Check out these Jump Wings

Here's a shot of Roy Barger, postwar in Germany with his girlfriend.

In the actual photo, you can see the star mounted higher up on the shroud of his jump wings. However, not sure if you can see the detail in the photo posted here :lol:

post-60-1188041688.jpg

post-60-1188041720.jpg

101combatvet

I think that it is very possible that it is the same wing that you posted earlier.... but the picture is "post war" unless of course the Fräulein is a german spy. :lol: It is also possible that your wing may have been modified from a straight pin to a clutchback.

Here's a shot of Roy Barger, postwar in Germany with his girlfriend.

In the actual photo, you can see the star mounted higher up on the shroud of his jump wings. However, not sure if you can see the detail in the photo posted here :lol:

post-60-1188041688.jpg

post-60-1188041720.jpg

Hey, unless we have the original wrapping that the jumpwings came in or know definitively when American Emblem Company used that hallmark (which is possible), we will never know for sure!

Mr Barger had an interesting wartime career. He very quickly became a Sergeant, promoted to a Flight Warrant Officer in the Rigger Section of the 508th, was jump qualified, jumped into Normandy (not sure about other jumps), was captured briefly for two-three weeks or so before he escaped or the end of the war came (don't know which) and stayed in Germany well into 1946 with the 508th. In 1945 or 1946, his rank was changed to sergeant first class when they apparently did away with the warrant officer classification for his position. He later switched to the AirForce where he completed 20 years or more.

I have his photograph album with over 400 photographs that date from 1942 from his time at Army posts at Blanding and Benning to Scotland(?), England, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany and then some early '50's photos from where he served in Japan.

Thanks!

Kim

101combatvet

A E Co. used that hallmark during and after WW2. If you look at the back of your wing you will notice the pins are off center.... this may indicate that it was at one time a straight pin wing.

A E Co. used that hallmark during and after WW2. If you look at the back of your wing you will notice the pins are off center.... this may indicate that it was at one time a straight pin wing.

That is a very valid point and not the first time I have seen WWII pin backed wings altered to clutch back wings for post war use.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for looking him up. I had not intended to imply he was with the Reg HQ Co. but I can see how it came out that way.

Cheers

Gary

Gary it would have to be Joigny in 1945. The 101st did not get there until late summer/fall of 1945. They were in Mourmelon for a brief period (about three weeks) when they were dispatched for Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge). It is possible, but highly unlikely that he went on leave while at Mourmelon as passes were quite scarce and a majority of those who did receive them tended to head to Paris (transportation was orchestrated by the Division).

I must say that I have obtained close to 3 dozen 506th Veteran obtained jump wings and all are pin-backs. The only clutch back Veteran obtained wing I received was from a 3 & HQ/506th man who stayed in and made Senior parachutist and he picked these up post war. I also have his WWII wing with one combat star. As for arrowheads & combat stars, yes they were used by the men in the 101st (and yes I know 82nd but this is not my cup of tea). There were no regulations prohibiting them but there use was not as wide spread as one may think (and certainly not as prevalent as one sees offered for sale these days). I will try to post some pics of ID'd direct Veteran obtained wings this weekend if it will help.

By the way Gary very nice picture and looking at it again it has to be 1945. The white shroud boot laces are the give away. Also, I have your man Lou Verive (ASN XXXX024X) as being in HQ 3/506th (3rd Battalion Headquarters Company of the 506th and not Regimental Headquarters Company). I hope this helps.

Currahee!

Jake Powers

• 2 weeks later...

Whoops.... looking though my wings and I found a clutch back private purchase jump wing that is WW2 period. I purchased directly from the vet and now remember asking him about it.... comes with a modified parachute oval also. The wing is pot metal with a chrome finish, pins are rather long and have the small round base where it attachs to the back of the wing. :rolleyes: I have never seen another like it.

Intresting.... clutch backs go back to I think the 30's but I have never seen proof of an actual jump wing that had them during the war. I think that they could have been special ordered or modified. I have several that were modified during the war and during the post war period these started out as straight pin wings. The earliest clutch back jump wing I have was probably purchased in 1946-47... got that from the vet. So if you have proof otherwise I'd like to see it.

AE Co went out of business just after WWII. I would have to dig around, but I am pretty sure it ceased to exist by 1948 or so. In general, AE Co marked insignia is considered to be WWII vintage only. That is one reason why they used to get a higher premium by collectors...no guess work as to the vintage of the item (as opposed to say NS Meyers).

Patrick

I would have to agree that CB wings were produced during WW2. I recently purchased an early group that hasn't seen the light of day since the end of the war and it had a pair of CB wings in it, and I also have a 551st group that has CB wings.