Vietnam War Support Items

kriegsmodell

In a recent thread posted here there was some discussion regarding Vietnam Veterans Against the War. Member Noman asked if anyone had any "Vietnam Veterans For the War" items and Member Howard Kelly posted a very nice Bomb Hanoi patch. See link below for the original thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...against,and,war

This prompted me to dig out my small collection of Support or Pro-Vietnam War items that are posted below. Thoughts, comments or your items posted appreciated ......

post-3151-1289502009.jpg

Starting out with perhaps the ultimate response to the Peace Sign necklace. Yep, the WAR sign. These were a favorite of SOG Recon men and others serving in-country. The smaller size version shows up from time to time. The larger brass versions are really hard to find.

Here are some variations on the theme that member Howard Kelly posted on the aformentioned thread. The B-52 Bomber in a design to mimic the peace sign with Bomb Hanoi or other motto.

post-3151-1289502286.jpg

Some additional buttons; these are a little on the aggressive side toward the enemy. The "Napalm Sticks to Hippies" is a rare pin to locate. Another that is not happy with "Hanoi Jane" Fonda .....

post-3151-1289502597.jpg

More of a varied nature. All The Way with LBJ and a mushroom cloud along with a Bonds Buy Bombs. The We Shall Over Kill plays on one of the contemporary mottos of civil rights movement. And the classic Better Dead than Red.

post-3151-1289502993.jpg

These are of a more traditional nature in the Support our Troops and/or Victory themes.

post-3151-1289503432.jpg

The example at bottom right with the stylized X over the Soviet hammer and sickle is a scarce button.

Last ones - A Special Forces themed pin at top along with a Tell it to Hanoi as a play on the popular Tell it to Washington. I have never been sure if the green "Vietnam Love it or Leave it" button was supporting or against the war. To me it could be taken either way. It is not an easy button to locate.

post-3151-1289503878.jpg

Would love to see similar items from our members!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

USAFnav - Both of the WAR pendants are consistent with those made in SEA during the Vietnam period. I do not have information on where they were made although if someone here can provide, that would be great. Might have been Vietnam; just as easily could have been made in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan or even on Okinawa. There are several period photographs in Hardy and Tucker's SOG books of Recon men wearing both styles of pendants. Both versions are hard to locate but I've probably encountered 3 or 4 of the smaller ones for each of the larger style. Hope this helps ....

I knew an officer who had been attached to/advising the Thai special forces and he wore a pendant I liked.

It was in the shape of a fragmentation grenade and had the words "F**K PEACE" in stylized lettering similar to the "WAR" pendants above. Supposedly it was solid gold. I've never seen another one like it.

I hate to say this, but as I recall the "All the Way with LBJ" and the mushroom cloud was not a "pro-war" item. It was a protest item expressing the view that LBJ was so dangerous he would lead us into a nuclear war.

Ironically, Johnson used the same tactic to beat Barry Goldwater, with the classic "daisy girl" political ad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_(television_commercial)

As for the "Vietnam, Love it or Leave It", I'm not sure but I would tend to think this was a mocking and satirical response to the conservative "America, Love it or Leave It" slogan. The point being expressed would be that unquestioned patriotism led to questionable foreign wars.

I believe I had one of those "Bomb It" black and white buttons... wore it in high school.

I knew an officer who had been attached to/advising the Thai special forces and he wore a pendant I liked.

It was in the shape of a fragmentation grenade and had the words "F**K PEACE" in stylized lettering similar to the "WAR" pendants above. Supposedly it was solid gold. I've never seen another one like it.

I saw one of those pendants a year or so ago on eBay. The seller also stated that it was made of solid gold. I wish I would have saved a photo of it. It was certainly interesting .....

I hate to say this, but as I recall the "All the Way with LBJ" and the mushroom cloud was not a "pro-war" item. It was a protest item expressing the view that LBJ was so dangerous he would lead us into a nuclear war.

As for the "Vietnam, Love it or Leave It", I'm not sure but I would tend to think this was a mocking and satirical response to the conservative "America, Love it or Leave It" slogan. The point being expressed would be that unquestioned patriotism led to questionable foreign wars.

Thanks Gil for the clarification. I guess I can throw those two into the "Anti-War" box! Interesting to put these items into their proper historical context. Time fades the meaning ......

• 4 months later...

WOOW :w00t: How could I miss this thread. Nice stuff gents :thumbsup:

Love your anti hippie/peace/Hanoi collection kriegsmodell :w00t:

Regards// Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice!! I wore the smaller "WAR" pendant. still have it somewhere... There is also a photo of one being worn innthe book "NAM, the Vietnam Experience 1965-75" by Tim Page and John Pimlott, on page 467. Thanks for posting....

Thanks for sharing this, it's one of the coolest threads I've seen lately! It's easy to forget that there were plenty of people who actually supported the troops/war during Vietnam.

• 1 year later...