USMC Quantico Shooting Medals from 1950's

Kman1752

I recently purchased the 7 USMC Quantico Shooting medals, all are maker marked Blackinton and in original boxes. Anyone know anything about these? How many were given out? Are they scarce? Any idea on value? (They are not for sale, just curious). All are dated 1958.

post-10061-1289006052.jpg

post-10061-1289006397.jpg

post-10061-1289006466.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
So noone knows anything????????

I seem to recall, Leatherneck Magazine underwrote the costs of these medals and the competition, but went away about the time VN got underway... but not certain, what I seem to recall. :think:

So noone knows anything????????

There is not a lot out there about these Marine Corps shooting competitions. Forum member Brig collects these and has posted many of them at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=41175 but I have yet to find any definitive info about the nature of these competitions, such as who participates? I believe these are called "Rifle and Pistol Intramural Matches," but don't quote me on that.

Here's a medal I recently found for a 1st Marine Division competition from the Korean War era:

1stDivShoot1.jpg

1stDivShoot2.jpg

As for values.... well I've looked around and haven't found much info about sales of these. I saw one listed somewhere for $65, but something made me think that the one I show here could sell for $35 and make me and he buyer very happy. But, I don't think these sell often enough for there to be any sort well-defined values (although maybe Brig will tell us he paid the exact same price for each of his :) ).

In addition to the medals for on-base events, I have come across civilian shooting match medals in the groupings of Marines. Here's an example of one such medal along with a photo of his official orders to participate in the 1957 National Rifle Matches:

shoot1.jpg

rifle_orders.jpg

You really could have quite a collection just of things related to Marines in officially-sanctioned shooting matches.

Here's a 1950's Marine Corps rifle shooting team and a letter one of their members wrote about the 1957 nationals:

rifle_team.jpg

rifle_letter1.jpg

They are very cool pieces

• 4 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I pick up every one I can possibly grab, however ebay has been unusually quiet lately in regards to Blackintons. As of tonights count I have 121 different medals. I will also be merging another forum members collections with mine hopefully in the coming months but if you know anyone who has some and wants to part with them, I will always buy them.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I have a decent little selection of Marine Corps qualification badges and have been working on a display for the Marine Corps competitive shooting badges. You can see some of my stuff here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229926-usmc-collection/ however I haven't posted updated shots of a lot of my stuff because I don't have a camera or a smartphone. Hopefully will update the shooting badges soon. Let me know what you think!

• 3 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here are some (attempted) close up shots of the group.. It's pretty cloudy out today so don't have the best lighting.. Someday when I have a few hours I will photograph each individual medal.
post-133515-0-40996300-1446729172.jpg