Let's see your Black/African-American Related Militaria

Collector5516

Here are some DUI's a acquired at the Grand Island Gun Show some months ago from our own B&B Militaria. They are late WW2 or post war pin backs marked AJ Dunder Wash DC sterling. 369th Infantry Regiment Colored of the 93rd ID. Served in the pacific theater.

post-736-1290465841.jpg

And, since the KW began 50 years ago this year, don't believe everything U read about the armed forces being desegegrated by Pres Harry Truman. The 2nd Ranger Inf Co (Abn) was a segregated unit which saw combat in Korea, and even made a combat jump during it's short lifespan. They were attached to the 7th iD, and would have worn that SSI under this Japanese-made scroll.

post-622-1290465923.jpg

There were 3 black tank battalions in WW II - the 758th, 761st, and 784th. My research so far has determined that the 784th wore the plain armor forces (triangle) SSI w/ no numbers. The 758th and 761st had SSI with numbers.

post-622-1290466204.jpg

post-622-1290466229.jpg

These DUI's are also from the post war era. They light blue fielded ones are pin back Meyer marked. The other is marked sterling it is also pin back. They are for the 364th Infantry Regiment Colored. They were a separate regiment in Alaska and Adak Island in WW2.

post-736-1290466809.jpg

A couple of discharged G.I.s headed home.

post-1963-1290496826.jpg

It looks like the S/Sgt. is wearing the Mediterranean Theater of Operations SSI on his left shoulder, and maybe a 758th Tank Battalion (Light) SSI on his right shoulder. No sign of SSI on the Tec. 5.

This might not count as a relic, but it is a memory. I had the honor of meeting a WW1 veteran of HQ Co., 372d Infantry in the late 1980's.

He wasn't in real good shape, but told me a few of his favorite stories. He and and his brother had both been in the 9th Ohio Seperate Battalion from the Mexican Border through WW1. Relic wise, all he really had was his victory medal, dogtags, and a key to the city that he lived in. He kept them in a drawer beside his bed......he was bed-ridden at the time.

dogfacedsoldier

Of all of the black items I've had in my collection these are about the last remaining items. Unidentified black G.I. in a partiotic frame, plus his insignia. 181st inf., Inf. and US/181 discs. This unit was later converted to a QM unit. I also have his D.I.'s from the QM unit.

Jon

post-3832-1290534564.jpg

post-3832-1290534598.jpg

post-3832-1290534627.jpg

There were 3 black tank battalions in WW II - the 758th, 761st, and 784th. My research so far has determined that the 784th wore the plain armor forces (triangle) SSI w/ no numbers. The 758th and 761st had SSI with numbers.

Thought this is a good place to show an item I just started to research. 758th marbel plaque from Italy in 1945. I like the way it has the Fifth army, the 758th's DI and their patch all in the design. I covered the soldier's name until I learn more about it. It is not quite 4 inches by 6 inches and about half an inch thick. Anyone with a unit listing please contact me.

post-2599-1291567770.jpg