Latest M1 Helmet - Name and Rank Painted

LoadedColt45

Just got this one home today. Not exactly sure of what it is yet but the price was right so I grabbed it.

The owners first initial and last four of his serial number are placed on the inside of the shell in a couple places so it could be a good research project.

The net is a handmade type, liner is an earlier type Westinghouse with unpainted washers. Pictures tell the rest...

100_4588.jpg

100_4589.jpg

100_4590.jpg

100_4591.jpg

100_4592.jpg

100_4593.jpg

100_4594.jpg

100_4595.jpg

100_4596.jpg

100_4597.jpg

I like the liner but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say someone found a nice liner and tried to match up a helmet to it? Sorry to rain on your parade but then again that's just MY opinion. Lets see what others have to say.

I like the liner but if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say someone found a nice liner and tried to match up a helmet to it? Sorry to rain on your parade but then again that's just MY opinion. Lets see what others have to say.

Yeah, I got your message about that...

I really do believe that if someone to were take the time to produce a fake, they would have done a better job. The blue band around the shell isn't exactly perfect. Also, considering the source of this helmet and what was paid for it...it just doesn't add up. BUT...who knows...?

If both the shell and liner were indeed painted by the same person, he obviously didn't have access to a stencil like he might have when the liner was painted... I can tell that the paint on the shell has been there for a while. It is definately aged and is worn in places and the wear does not look artificial.

I guess I'll wait for some others to chime in with their opinions...

Interesting looking helmet. I'm not sure how I feel about this one though. Weird as this sounds,and has nothing concrete to add, but that blue band reminds me of the blue pool stick chalks though. Is that a wet spot on the side of the band, with what looks like a letter "p"? Almost reminds me of acrylic paint and how it will spot when wet after drying sometimes?

Of course, hard to tell with the photos sometimes and I'm just thinking out loud. I do like the looks of the net though, and looking forward to more thoughts. Still a nice looking lid.

The net does look nice, i would suggest taking some nice pics in outdoor light, i think the flash might be a bit too harsh, that way it will look its true colors and be better to get a look at it that way and easier to evaluate....also some closeups of the white paint to show any age cracking etc.....mike

i have a few concerns with this helmet, I will spare the comments about the paint because that could be a flash issue, however the fact that this is painted up as an officer's helmet with last name beginning with H, however the laundry numbers are clearly enlisted with last name beginning with H. Laundry numbers for enlisted soldiers use 4 numbers, while officer's serial numbers were short and thus the whole thing was used. That is just what I have found in my research.

Just my personal opinion,but the white paint looks very fresh,and I believe I can see the pencil outline of the capt rank,which does not appear to line up correctly,the blue looks older and a bit more washed out...so maybe a lot older.

But apart these little points,looks really cool :thumbsup:

i have a few concerns with this helmet, I will spare the comments about the paint because that could be a flash issue, however the fact that this is painted up as an officer's helmet with last name beginning with H, however the laundry numbers are clearly enlisted with last name beginning with H. Laundry numbers for enlisted soldiers use 4 numbers, while officer's serial numbers were short and thus the whole thing was used. That is just what I have found in my research.

I've got two items from officers who started out as enlisted. There initial enlistment numbers on the uniforms give no indication of this but the records show they both became officers.

I just got a stenciled liner in this past week as well. Weird how things always show up in numbers. When I get back I'll post a picture of it.

I concur with what others said here, I think the flash brightens the lettering and rank so much so that it makes it impossible to determine if it is new paint or just the flash. As it stands in the photo's, it looks new. Outdoor photos with no flash and not in direct sunlight would be best.