any opinions on real or fake?

TLeo

Airborne-Hunter

It looks fine to me, but I am by far no expert on squadron patches :thumbsup: That kind of backing is usually called cheese cloth. I can't be of much help for squadron patches, but I hope this helps ABN :thumbsup:

Original-American embroidered on wool-here is a better picture of the "cheese cloth" backing. The example you question is heavily used and soiled, obviously. Reference http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=28997 post#239 for a crisp, clean example.

post-3673-1289059098.jpg

thanks for the better photo of the backing. I was trying to figure out if it was that type and just really soiled. All I had to go on was a photo and it was hard for me to decide. :thumbsup:

thanks for the better photo of the backing. I was trying to figure out if it was that type and just really soiled. All I had to go on was a photo and it was hard for me to decide. :thumbsup:

Saw this one on Ebay. Patch is 100% real. It's just heavily faded, has a small repair and looks as though it's been worn and wet. Heavily used cheesecloth looks like that after years of wear and tear along with soiling, scrapbook glue and the very likely possibility of being worn in the weather. The normally stiff cheesecloth becomes soft and misshapen after a while. I would guess this patch is slightly smaller in size as well from a mint patch as some shrinkage will occur in a heavily weathered wool patch like this. Very rare patch, but I would have thought a buy it now of $500 might have been more reasonable for this one. Did you buy it? Jeffro

Saw this one on Ebay. Patch is 100% real. It's just heavily faded, has a small repair and looks as though it's been worn and wet. Heavily used cheesecloth looks like that after years of wear and tear along with soiling, scrapbook glue and the very likely possibility of being worn in the weather. The normally stiff cheesecloth becomes soft and misshapen after a while. I would guess this patch is slightly smaller in size as well from a mint patch as some shrinkage will occur in a heavily weathered wool patch like this. Very rare patch, but I would have thought a buy it now of $500 might have been more reasonable for this one. Did you buy it? Jeffro

Jeffro, I did end up buying it. I thought the price was a little high as well but with the way these patches have been going for high prices lately, I went ahead and popped for it anyway. I guess that's why someone else didn't grab it already. Because of the wear and all I couldn't decide if that was cheesecloth or something else. I thought all along it was probably legit but I had a bit of doubt until I realized what the backing was.

Tom