Vietnam Combined Action Program patch

Bob Hudson

Found this in a thrift store: it is a nice wool/poly blend fleecy jacket with what I assume are modern day patches made in Asia, but frankly I have no idea and am hoping some can shed some light. I included some closeups of the edge of the patches (as good as I could get on something sewn down tight).

namcoat1.jpg

namcoat2.jpg

namcoat4.jpg

namcoat4a.jpg

namcoat3.jpg

namcoat5.jpg

Your instincts are correct... the patches are all post war.

However it is still a neat item. I have no idea what to price it but I would like to think someone out there is interested in veteran's items.

Your instincts are correct... the patches are all post war.

However it is still a neat item. I have no idea what to price it but I would like to think someone out there is interested in veteran's items.

They are nicely-made patches and I have to say that coat is cozy: I'd thought it was polyfleece, and was quite surprised to see it's 70% wool.

I figure Mr Vintage Productions could look at the patch photos and tell me exactly where that embroidery machine is located in Asia :)

So, any ideas on who'se making these CAP patches? I couldn't find any vendors.

Kent Spaulding out of Alpine Texas(K&S BOOKS) use to offer a variety of remade vietnam patches.Many were machine made in Thailand for him.

RD

Kent Spaulding out of Alpine Texas(K&S BOOKS) use to offer a variety of remade vietnam patches.Many were machine made in Thailand for him.

RD

Thanks - and Bob Chatt said these used to be seen in the 80's and 90's. I guess you can't call them reproductions since the Marines did not wear patches, but as commemorative pieces they are actually kind of cool, at least that CAP patch is. I live near Camp Pendleton and I imagine some Vietnam vet had this coat put together for him. I did some checking and it appears that coat is an 80's style based on its use of viscose rayon.

Ken had a catalog out in the 80s and 90s.I met him personally in Texas at the Houston show in 1984.I lived in Galveston and seen him at the big Astro hall shows.The CAP patch looks real familiar.I have seen it worn on a jungle jacket pocket.Dont recall where but it was period.

RD

Ken had a catalog out in the 80s and 90s.I met him personally in Texas at the Houston show in 1984.I lived in Galveston and seen him at the big Astro hall shows.The CAP patch looks real familiar.I have seen it worn on a jungle jacket pocket.Dont recall where but it was period.

RD

I looked around online and found some CAP patches currently for sale but none like this one with the gold eagle and trim, and accents on the Vietnamese words:

cap4.jpg

There is also this style available currently:

cap1.jpg

I might be WAY off base, but I always assumed the Combined Action Program, Platoons, and Companies, were all the same basic things. So I will try to share some items with you guys.

I also have a Combined Action Program beercan DI, but can't put my hands on right now.

Here is a period patch, very similar in design to the repro posted.

post-2063-1289149658.jpg

the last sentence on the last photo was a little cut off, but you should get the point. Here is the rest of the history I have.

Really enjoyed looking at the coat, and I hope to see more CAP/CAC stuff. It seems to be pretty elusive.

post-2063-1289150125.jpg