka-arsenal.com/products.htm

Look for wool felt, it is always cheaper than fur felt.

Apparently the price of campaign hats has sky rocketed. I bought mine from WWII Impressions and paid no more than $30 or $40, now they are listed for $120.

Here's some Google shopping results for "Montana Peak" campaign hats: http://www.google.com/search?q=campaign+ha...0fa48930cd2b7df

I also have an M1889 campaign hat that came from F. Burgess and Co. but they no longer appear to be in business. I paid less than $100 for that.

Here is the one I was talking about from What Price Glory.

Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

US M1911 style Campaign Hat

With 5 row stitching. I have replicated the most commonly found style without lace chinstrap and with eyelets added for leather chinstrap.

3 Reviews

Our Price: US$60.00

Shipping?

I guess this is the hat we are actually talking about:

size0-army.mil-57360-2009-11-27-071151.jpg

That would be the M1889.

In regards to it being "more authentic" for a modern cavalry unit, the M1876 campaign hat was black and campaign/slouch hats have been worn by all branches since the 1860s...

I guess this is the hat we are actually talking about:

size0-army.mil-57360-2009-11-27-071151.jpg

That would be the M1889.

In regards to it being "more authentic" for a modern cavalry unit, the M1876 campaign hat was black and campaign/slouch hats have been worn by all branches since the 1860s...

What time period and theater are wanting it for?

Scott

Hoovie,

Wish I had a suggestion on your original question. I found an inexpensive ($25?) repro campaign hat (with the WW2 period thin brim, no stitching) at a place called Saigon Sam's in Jacksonville, NC about 5 years ago. Sadly, there are no maker marks inside it. Sounds like that'd be just what your bud is looking for.

Good luck!

Steve

We currently sell genuine Stratton campaign hats which are among the finest campaign hats available. They are made in the US and meet military specs for quality and durability. They are very thick felting.

Our old hats were not as thick as they are now.

We currently sell genuine Stratton campaign hats which are among the finest campaign hats available. They are made in the US and meet military specs for quality and durability. They are very thick felting.

Our old hats were not as thick as they are now.

Ah, I understand. Well I do love the hat I did purchase from you though!

I'm looking for a Burgess M1889 (snow flake vents, size 7) that isn't gold plated.

for those interested, I have a number of WWI and post War campaign hats (string hat ties to leather chin straps secured to hat cords), some with mfg. tag still intact. Some are stripped down ready for repairs to be started, others complete with desireable cordage. I'm in the process of prepping for a major move, so some trading, or outright selling may benefit you readers... I'll post some pictures directly, or email me if interested.

Tom

I'm looking for a Burgess M1889 (snow flake vents, size 7) that isn't gold plated.

for those interested, I have a number of WWI and post War campaign hats (string hat ties to leather chin straps secured to hat cords), some with mfg. tag still intact. Some are stripped down ready for repairs to be started, others complete with desireable cordage. I'm in the process of prepping for a major move, so some trading, or outright selling may benefit you readers... I'll post some pictures directly, or email me if interested.

Tom

Burgess is no longer around. For the 89 check S&S firearms also.

Scott

Grizzly Adams

You might check these folks out. Quality is good and price is right. Scroll down for their "Trooper" which is correct for pre -WWI. :thumbsup: