Glider assault Wing Qualifications

OK, folks, I have a question that has been bothering me for several months. Some years back I acquired a neat 101st Ike jacket with bullion glider wings and a star. I have always assumed that this meant the wearer made 2 air assaults, presumably Normandy and Market-Garden. It also has 327th DI's. Recent reading tells me that the 327th came ashore at Normandy via boats since there were insufficient planes and gliders available.

I also have the uniform of the former chief of staff of the 1st Allied Airborne Army which displays glider wings, but I cannot find any written evidence that he actually made a glider assault. (The same badge appears in all of his photos too.)

Now, I have read that there was extensive training done for glider riders. This apparently included loading and tying down of cargo, emergency procedures, etc.

Was the badge awarded to those who completed the training, which probably included practice landings without making a combat assault? I have heard that the badge was not awarded until the training was completed AND the assault was made. Is this correct? If so, How did the owner of my one Ike get his with a star if he didn't land at Normandy by glider? How did the general get the badge without the assault?

I know the star was added to jump wings for combat assaults. Was it also done to glider wings? Does the star on the glider wing mean one or two assaults?

HELLLLLLP! I am confused!

G

Recent reading tells me that the 327th came ashore at Normandy via boats since there were insufficient planes and gliders available.

Not entire. Only the 2nd Battalion.

IIRC< teh glider wings were a qualification badge, just like the jump wings. Glider-riders took some pretty intense training to learn how to crash...I mean, "make a glider assault." And just like jump wings, you didn't need to acutally jump into combat to be eligible to wear them, only that you completed the course successfully; stars were added for combat jumps/assaults.

IIRC

Am I not correct when I say that parachutist wings with stars are far more common than glider wings with stars? I can't recall seeing many, if any -- that's why I am enamores with the bullion one I have with the star.

Thanx guys. Any more comments?

G

101combatvet

Two ways to get the glider badge during WW2. Go to the school or training which could consist of one day in anticipation of an actual glider assualt to maybe as much as several weeks in the case of the training conducted in the states for the Glider units. This also consided of one or more glider landings. Or do an actual glider assualt in to combat. Stars on wings designate the number of combat glider assualts made.... but not all soldiers choice to drill there wings. I do have several in my collection.... and I would say they are more difficult to find but don't quite have the appeal as jump wings with stars.

OK, folks, I have a question that has been bothering me for several months. Some years back I acquired a neat 101st Ike jacket with bullion glider wings and a star. I have always assumed that this meant the wearer made 2 air assaults, presumably Normandy and Market-Garden. It also has 327th DI's. Recent reading tells me that the 327th came ashore at Normandy via boats since there were insufficient planes and gliders available.

I also have the uniform of the former chief of staff of the 1st Allied Airborne Army which displays glider wings, but I cannot find any written evidence that he actually made a glider assault. (The same badge appears in all of his photos too.)

Now, I have read that there was extensive training done for glider riders. This apparently included loading and tying down of cargo, emergency procedures, etc.

Was the badge awarded to those who completed the training, which probably included practice landings without making a combat assault? I have heard that the badge was not awarded until the training was completed AND the assault was made. Is this correct? If so, How did the owner of my one Ike get his with a star if he didn't land at Normandy by glider? How did the general get the badge without the assault?

I know the star was added to jump wings for combat assaults. Was it also done to glider wings? Does the star on the glider wing mean one or two assaults?

HELLLLLLP! I am confused!

G