Help identify rifles...

Here are a couple of photos from my Mars Task Force album showing men carrying two different "non-standard" rifles. The second has the appearance of a shotgun, but the long thin barrel suggests it too is a rifle. Any ideas as to the makes and models?

post-211-1289353153.jpg

post-211-1289353180.jpg

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Maybe a sporterized arisaka??The finger groove in the forearm looks similiar to one on the Arisakas.The shot gun maybe a Browning or the Remington that looks like the Browning automatic.Cant recall the model number.Wondering if these were Kachin weapons.Just saw a program on Wingates'Chins and one was carring an auto shotgun with a sling.Gave a real close shot of the man and weapon and it was definately a auto shotgun.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

The Kachin/Jingpaw were given shotguns as awards for meritorious service when the war ended, and they had had a fair number while operational. One reason was for them to hunt birds and small animals to EAT and another was to stand night guard against TIGERs.

Just my opinion, but the Rifle could be a cut down '03 like the Bushmaster mod in Panama but a bit more finessed with lightening the Stock and a full length barrel. I cant see a G.I. carrying an Arisaka and having to depend on captured Ammo when everyone else in his platoon is using .30 Plus the sound difference attracting other GI's to fire on you.

The rifle the man is holding has some characteristics that would lead me to think it might be a M1917 rifle with the stock cut and handguards gone.There is no rear barrel sight visible and the back of the rifle above the mans hands looks to have a "hump" where the rear sight ears would be.I thought possibly an M1903A3 but the stock wouldn't have those grasping grooves in the forend.Also if you look at the shadow of the barrel on the one fellows pants it appears to be have the front sight guard like a M1917.A lot of M1917 rifles were in that theatre shipped over to re-equip Nationalist Chinese units.It wouldn't be too out of place to see one.

The rifle the man is holding has some characteristics that would lead me to think it might be a M1917 rifle with the stock cut and handguards gone.There is no rear barrel sight visible and the back of the rifle above the mans hands looks to have a "hump" where the rear sight ears would be.I thought possibly an M1903A3 but the stock wouldn't have those grasping grooves in the forend.Also if you look at the shadow of the barrel on the one fellows pants it appears to be have the front sight guard like a M1917.A lot of M1917 rifles were in that theatre shipped over to re-equip Nationalist Chinese units.It wouldn't be too out of place to see one.

I had also thought that to it possibly a 17.The swell in the stock in front of the trigger guard is similiar to a M1917.Since these guys are posing with captured flags I also wondered if they had borrowed the rifle from one of the Chidits???

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.